Men's opinions required on what to wear for first dates

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
Forum Member
Hello,

I was just wondering what guys preferred a lady to wear on a first date (please no pervy jokes:D). Would you prefer to see women in a dress, or skinny jeans, top and heels? Are heels also a must? I'm not that tall, so do tend to wear heels, but I find most of them incredibly uncomfortable.

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,

I was just wondering what guys preferred a lady to wear on a first date (please no pervy jokes:D). Would you prefer to see women in a dress, or skinny jeans, top and heels? Are heals also a must? I'm not that tall, so do tend to wear heels, but I find most of them incredibly uncomfortable.

Thanks

depends where i was taking you
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As grps states it depends where he is taking you. On my second date with my now husband I wore jeans and a top and heels to an Italian restaurant. Heels aren't always a must, I have worn flats too. Another time I wore a dress, depends on the weather and time of the year too. Don't worry yourself about what he likes, what do you like and prefer to wear. Wear what makes you feel comfortable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    grps3 wrote: »
    depends where i was taking you
    As grps states it depends where he is taking you. On my second date with my now husband I wore jeans and a top and heels to an Italian restaurant. Heels aren't always a must, I have worn flats too. Another time I wore a dress, depends on the weather and time of the year too. Don't worry yourself about what he likes, what do you like and prefer to wear. Wear what makes you feel comfortable.

Thanks both. First dates tend to be drinks, or casual dinner really, nothing too fancy.
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Comical Onesie and a thong!

Why waste time? Cut to the chase. Enter shouting Yeahhhhhhh Baby - BOOM!!! (and then stand there like the bloke in the Ariel advert, knowing just how wonderful you are.)

:D

Oh! You are a woman!!! - In that case, wear anything you like as men won't notice at all. :D
  • cpikey316_cpikey316_ Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (from a mans POV!)
    Wear the sort of thing you normally wear. Dont go mad girly with make up, dresses and heels if 99% of the time you normally slum around with no make up, jeans etc.

At the end of the day, what your wearing isnt THAT important, as long as you are clean and presentable.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Anything at all is perfect.

As long as she looked nice and was comfortable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smart casual, as I bet the man will be dressed like that, and he does not want to feel he has not made a effort as well, so for my part, love to see smart jeans, smart flattish shoes, nice top and not to much make-up.
    Forum Member
    Here was me thinking all men liked dresses and heels on a girl!
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holly Willoughby celebrity face mask would do it for most men.
  • cpikey316_cpikey316_ Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most of us do!

But we also want you to be comfortable!
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh most men won't even notice your outfit/hair/makeup!

Women dress for other women, not for men imo. We are oblivious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wear something that is easy for the man to remove (should that happy circumstance arise).

Also, surreptitiously slip him a piece of paper with instructions on how zips, hooks & eyes, buttons etc. really work. Include diagrams.

It's not the clothes per se the man is thinking about. It's how to smoothly disrobe the woman without unnecessarily interrupting the tide of passion that generally occurs at such times.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not a man so feel free to ignore my advice but wear something you are comfy and confident in....

Don't truss yourself up in some outfit you are going to feel uncomfortable in....

Also don't set the bar too high - if you turn up glammed up to the max then he may think this is how you always dress (if you do always get super glammed up then fair do's)
  • Contains NutsContains Nuts Posts: 2,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A nice top, jeans and heels would suffice plus a bit of perfume and a wad of cash in your pocket to buy the drinks.

Just look presentable and elegant and you'll be fine.

By the way I was joking about the cash. ;)
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member

Ummm yes......... but SOME women over-do that to the point of looking errrrrr ummmmm (something you would pay for!)

Seriously, just be yourself. That was the person they asked on a date so why put on something you are not and then will wrongly think that you have to keep it up.

Look nice, but don't over-do it. You don't need to!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey Cat, just something that represents you in your natural glory and as you are.

I wore a sexy white dress - with an indie girl olive green army coat on top and beige straw wedges below, with minimal make up and blow dried hair.

Make sure he sees you as yourself, don't make a huge amount of effort but look like you just flung something on and still look gorgeous. There's gotta be something in yours or your friend's wardrobes that you can obtain. And failing that, there's always very.co.uk who do next day delivery ;) x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you're comfortable in! Last thing you want is to be fiddling with uncomfortable stuff the whole way through the date :)
    Although I'm clearly female, thats what male friends have told me in the past!
    Forum Member
    Thank you for all your input folks! I think the conclusion is it should be something comfortable and presentable.
  • Blowpop27Blowpop27 Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Show up naked, bring beer
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just be yourself, don't try so hard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just be yourself, don't try so hard.

I hate it when someone spouts this shit. You want to impress, so whilst it's a good idea not to go OTT, you do at least want to make it look like you've made any effort.

OP, a nice dress, or jeans and a nice top will do just fine. What puts me off most is girls who have that horrible 'fashionable' messy hair piled on their head, or girls that look like they literally caked the make up on.
  • BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,

I was just wondering what guys preferred a lady to wear on a first date (please no pervy jokes:D). Would you prefer to see women in a dress, or skinny jeans, top and heels? Are heels also a must? I'm not that tall, so do tend to wear heels, but I find most of them incredibly uncomfortable.

Thanks

I would be so chuffed that a lady wanted to date me, I wouldn't notice what she decided to wear.

It really depends what the date is. If it's just a bar or pub, a jumper and jeans would be fine, if its a restaurant I would expect slightly smarter (dress/heels)
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as it is feminine and flattering it'll be fine.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    If you want him to remember your face, don't wear a low cut top.
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    I hate it when someone spouts this shit. You want to impress, so whilst it's a good idea not to go OTT, you do at least want to make it look like you've made any effort.

OP, a nice dress, or jeans and a nice top will do just fine. What puts me off most is girls who have that horrible 'fashionable' messy hair piled on their head, or girls that look like they literally caked the make up on.

I'd want any woman I met to be herself, nothing shitty about that. I hate it when men try and tell women what to wear.