Options

Olympics opening ceremony. Marks out of ten

Comments

• Options
    NosnikraplNosnikrapl Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7 out of 10 for me.

Started & thought oh god its a bit worthy - no impact. Then it moved to the Industrial era & whilst still muddled the overall spectacle was superb. The 5 rings was brilliant. James Bond & Queen - the OMG moment. It fell down with the NHS stuff which just seemed frankly odd stuck in & is going to be bizarre for overseas viewers. I enjoyed music section even if some of it not to my taste. This section is very transferrable to rest of world. The section for 7/7 victims was very fitting.

Procession of athletes always takes too long but they enjoy it & at end of day that is what matters. The placing of the flags is the best I've seen. The end section was good & the torch / lighting of flame was just excellent. Worst part Paul. His family need to tell him it is time to quit.

Really an opening ceremony of highs, middling & ended on the definite low.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had the opportunity to use of all people, The Queen, and imo they blew it. It was a mess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    3/10 :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So you enjoyed the cheap use of film clips, the kids lighting the flame, the NuLabour focus group social outlook, and the reheated 'Cool Britania' smugness then?

If they enjoyed it then why rain on their parade,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glyn W wrote: »
    The most embarrassing bit of crap direction was that as soon as the national anthem in sign language started they cut to something else, completely defeating the object of the exercise...

Blame that on the broadcaster responsible for televising the ceremony- not the BBC.
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4 I was really disappointed :(:( and I found it very boring. The highlight for me during the ceremony was the James Bond moment with the Queen, thats all :) . Oh and the Symphonic Orchestra too :):) .
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10 out of 10 from me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At the end of the day we all wanted different things from the ceremony, for some it delivered the goods, for others it was a disappointment but one thing we should agree on is that we had to make do with what we have because there is no topping Beijing.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the end of the day we all wanted different things from the ceremony, for some it delivered the goods, for others it was a disappointment but one thing we should agree on is that we had to make do with what we have because there is no topping Beijing.

the delhi commonwealth games opening ceremony was just as good beijing

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xf1yx0_commonwealth-games-delhi-2010-openi_shortfilms
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thms wrote: »
    the delhi commonwealth games opening ceremony was just as good beijing

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xf1yx0_commonwealth-games-delhi-2010-openi_shortfilms

i missed that, thanks i''ll take a look.:)
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    8/10.
  • Options
    teapotsteapots Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved it! 10/10 :D
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave it a 9/10.

Docked a point for Macca at the end, and the Arctic Monkeys.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quintessentialy British
    this is not Beijing, this is Britain, we can laugh at ourselves and always have a sense of humour:)
    10/10
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing
    10/10
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul McCartney ruined it. It was a poor ending to a good show. He needs to retire.
  • Options
    Blowpop27Blowpop27 Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    8/10 Enjoyed most of it but dragged a bit in places.

As for the McCartney thing, he wasn't brilliant but it's hard not to include him if you want to pick someone to represent British music. All ages, all nationalities know the Na Na Nas of Hey Jude which proves his contribution in that one song alone not to mention the rest of The Beatles back category. Anyway, the guy is 70. I'm 40 and get out of breath running up the stairs nevermind playing to a billion people.

Love the cauldron - beautiful.

For the posters talking about too many black faces....I didn't actually notice to be honest. I was taking in the spectacle and not really counting how many non white faces I could see.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    It was a good enough ceremony, but why was there not a single tribute or reference to the NWOBHM, which in my opinion is absolutely bloody disgusting! I mean, where was the homage to Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Venom. Rainbow, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Budgie, Diamond Head, Deep Purple, Saxon, Cathedral et al?

Don't even get me started on Stephen Lawerence's Mother and that complete waste of oxygen, Shami Chakrabarti.

Oh yeah, does anyone here actually reckon Mohammed Ali knew where the hell he was and what was going on?
  • Options
    bearbum72bearbum72 Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I refuse to vote on this a your line up makes no sence. its supposed to be graidient its a mess. but ceremony was good well done queenie lovely aence of humour
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    zero out of ten.It was terrible and embarrassing.It was London centric and didnt reach the rest of the UK

You're funny!

The posts saying it was too London centred and those saying it was too UK centred when the games were awarded to London all cancel each other out so we can just get rid of those :-)
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Embarrassing 4
  • Options
    Twenty10Twenty10 Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Technically good, but the content, oh dear!

I mean, the NHS.......why????

Mary Poppins.........why???

I think I just found it all a bit weird. Not much to do with the Olympics at all.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twenty10 wrote: »
    Technically good, but the content, oh dear!

I mean, the NHS.......why????

Mary Poppins.........why???

I think I just found it all a bit weird. Not much to do with the Olympics at all.

Because it was celebrating everything quintessentially British! The NHS is something the Brits treasure. Mary Poppins featured as part of the "Look what Children's literature Britain has given to the world" segment! How people miss these points amuses me! I guess some people think that a British Olympics, that should celebrate Britain, should have included the rest of the world! It did, in the cauldron!
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bearbum72 wrote: »
    I refuse to vote on this a your line up makes no sence. its supposed to be graidient its a mess. but ceremony was good well done queenie lovely aence of humour

Like I give a shit, and for that matter your post is verging on unintelligible.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Content 3/10
    Staging 6/10
    Music 7/10 (it would have been 10/10 but Dozzee Rascal came in and ruined it)
    Costs 3/10
    Hard work by volunteers and all involved 10/10
    Queens Fascinator 3/10 - it wasn't really you Maam.