Father apologises after football fan son, 10, is engulfed in Twitter race storm

franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Father apologises after football fan son, 10, is engulfed in Twitter race storm for blacking up his face to look like his favourite player El Hadji Diouf

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256190/El-Hadji-Diouf-Father-apologises-son-engulfed-Twitter-race-storm-blacking-face-resemble-player.html?ICO=most_read_module A ten-year-old Leeds United fan has become embroiled in an online race row after he blacked up to pose with his hero El Hadji Diouf. "The child posted a series of pictures on his Twitter account provoking a backlash from users who said he was racist. But the primary school child said he did not realise it would be offensive and did it as a tribute to his footballing hero."

:confused: Is this PC gone mad? I can remember years ago kids wanting to like their hero Mr T, no doubt that would offend some nowadays.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be more concerned that my sons favorite player is El Hadji Diouf. That in itself needs an apology.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be more concerned that my sons favorite player is El Hadji Diouf. That in itself needs an apology.

I don't know why I'm laughing as I know nothing about footie players nowadays :)
  • CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no "race storm"

what happened is a couple of people who do not understand what racism is tweeted their ignorance. The father should have ignored them. Twitter allows you to get lots of opinion - just because someone shouts racism does not make it so.

The story should say "some idiots on twitter dont understand racism"

but that is not what the DM want - they want to Troll
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have apologised. I would have told them to sod off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have apologised. I would have told them to sod off.

Agree with you there, done nothing to apologise for imho.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Agree with you there, done nothing to apologise for imho.

No he hasn't, what the kid did is no different to dressing up as Harry Potter, when you are going to meet Harry Potter.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the police and the player himself seemingly have no problem with it, WTF's it got to do with a few Twitter Twats?
  • CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my ****ing god :rolleyes:
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

I agree with this. I still remember him spitting at Hermann Hreidarsson when he played for us. :mad:
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    Oh dear poor kid supporting leeds united.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Maybe the father should apologize to his son for bringing him into a world full of such miserable *****.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twits will be twits.
  • PotkettlePotkettle Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The footballer is the boy's idol, how is this anyway seen as racist? FGS get a grip.:eek:
  • FunctionFunction Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All it takes is one person to suggest that it's racist, and it becomes a talking point when all it is is an innocent picture that has nothing to do with racism whatsoever.
  • Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that puts the kibosh on my dressing up as B.A. Baracus for my birthday.:rolleyes:

I pity the fools.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the definition of racism that you look down on particular ethnic minority because of the colour of their skin? This kid was not looking down on anyone and is only really guilty of noticing that he has a different colour skin to his favourite player - not in any way racism. Maybe if we all weren't so scared of pointing out that people have different colour skin then there would be less issues of racism.
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it will be racist to even breathe soon
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Lenny Henry "White up" once?

I once went to a fancy dress party as Madonna and yet I'm male! Is that sexist?

So why is just a black person's skin colour not allowed to be imitated?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't the definition of racism that you look down on particular ethnic minority because of the colour of their skin? This kid was not looking down on anyone and is only really guilty of noticing that he has a different colour skin to his favourite player - not in any way racism. Maybe if we all weren't so scared of pointing out that people have different colour skin then there would be less issues of racism.
    More or less, yes, but unfortunately, ATEOTD, he did 'black up'. I doubt very much the idiots that screamed "Racist !" saw beyond that to what was just a young boy's hero worship.
  • CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hunter23 wrote: »
    it will be racist to even breathe soon

Black text will be banned in favour of an ethno-neutral shade.
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it wise for a 10 year old have a twitter account?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »

Seems his parent thought so. Maybe he's monitored pretty closely, who knows. I bet this episode has spoilt the young lad's enjoyment which I think is a great shame. Innocently posing with his idol gets him abuse from some :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    No more or less so than anyone else. At least they don't tend to use it to spout their hateful and/ or pointless opinions, unlike 99.9% of users.
  • CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am having second thoughts about getting that "black" coffee from Starbucks now

Mind you if I add "White" milk it will go "coloured"

jeepers creepers
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    No more or less so than anyone else. At least they don't tend to use it to spout their hateful and/ or pointless opinions, unlike 99.9% of users.

My thought was that he appears to have received a lot of hateful abuse that I would feel a 10 year old would not be well-equipped to deal with.