Would you hand over your wallet to a mugger?

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,500
    Forum Member
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    Obviously no definate answer as circumstances dictate what you might do.

Quite right, what you do (or don't do) is governed entirely by the exact circumstances.

I've never punched anyone but given the slightest chance and my fist would be moving towards the perpetrators face, I'm fairly muscular with strong hands so I wouldn't hold back and it wouldn't particular bother me if I broke something.

Unfortunately that could be YOUR fingers :D

If you're hitting to the nose, use the palm of your hand - your fingers will nicely poke his eyes as well :p
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite right, what you do (or don't do) is governed entirely by the exact circumstances.

Unfortunately that could be YOUR fingers :D

If you're hitting to the nose, use the palm of your hand - your fingers will nicely poke his eyes as well :p

I was told heel of the hand to the base of the nose bone, if you're being serious. It's easier to get the soft parts, so the balls and the eyeballs.
  • Fists of FedorFists of Fedor Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes probably. Depending on the circumstance and what my mindset was like.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    I'd hand over my wallet personally. It's not worth taking the risk.

My life is worth far more than anything I may have in my wallet.

And the mugger doesn't even have to be armed. One punch in the right place, e.g. the temple and it could be game over. I've been mugged by two blokes and threatened with a knife (although I didn't see it). I just handed stuff over and lived to see the next day through.

Trouble is, a mugger who's actually willing to enact serious violence is probably just as likely to do it regardless of whether you comply or not.

Only time I've been "properly" mugged, I'd just finished taking off my shoes and handing over my wallet when I was hit over the head and had my head smacked into a wall, after which I woke up in hospital a day later.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if someone wasn't armed with an knife but pinned me up against a wall i'd still give them my wallet, what's worth more? your life and possibility of getting knocked out or worse, or a hundred quid at most and a few bits of plastic?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    Even if someone wasn't armed with an knife but pinned me up against a wall i'd still give them my wallet, what's worth more? your life and possibility of getting knocked out or worse, or a hundred quid at most and a few bits of plastic?

Dignity? Self-respect?
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Dignity? Self-respect?

Exactly. Worth far more than a few hundred quid.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,500
    Forum Member
    DianaFire wrote: »
    I was told heel of the hand to the base of the nose bone, if you're being serious. It's easier to get the soft parts, so the balls and the eyeballs.

As mentioned before, optimum response is entirely dependent on the circumstances - groin and eyes are good - but so is the throat, and often more accessible and not so obvious :D

If you're going for the eyes though, don't just give a 'gentle poke' - try and shove your fingers as far through the head as you can - particularly effective for ladies with long finger nails :D
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Dignity? Self-respect?

I just wouldn't feel that I had lost either of those if I decided that the risk of being stabbed was higher than my attachment to my cash tbh.

Choose life!
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I would - I've even got one on hand with £20 and a plastic card inside. Why risk it, especially if they have a knife or a gun?

Although I would love to see their faces when they open the purse and discover that the £20 is from a Monopoly set and the card is an old PAYG swipe card from a network that I no longer use. (Although, knowing my luck at times, I'd give over the purse that I actually do use and end up with the Monopoly £20 note.)
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some spotty oik did try to snatch my bag once. I was in an utterly foul mood as I was on my way to the hospital. I'd been told that morning that I could take my baby home so I'd gone home to fetch stuff that was needed and as I was leaving the house to return to the hospital they rang to say they'd changed their mind, so to say I was mighty pissed with the world was an understatement and this stupid kid trying to take my bag was the straw that broke the camels back. I frightened the kid to death and he legged it.

But who knows how I'd react if someone else tried to mug me. It's one thing to take on a youth who I can take in a fight especially when I'm in a rage but someone big with a knife, that's a different kettle of fish,
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Trouble is, a mugger who's actually willing to enact serious violence is probably just as likely to do it regardless of whether you comply or not.

Only time I've been "properly" mugged, I'd just finished taking off my shoes and handing over my wallet when I was hit over the head and had my head smacked into a wall, after which I woke up in hospital a day later.

Nothing in life is certain, but IMO you are more likely to be seriously injured if you put up resistance.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Dignity? Self-respect?

Dignity and self respect goes out the window, if your life could be on the line.

I'd rather be a living wimp/coward than a dead or seriously injured hard man. And for what. Some money, a mobile phone/gadget, some bits of plastic etc.

