Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard Torres is available on a free?

Wouldn't take him if they paid us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It comes to something when Torres is being suggested 😞

Don't know if it's true but rumours suggest Rodgers is not safe, J W Henry wanted him gone and if results don't improve soon he might still loose his job. A lot of this has come from Collymore who I think usually has an axe to grind... I find these rumours difficult to believe. If you all want to find out more google the information......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Squibbles wrote: »
    It comes to something when Torres is being suggested ��

Don't know if it's true but rumours suggest Rodgers is not safe, J W Henry wanted him gone and if results don't improve soon he might still loose his job. A lot of this has come from Collymore who I think usually has an axe to grind... I find these rumours difficult to believe. If you all want to find out more google the information......

Stan Collymore lol

Exactly how does an owner of a club want a manager gone without actually sacking him? Henry could sack him whenever he wanted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never believe what Collymore says personally. Which I indicated in my post.

Decided to leave it to the readers here to make up there own minds - if it wasn't me someone would posted the rumours.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Malbren wrote: »
    So was ours - Mario Balotelli has been pretty abysmal!
    I think the link to doing a Spurs is not the position but more they had plenty of dough from the Bale sale and didn't improve the team much with it. We had plenty of dough from the Suarez sale and pretty much wasted the lot on players for the future!

The point is Soldado was to spearhead Spurs' attack and cost £26m. Balotelli was a partner for our best striker and cost £16m. We lost our best striker to injury and cannot be judged until he's back whereas Spurs played theirs and he was dreadful.

I don't agree we wasted money on players for the future. It's only a waste if they prove to be not worth the investment and we don't know that yet. Of all the signings, only Balotelli and Lovren look really dubious and the latter may improve and is certainly not a complete dud. Lallana and Moreno I like and Markovic will come good I'm sure. Our squad has more depth and it's only the Sturridge injury coupled with the abject form of Balotelli (ongoing) and Lambert (initially) that's really knocked us back. Lambert was always going to be a bit part player and the fee was fine for a player of his quality as a short term squad bolster.

Origi will join us and hopefully knit into the system. We don't necessarily need him to score a hatful (although it would be nice) more create the space and make the runs to make our system work again. Balotelli will never do that and so needs another player alongside him to do it. I'd rather get rid and get a player with the work ethic and cleverness of Suarez - again, not necessarily the same quality (we'd be VERY lucky) but just to bring similar attributes.

I'd swap Balotelli for Bony, Benteke, Ings, Austin, Berahino, Sakho or quite a few others as at least they'd fit better. I'd also try a few academy players ahead of him as I'm that unconvinced that he'll ever adapt.
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    The point is Soldado was to spearhead Spurs' attack and cost £26m. Balotelli was a partner for our best striker and cost £16m. We lost our best striker to injury and cannot be judged until he's back whereas Spurs played theirs and he was dreadful.

I don't agree we wasted money on players for the future. It's only a waste if they prove to be not worth the investment and we don't know that yet. Of all the signings, only Balotelli and Lovren look really dubious and the latter may improve and is certainly not a complete dud. Lallana and Moreno I like and Markovic will come good I'm sure. Our squad has more depth and it's only the Sturridge injury coupled with the abject form of Balotelli (ongoing) and Lambert (initially) that's really knocked us back. Lambert was always going to be a bit part player and the fee was fine for a player of his quality as a short term squad bolster.

Origi will join us and hopefully knit into the system. We don't necessarily need him to score a hatful (although it would be nice) more create the space and make the runs to make our system work again. Balotelli will never do that and so needs another player alongside him to do it. I'd rather get rid and get a player with the work ethic and cleverness of Suarez - again, not necessarily the same quality (we'd be VERY lucky) but just to bring similar attributes.

I'd swap Balotelli for Bony, Benteke, Ings, Austin, Berahino, Sakho or quite a few others as at least they'd fit better. I'd also try a few academy players ahead of him as I'm that unconvinced that he'll ever adapt.

The fact is that we spent a fortune in the summer to replace the goals of Suarez - for the here and now. Not the future. He scored 31 goals alone. The entire squad this season has scored 19 compared to 34 at this point last season.

Sick of hearing how things 'may' come good, 'hopefully' they will etc. There are never any definites at this club anymore, it's always what ifs and could be's. I think one of the only definites at this club is that Rodgers was given money to spend on replacing those goals and he failed miserably.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    promo-only wrote: »
    The fact is that we spent a fortune in the summer to replace the goals of Suarez - for the here and now. Not the future. He scored 31 goals alone. The entire squad this season has scored 19 compared to 34 at this point last season.

Sick of hearing how things 'may' come good, 'hopefully' they will etc. There are never any definites at this club anymore, it's always what ifs and could be's. I think one of the only definites at this club is that Rodgers was given money to spend on replacing those goals and he failed miserably.

