Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ifs and buts once more but ultimately not good enough to win again over 90+ minutes.

Rodgers should be buying Skertel a very good Xmas present for saving his job.

I highly doubt he would have been sacked even if Liverpool had lost today.
  • Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    Could a bid for Austin be worth a try?
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member

He is goal scorer but QPR would never sell in January. He is there only chance of survival.
    Forum Member
    JMTD wrote: »
    He could be the greatest passer in the world, that's not going to change the fact that he's not a very good keeper or make the poor decision from Rodgers to drop Mignolet any better.

Was jones at fault for any of the goals. No!

Has he made the mistakes Mignolet has made. No!

I agree that jones isn't good enough long term but Mignolet had to be dropped. his performances were effecting the whole team.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    Was jones at fault for any of the goals. No!

Has he made the mistakes Mignolet has made. No!

I agree that jones isn't good enough long term but Mignolet had to be dropped. his performances were effecting the whole team.

I'd say he should be doing better with both today actually. Wasn't very good in the 3-0 loss last weekend either.

In cases at other clubs it can sometimes be understandable. Hart was dropped but had what seemed like decent competition for a few games not long back. De Gea had a period of being dropped for Lindegaard (actually a poor decision at the time but Lindegaard at least actually had a decent shout for standing a chance of making it at the club). In this case it's ridiculous because it's not a matter of being competitively dropped. Jones isn't a good goalkeeper and so it's sending all the wrong messages and potentially smashes any small bit of confidence Mignolet had left.

You'll now either have to hope Rodgers has a quality keeper target to bring in during the January transfer window or hope that somehow Mignolet uses being dropped as a way to motivate himself and prove a point when he returns. Either way Mignolet is a better keeper than Jones and shouldn't have been dropped for two big games the way he was for a keeper that's never going to be your number one.
  • Michael_VaughanMichael_Vaughan Posts: 12,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe I did react with too much passion by saying Skertel saved Rodgers job today:p

We should be looking at picking up the maximum 9 points over the Xmas period though.
    Burnley away on Boxing Day will be a battle which we must simply be up for.We then have the benefit of an extra days rest on most other teams who play next Sunday, by facing Swansea at Anfield on Monday 29th.Then it's Leicester at home on New Years Day.
  • Daniel_GleeballDaniel_Gleeball Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe I did react with too much passion by saying Skertel saved Rodgers job today:p

We should be looking at picking up the maximum 9 points over the Xmas period though.
    Burnley away on Boxing Day will be a battle which we must simply be up for.We then have the benefit of an extra days rest on most other teams who play next Sunday, by facing Swansea at Anfield on Monday 29th.Then it's Leicester at home on New Years Day.

They are certainly winnable games. Win those games Liverpool will certainly climb a few places. Things than won't seem quite so gloomy.
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No thanks. Bit of a flavour of the month if we are honest.

I hate how when we are not doing well we tend to jump on people like Austin as fans out of pure desperation, even though deep down we know it wouldn't work. Massive difference playing for QPR with no expectations to us.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    seellee wrote: »

I hate how when we are not doing well we tend to jump on people like Austin as fans out of pure desperation, even though deep down we know it wouldn't work. Massive difference playing for QPR with no expectations to us.

Indeed. Was the same with Berahino a few weeks back because he scored a few goals and now no one mentions him.
  • Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    seellee wrote: »

Not jumping. Just wondering.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torres coming back in January, surely its an early April fools :confused:
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Indeed. Was the same with Berahino a few weeks back because he scored a few goals and now no one mentions him.

I'd still have Berahino as a Sturridge backup as he fits the system. As does Origi. It's about who we can realistically get, even as a short term measure bearing in mind they may not be playing every week once Sturridge returns. Bony would be ideal long term - he's both expensive and off to the Africa Cup of Nations in January so not the short Vern fix we need. A decently loan striker may also be the answer. Torres would be intriguing as I'm convinced it's 80% in his head. Mario was no less questionable a transfers and he cost us £16m. Roll on January 1st for some fascinating times...
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only person to blame for our GK issues is Mignolet. Jones may not be good enough but his only playing due to Mignolet being a liability game after game. Surely there is only so long you can keep playing a GK who keeps making errors.

Mignolet has been a bag of nerves which is contagious and spread to others.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know he's had a bad press so far but I was impressed with your lad Markovic yesterday.
    Kept trying to make things happen, didn't all come off by any means and occasionally looked a bit of a headless chicken, but looks he could be quite a player with a bit more experience.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    I know he's had a bad press so far but I was impressed with your lad Markovic yesterday.
    Kept trying to make things happen, didn't all come off by any means and occasionally looked a bit of a headless chicken, but looks he could be quite a player with a bit more experience.

Think next season we are going to see a cracking player. Was a complete joke seeing fans write him off after a few games.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    The only person to blame for our GK issues is Mignolet. Jones may not be good enough but his only playing due to Mignolet being a liability game after game. Surely there is only so long you can keep playing a GK who keeps making errors.

Mignolet has been a bag of nerves which is contagious and spread to others.

I think it's unfair to just point the finger at your goalie tbh. The problems go much deeper than that.
  • clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think next season we are going to see a cracking player. Was a complete joke seeing fans write him off after a few games.

I've liked to look of Markovic ever since his 45 minute cameo in a friendly before he got injured.

Considering he is playing completely out of position, he's doing well, play him behind a striker (or left wing at a push) and I think he will be great.