That's probably why I've never had the impulsion to join a gang.
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the UK, I would be brave/idiotic and not hand over my valuables. I would take the risk that any guns I'm threatened with are fake, and that I could outrun any knife-wielding lunatic. Run, scream, kick 'em in the ball-sack, jab them in the eyes with my house key, sink my heel into their toes...don't give up without a fight. That way at least, they'll think twice before doing shit like that again. It would give them a greater taste of their own medicine than a community order if they were arrested later on.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be fkd.
    I never use wallets.
    Can't stand them.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be fkd.
    I never use wallets.
    Can't stand them.

:D:D:D
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As mentioned before, optimum response is entirely dependent on the circumstances - groin and eyes are good - but so is the throat, and often more accessible and not so obvious :D

If you're going for the eyes though, don't just give a 'gentle poke' - try and shove your fingers as far through the head as you can - particularly effective for ladies with long finger nails :D

Good stuff! With the nose bone/heel of the hand thing, I was told to aim the force towards the back of the head. I imagine it's the same thing with the soft parts - don't stop because anatomy says you should. Will bear the throat in mind.

Having said that, my life would need to be in danger. They can have the damn wallet, because with my luck I'd end up with the one knifey teenager who'd stick the thing in my gut by accident when they were aiming for a small wound.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to travel with a dummy wallet with a few dollars in, for such occasions, with my real money stashed inside a tubigrip on one leg. Never needed it tho.
  • TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just want to say, won't hitting the mugger just cause the mugger to react by accidentally stabbing you?

The best way would be to disarm the mugger but that's easily said than done, since they are holding a kitchen knife.

Unfortunate for me, my build is on the skinny side and it's something that runs in the family, probably in the genes. So the chances of me fending off someone would be tough.

I don't see the sense in protecting one's "pride", with the chance of being fatally injured. Also in particular London, if you're faced with a mugger there, it's best to hand over your wallets and belongings, as I feel muggers there are more likely to stab you.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tanky wrote: »
    I just want to say, won't hitting the mugger just cause the mugger to react by accidentally stabbing you?

The best way would be to disarm the mugger but that's easily said than done, since they are holding a kitchen knife.

Unfortunate for me, my build is on the skinny side and it's something that runs in the family, probably in the genes. So the chances of me fending off someone would be tough.

I don't see the sense in protecting one's "pride", with the chance of being fatally injured. Also in particular London, if you're faced with a mugger there, it's best to hand over your wallets and belongings, as I feel muggers there are more likely to stab you.

That's what I thought. I have done a lot of knife defence work and could probably disarm most people, and break their arm in the process. However doing it in the gym and doing it for real is a different kettle of fish. If it were a skinny teenage lad, I would confidently disarm them. If it were a 6ft6 heavily built man, I may not be so sure. It all depends on the situation. I have had 2 knives pulled on me at work on the doors before, but I simply stepped inside, shut the door and radioed for police backup. They can't stab through a door at the end of the day.
  • Fists of FedorFists of Fedor Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I did see a knife and do not have a handy door to step through and lock behind me, rationally the thing I would do is hand my wallet over. Granted my diginity, self respect might take a battering etc and I certainly wouldn't be happy about it at the time, but for me what is two cards which can be cancelled and £20 in cash, rationally it's not worth the risk of getting stabbed. However human beings aren't necessarily rational creatures at the best of times, let alone under stress.

Obviously if somebody should feel that more than a wallet is at risk, that's another kettle of fish.
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Good stuff! With the nose bone/heel of the hand thing, I was told to aim the force towards the back of the head. I imagine it's the same thing with the soft parts - don't stop because anatomy says you should. Will bear the throat in mind.

Having said that, my life would need to be in danger. They can have the damn wallet, because with my luck I'd end up with the one knifey teenager who'd stick the thing in my gut by accident when they were aiming for a small wound.

Your body unconsciously slows you down before you hit your target so if you picture it like you're trying to hit through to the back of the head you won't slow down before hitting the front. I'd probably feel like handing over my wallet but as others have said you can't say for sure because every situation is different. I do Krav Maga and boxing so would hope to stand a good chance if it came down to a fight but like Pumping Iron said it's different doing it in controlled conditions and doing it for real. I'd try figuring out if I had a good chance of running away. If I was sure they wouldn't hurt me after taking my wallet I'd definitely be leaning towards that.
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alot of the time they want your mobile because most people carry a mobile thats worth several hundred pounds in there pocket
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I would like to think i'd karate chop them into the nearest wall, but the reality is I'd probably scream like a little girl, arms flailing in the air all the while doing the moron dance.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much what has already been said, but the best option if you can take it is to avoid contact, so run like hell.

Otherwise if you can't avoid it then go for eyes, nose, throat, diaphragm or knees, but don't mess around.