Does Rodgers have overall responsibility for the comittee though, what do Ayre and Gordon do as part of this comittee, same for Fallows and Hunter?
  • Options
    LONERIDER37LONERIDER37 Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You make 16M sound like chicken feed, it isn't. For 16m we should get more than Balo has given us though.
    Of course we can be judged before he's back. if we werent a one man team with Suarez we certainly shouldnt be with Sturridge. As Promo only says BR had the money available to ensure we werent left playing Skrtel as striker!
    Well they are clearly not players for the now considering our performances this season and the fact half of them cant even make the squad when we are playing as badly as we are!
    More than just them two havent looked anywhere near good enough.
    Thats the issue, if Balo cant adapt what a waste of a buy! Sturridge will never go all season without further injury niggles.

Agree.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member

And yet Gary Neville doesn't think Rodgers has had enough money!

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/29326/9600559/manchester-united-v-liverpool-gary-neville-questions-extent-of-liverpools-spending

Granted, our net spend in the summer was only around £40m, but the club's finances seem to suggest we're not in a position to spend like United can. I'm actually quite surprised he's suggesting we spend irresponsibly. Regardless, £120m was spent on 8 players and I'm only inclined to say one has looked potentially impressive (Moreno). Obviously can't judge Origi yet but the other 6 (worth £95m) have done little for me.

One player I kept mentioning in the summer was Lacazette. He had an alright season last year and has scored 15 in 18 in Ligue 1 for Lyon so far in this campaign. Now his price has probably increased a fair amount. Same thing will probably happen with Bony if he keeps up his current form.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Manchester United v Liverpool: Brendan Rodgers insists 'nobody could do the job better than me'
    Liverpool manager convinced he does not face dismissal and says the idea is to make, not buy, world class players

Who in the current squad could he make world class?, Sterling could be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    And yet Gary Neville doesn't think Rodgers has had enough money!

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/29326/9600559/manchester-united-v-liverpool-gary-neville-questions-extent-of-liverpools-spending

Granted, our net spend in the summer was only around £40m, but the club's finances seem to suggest we're not in a position to spend like United can. I'm actually quite surprised he's suggesting we spend irresponsibly. Regardless, £120m was spent on 8 players and I'm only inclined to say one has looked potentially impressive (Moreno). Obviously can't judge Origi yet but the other 6 (worth £95m) have done little for me.

One player I kept mentioning in the summer was Lacazette. He had an alright season last year and has scored 15 in 18 in Ligue 1 for Lyon so far in this campaign. Now his price has probably increased a fair amount. Same thing will probably happen with Bony if he keeps up his current form.

Can see what Neville is saying but where does he seem to think this money will come from? Liverpool are already squeezed due to FFP and the owners don't have the wealth of others to try and get around that.

Man Utd can go and buy a Di Maria and pay him a fortune as well as loan a player and pay him a fortune in Falcao and will no doubt spend big again but Liverpool don't generate the income Utd do. That's just the way it is.

Neville is correct about the net spend but Tbh FSG could of banked the Suarez money if they wanted but it went back into the team. With that and delivering on the stadium promise, not really sure what else can be expected?

One thing which should happen is people saying 'the owners won't give the manager £100 mil again'. They didn't do that, they gave the manager proceeds from player sales which I think would be the continued plan.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    Origi will join us and hopefully knit into the system. We don't necessarily need him to score a hatful (although it would be nice) more create the space and make the runs to make our system work again. .

Never know, he may end up joining us sooner than we think. Apparently going through a rough spell at Lille and, if reports are to be believed, was booed off the pitch last night (although that might churlishness about him missing a penalty). Maybe do a January swap deal with Borini and see if they can get something from their seasons?
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The draw for the Europa League takes place on Monday, these are the sides we could face, we're unseeded so could face a difficult tie.

Borussia Mönchengladbach (GER) Club Brugge (BEL) Besiktas JK (TUR) Salzburg (AUT) Dinamo Moscow (RUS) Inter Milan (ITA) Feyenoord (NED) Napoli (ITA) Dynamo Kiev (UKR) Fiorentina (ITA) Legia Warsaw (POL) Olympiacos (GRE )Sporting Lisbon (POR) Athletic Bilbao (ESP) Zenit St Petersburg(RUS)

Inter Milan are the team we want to avoid with possibly Salzburg being the ideal draw.

I know a lot of our supporters would rather we weren't in this competition, but not me, it's another way into the CL and I always feel there's something missing when we're not playing in Europe like last season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swampdog wrote: »
    Manchester United v Liverpool: Brendan Rodgers insists 'nobody could do the job better than me'
    Liverpool manager convinced he does not face dismissal and says the idea is to make, not buy, world class players

Who in the current squad could he make world class?, Sterling could be.