Mustn't forget too that he is young, pretty much the same age as Sterling, add to that the fact that he's come to a new country, learning a new language etc... I'm happy with him, hope he can continue to improve and live up to his expectations.
    Forum Member
    TheSloth wrote: »
    I'd still have Berahino as a Sturridge backup as he fits the system. As does Origi. It's about who we can realistically get, even as a short term measure bearing in mind they may not be playing every week once Sturridge returns. Bony would be ideal long term - he's both expensive and off to the Africa Cup of Nations in January so not the short Vern fix we need. A decently loan striker may also be the answer. Torres would be intriguing as I'm convinced it's 80% in his head. Mario was no less questionable a transfers and he cost us £16m. Roll on January 1st for some fascinating times...

Nah Torres has just lost the ability he once had.

Pace is not there, movement is not there, sharpness gone also.

He is finished at the top level and has been for a few years.
  • LONERIDER37LONERIDER37 Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Lucas was good just got tired last 20 mins. Coutinho was our best player but scuffed a couple good opportunities.

Not sure where Henderson fits in to this system long term.

Yep agree with all above, 1.2 & 3.

I could see Hendo jogging back in the lead up to their 2nd, Toure had to come across, man not marked - goal :(
  • LONERIDER37LONERIDER37 Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    37 attempts vs United and Arsenal does show we're improving. Well sort this cutting edge in January and crack on. Good spirit today. Gerrard and Lucas were poor, though, and were wasteful along with Coutinho.
    Not sure where you get that from? Lucas was pretty decent but for one loss of possession late on and prior to that he had been up and down the field (if you believe BR :p - pitch if you don't) all game so was probably knackered. Nearly scored too, which these days is more than our strikers can! Stats from Echo site & LFC site :
    Prior to the match, Lucas Leiva was the Premier League's top tackler - out of players with a minimum of six appearances - as he averaged 5.2 challenges per game. Against the Gunners he made six, and what's more, so did his countryman Philippe Coutinho. You'd have expected it from Lucas, but it was great to see Liverpool's more attack-minded Brazilian match his tackle tally
    Yet you say he was poor - strange!
    Coutinho also was MOTM, yes he missed a couple of chances but he also created loads himself and scored, which for a not out and out goal scorer is acceptable in my eyes!
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,951
    Forum Member
    Sad news for big Sammi down at Brighton. I don't quite understand why it's went so wrong for them down there. Maybe that team had reached it's peak and was always going to go backwards a little for a season or so.

He could still come back into our defence any time he wants : / .

Interesting that ourselves Utd and Arsenal are all looking/needing some quality at CB to sort out obvious problems ( well I'm not sure we are looking at CB's just now tbh) . Those guys are difficult to find and expensive to obtain. Hummels is the name on everybody's lips and with Dortmund struggling there's a slight possibility he could be available, but at €40m he's way out of our price range.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    Sad news for big Sammi down at Brighton. I don't quite understand why it's went so wrong for them down there. Maybe that team had reached it's peak and was always going to go backwards a little for a season or so.

He could still come back into our defence any time he wants : / .

Interesting that ourselves Utd and Arsenal are all looking/needing some quality at CB to sort out obvious problems ( well I'm not sure we are looking at CB's just now tbh) . Those guys are difficult to find and expensive to obtain. Hummels is the name on everybody's lips and with Dortmund struggling there's a slight possibility he could be available, but at €40m he's way out of our price range.

Brighton is being run on the cheap - sell their best and get in loans.

As for buying yet another flipping CB - forget it. The issue is the manager rather than the players. As long as he regards defending as an optional extra this will happen regardless of who is in the back line.
  • mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

too many fans write players off too early, yes it would be nice to have players who hit the floor running, but many turn out just fine in the long run. The same goes for those who call for Rodgers' head.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure where you get that from? Lucas was pretty decent but for one loss of possession late on and prior to that he had been up and down the field (if you believe BR :p - pitch if you don't) all game so was probably knackered. Nearly scored too, which these days is more than our strikers can! Stats from Echo site & LFC site :
    Prior to the match, Lucas Leiva was the Premier League's top tackler - out of players with a minimum of six appearances - as he averaged 5.2 challenges per game. Against the Gunners he made six, and what's more, so did his countryman Philippe Coutinho. You'd have expected it from Lucas, but it was great to see Liverpool's more attack-minded Brazilian match his tackle tally
    Yet you say he was poor - strange!
    Coutinho also was MOTM, yes he missed a couple of chances but he also created loads himself and scored, which for a not out and out goal scorer is acceptable in my eyes!

He lost or was caught in possession on numerous occasions. He got in good areas and didn't make the best use ofhat i. Pressing and hard work is not all he should be judged on. He's been one of our bert players lately but I thought he was poor on Sunday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    Nah Torres has just lost the ability he once had.

Pace is not there, movement is not there, sharpness gone also.

He is finished at the top level and has been for a few years.

You can't lose ability. He would often make the same runs he made at Liverpool when at Chelsea but gave up often after a few as Chelsea played a shorter game. He may have lost a little pace but he's still fast enough. Being stuck out wide didn't help his cause and he may well be mentally shot beyond repair - but I still think there's a recoverable striker in there if he sorts his head out. Obviously there are far better options out there for us but I still find his demise intriguing as I don't think most of it is down to anything physical. It's like a football version of dartitis.
This discussion has been closed.