Options

HMV future to be discussed...

Comments

• Options
    HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    I've never seen the point in click and collect. You've got to go and pick it up anyway, so why not just go to the store and pick it up? Waste of time doing the 'clicking' bit.

So you know they have stock and don't have a wasted journey.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HMV going might help blockbusters - but they need to sharpen their prices as well.
    Blockbusters??? :confused:

Closed their one and only store in my local town a good 15 years back (still empty now). Who rents DVD's today......in fact who buys DVD's?? :confused:
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    I've never seen the point in click and collect. You've got to go and pick it up anyway, so why not just go to the store and pick it up? Waste of time doing the 'clicking' bit.

Is it really that hard to work out?
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

Closed their one and only store in my local town a good 15 years back (still empty now). Who rents DVD's today......in fact who buys DVD's?? :confused:

I buy DVD's!!!!
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Is it really that hard to work out?

When it comes to supermarkets, yes. When it comes with items that will obviously be in stock, yes. Other things no.
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

Me and a whole load of other people.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I buy DVD's!!!!
    Must be well loaded! :D
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I buy DVD's!!!!

Me to no way will I wait ages to download a film which buffers out halfway through. and Watch it on a laptop screen when I have a 42 inch TV in the room with surround sound.

When you live in the country Superfast broadband is still a dream here.

I refuse to use things like Netflix and whilst I did use Lovefilm I just got fed up waiting and waiting for the DVD I wanted to become available.
  • Options
    Erica CartmanErica Cartman Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good riddance.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    lala wrote: »
    This is capitalism. Adapt or die. Unfortunately for HMV, they are dead.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    mlayzellmlayzell Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    The streaming of rental media is another nail in HMV business, I could watch lovefilm.com from a smart TV, ITunes content through Apple TV or rent a film from Virgin media, there are so many convenient options!

The thing that needs to be looked into is how you can sell a download film at the same price as a physical copy?
  • Options
    hello.memberhello.member Posts: 7,635
    Forum Member
    Good riddance.
    No!!!
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have £25 worth on gift cards that I got at Christmas, are they still valid?
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have £25 worth on gift cards that I got at Christmas, are they still valid?

No.

Gift vouchers were stopped tonight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HMV were stuck in a time warp and couldn't adopt a strategy to combat losses. What you don't do is charge prices that can't compete with other High St retailers let alone the internet. The writing was on the wall a long time ago but the management were too blinkered to see it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HMV were stuck in a time warp and couldn't adopt a strategy to combat losses. What you don't do is charge prices that can't compete with other High St retailers let alone the internet. The writing was on the wall a long time ago but the management were too blinkered to see it.

If you are not making the money you made 5 years ago as people buy less physical format discs what do you do? :confused:

The technology in stores arrived too late. People will miss HMV so nobody can moan. Everytime you click and order online another shops going bust.

Support the high street is the answer otherwise there won't be one.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

Going on previous admins like game etc they started taking vouchers once a buyer was found.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

I can't tell if you are being serious or not?? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Going on previous admins like game etc they started taking vouchers once a buyer was found.

Comet was a one off as they started taking them again.

Also I wonder if somebody does buy HMV do they take on the existing debt I take it? That could be the downfall.

There's more chance of some stores being saved unlike Comet which relayed on big warehouses.

Zavvi saved about 15 stores after they went under and it was under Head Entertainment but that venture never lasted long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also with Game shutting half there stores last year does anybody feel HMV never did much in the gaming market?

Yes they did game launches but there walls of games never changed and the prices remained high. Even under new ownership Game and it's higher prices were STILL cheaper than HMV.

So they could have done more in the games market.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Again people will complain that they're not able to use gift cards, but they will still go and buy them from another store. :rolleyes:. Gift cards are a pointless exercise, i'm sure people would prefer £10 with no strings attached than £10 that must be spent in a specific shop anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't tell if you are being serious or not?? :(

He was being serious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Froggy88 wrote: »
    He was being serious.

Oooo no. :( :mad:
  • Options
    Kitt 2000Kitt 2000 Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is..
    Before Christmas I found the 22 dvd bond collection for £50 on HMV Online..
    Their stores where selling it for £100..

Now examples of this..

No wonder they are in a mess..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kitt 2000 wrote: »
    The thing is..
    Before Christmas I found the 22 dvd bond collection for £50 on HMV Online..
    Their stores where selling it for £100..

Now examples of this..

No wonder they are in a mess..

Well perhaps under new ownership there's room to turn them around.

Even *if* a large number of stores shut the current owners set up pop up shops quickly. They could easily get back to where they were depends on how things go.

Next PS3 looks to be disc based. Blu Ray is still popular so there's still a good 5-10 years of physical format. If no new owner comes along obviously supermarkets will just add more to fill the void.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    Again people will complain that they're not able to use gift cards, but they will still go and buy them from another store. :rolleyes:. Gift cards are a pointless exercise, i'm sure people would prefer £10 with no strings attached than £10 that must be spent in a specific shop anyway.
    Morrisons is basing one of their core marketing activities around gift cards at the moment, in exchange for a discount on fuel.