I don't think he comes over that well in the press this morning tbh. I'm not one of those calling for, or hoping that, Rodgers gets the sack, at least not yet anyway. But I have to admit his stubbornness often irks me, and quite frankly given our current predicament and state of form, these 'I'm the best' sort comments are a little bizarre, totally out of place and don't him any favours.

There's a thin line between genuine confidence and being a bit of a tit. Mourinho gets away with it because he's the darling of the London paparazzi. I fear BR will just bring even more pressure upon himself and the team.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    snukr wrote: »
    The draw for the Europa League takes place on Monday, these are the sides we could face, we're unseeded so could face a difficult tie.

Borussia Mönchengladbach (GER) Club Brugge (BEL) Besiktas JK (TUR) Salzburg (AUT) Dinamo Moscow (RUS) Inter Milan (ITA) Feyenoord (NED) Napoli (ITA) Dynamo Kiev (UKR) Fiorentina (ITA) Legia Warsaw (POL) Olympiacos (GRE )Sporting Lisbon (POR) Athletic Bilbao (ESP) Zenit St Petersburg(RUS)

Inter Milan are the team we want to avoid with possibly Salzburg being the ideal draw.

I know a lot of our supporters would rather we weren't in this competition, but not me, it's another way into the CL and I always feel there's something missing when we're not playing in Europe like last season.

At least Inter would be a massive glamour tie. I'd rather avoid Kiev and Moscow and all the unnecessary distractions a game against Napoli would involve.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    At least Inter would be a massive glamour tie. I'd rather avoid Kiev and Moscow and all the unnecessary distractions a game against Napoli would involve.

I agree, but I'd rather face them later in the competition, the final preferably. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good article from James peace in the echo.
    Kinda explains the difference between us and Utd and the transfer policy of FSG.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/blood-red-brendan-rodgers-wasnt-8282671
    The Reds didn’t buy the kind of proven star quality United targeted, they went largely for promising young players with potential as is owners Fenway Sports Group’s wish.

Now a different manager may choose different players but those elite players with huge fees and huge wages? I don't see that happening.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think there is any truth in the rumour that Rodgers is after Torres again? I am hoping that after we get another beating tomorrow the board will see sense and send Rodgers on his way
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think there is any truth in the rumour that Rodgers is after Torres again? I am hoping that after we get another beating tomorrow the board will see sense and send Rodgers on his way

What do you think? A player on the slide, over 30 on high wages. Yep it must be true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    What do you think? A player on the slide, over 30 on high wages. Yep it must be true.

You never know with Rodgers, He thought Balloteli was a good idea
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You never know with Rodgers, He thought Balloteli was a good idea

How are they the same? One is young with potential and and the club can recoup a chunk of the transfer money spent.

The other is a player who hit his peak 5 years ago and since then has been on the road to decline and would offer the club nothing at all.
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member

seriously doubt it.

also what kind of fan wants to see the team lose in hope that the manager gets the sack!!

sad sad man!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    seriously doubt it.

also what kind of fan wants to see the team lose in hope that the manager gets the sack!!

sad sad man!!

I don't want to see them lose but there is a very high chance we will and if we do I want Rodgers gone as this $hite can't go on.
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want to see them lose but there is a very high chance we will and if we do I want Rodgers gone as this $hite can't go on.

Well thank the Lord you aren't in charge then!

I'm not hopeful about tomorrow, but I'm a long way from wanting the manager sacked.
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    I have not agreed with all Seelee has posted recently but I certainly second what he has said above - I too am far from optimistic - in fact for me it is the worst fixture we could have given the way our team is playing at present. We have often struggled to win at OT even when we have been playing well in the past 15 years so with us playing as bad as we are it is hard to see us winning or even getting a draw - but we live in hope.

Could do my usual mega post commenting on various stuff - I will try to do a short one instead - here goes - Torres - No!!, BR - give him a bit more time, transfer policy - short sighted - we need players to go into the team as well as some young promising players, EL draw - not Salzburg they won their group very easily, Sterling's wages - tough one but prob pay it as we do not want more talent going out the club, some of BRs more bizarre recent quotes - won't even go there, he must be under a lot of pressure - and that's all I am saying!!

I will conclude with my team for tomorrow - with little or no explanation of it

Mig- any other fixture I'd pick Brad

Glen
    Kolo
    Skrtel
    Moreno

Can
    Hendo

Sterling
    Stevie
    Markovic

Borini

Subs
    Jones
    Manquillo
    Sakho
    Lovren
    Lallana
    Allen
    Mario

so no Enrique, Lucas, Coutinho, or Ricky in the 18 - its all to do with form!! - altho I admit Lucas is a bit unlucky not to be in at all - not sure if I have missed anyone but that for what it is worth I think is the best eleven for getting us a result tomorrow. I doubt BR will pick anything like that team, I know that!! - I'd be amazed if Cam or Borini play and I think Markovic is unlikely too despite his good cameo the other day.

Whoever plays tho I will be behind them
This discussion has been closed.