Options

Netflix Super HD vs Sky Movies HD

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
Forum Member
Hi all,

I am a longtime subscriber to Sky and subscribe to both movies and sports.

I also have a TIVO box and yesterday an update became available that lets Virgin subscribers with a TIVO box stream Netflix content via the inbuilt modem on the TIVO.

As its a free months trial I signed up, and I have to say I was extremely impressed with the picture quality of the Super HD films they are offering. I know that these films have the same resolution as Sky, (1080i), but they are less compressed and according to the marketing blurb "near Blu Ray Quality".

Certainly the films I streamed yesterday evening were a definite step up in quality not only on the regular Sky HD film channels, but also those on demand :eek:

I never thought that I would ever consider cancelling the movies, and yes I know the Netflix films aren't the latest releases compared with Sky, but the quality is so good that I am thinking that Sky need to up their game and not compress their channels as much if they want to stay ahead of the competition. With Netflix set to stream 4K content in 2014, Sky is in danger of becoming the 'poor relation' in the HD picture quality stakes :eek::eek:

I will be watching developments with interest...............

Comments

• Options
    ozsatozsat Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    The films on TiVo via Netflix are 1080p - but you need to set this in your TiVo video setup menu.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Subscribe to UnblockUS and you'll be able to access more current content from other countries, try it, they offer a weeks free trial.

http://www.unblock-us.com/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Subscribe to UnblockUS and you'll be able to access more current content from other countries, try it, they offer a weeks free trial.

Hi, I am streaming through a Virgin Media TIVO using the boxes 10Mbps cable modem. I don't think there is a way to use UnblockUS with TIVO?

If there is a way to do it I'll definitely give it a go :):D
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    rmturpie wrote: »
    Hi, I am streaming through a Virgin Media TIVO using the boxes 10Mbps cable modem. I don't think there is a way to use UnblockUS with TIVO?

If there is a way to do it I'll definitely give it a go :):D

The link below might help, I have the same problem with Sky fibre, lucky for me I have Netflix on my ps3 which I can stream around the house, but it limits me from using their service on phone/tablet.

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291579-how-to-watch-hulu-and-netflix-on-tivo

I'm also keeping an eye open for developments with 4k (Sky and other broadcasters/platforms).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You can not access non-UK Netflix services via VM's TiVo.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozsat wrote: »
    The films on TiVo via Netflix are 1080p - but you need to set this in your TiVo video setup menu.
    Sky Movies HD is also 1080p (despite the delivery being 1080i). I would imagine the bit rate is comparable between the two providers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I scrapped Sky Movies a couple of months ago. Joined Netflix earlier this week and very impressed with the selection and the quality. Will definitely be sticking with it after my month trial ends.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Sky hd movies are much worse than they used to be, blacks are made up of leggo bricks in various shades of grey these days, its appalling they can call it hd
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wildgust wrote: »
    Sky hd movies are much worse than they used to be, blacks are made up of leggo bricks in various shades of grey these days, its appalling they can call it hd
    Could be related to the recent transponder squeeze.
  • Options
    HarshadHarshad Posts: 5,996
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Sky Movies HD is also 1080p (despite the delivery being 1080i). I would imagine the bit rate is comparable between the two providers.

It's not 1080p it's still interlaced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harshad wrote: »

Wrong.
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong.

Harshad is correct, it's interlaced.

Movies are usually supplied to TV broadcasters in either 720p or 1080i formats, the exception is where broadcasters support 1080p24 transmission which Sky currently does not. It wouldn't make any sense for Sky to buy in 1080p movies and have to convert them at extra cost.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky have lots on Demand but a lot seem to just be on Sky store? So even if you have the package you still have to pay more to watch?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you can get unblock-us to work with your device then fair enough, it's worth $4.99 a month. If you can't and simply want to access US content on your PC - ABC,CBS,NBC and FOX as well as Hulu and Pandora - try Hola. It's free. The Firefox plug-in works like a charm.

https://hola.org/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon194 wrote: »
    Harshad is correct, it's interlaced.

Movies are usually supplied to TV broadcasters in either 720p or 1080i formats, the exception is where broadcasters support 1080p24 transmission which Sky currently does not. It wouldn't make any sense for Sky to buy in 1080p movies and have to convert them at extra cost.

Sigh. If you're watching Sky Movies HD then, unless your TV cannot correctly detect 2:2 cadence, you are watching 1080p/25. You can store or transmit a 1080p/25 video as 1080i/25 (as is regularly done on satellite) but there's no such thing as a 1080i film (assuming a 24 fps source as in 99.9% of cases).

There's plenty of 1080p/25 content on all HD channels that is obviously encoded on-the-fly (transmitted as 1080i/25 and reconstructed as 1080p/25 once received). There's no "extra cost" in doing this. This is obvious when checking the streams.

What is missing on all UK broadcasting systems is 1080p/50, not 1080p/25.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wrong.

I'm not wrong it's interlaced all Sky HD is 1080i it's never 1080p to the end customer.
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's encoded progressive as all AVC will encode progressively if it can to save space wherever possible. The only thing thats indicates interlaced is the flag and the sky box output.
    I'm not wrong it's interlaced all Sky HD is 1080i it's never 1080p to the end customer.

A half decent TV and the difference on the sky movie channels between visibly the same stream in 1080p or 1080i over HDMI will be nothing at all. A very simple weave filter reconstructs the 1080p source.

Nearly all HDTV's cannot natively show 1080i without a de-interlacer( bar a few 1080i CRT's).
  • Options
    boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TiVo is 1080i there is no 1080p on tv..........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TiVo streams Netflix at 1080p - TiVo switches my TV to 1080p for Netflix. Also has a variety of frame rates!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ragnarok wrote: »
    It's encoded progressive as all AVC will encode progressively if it can to save space wherever possible. The only thing thats indicates interlaced is the flag and the sky box output.

A half decent TV and the difference on the sky movie channels between visibly the same stream in 1080p or 1080i over HDMI will be nothing at all. A very simple weave filter reconstructs the 1080p source.

Nearly all HDTV's cannot natively show 1080i without a de-interlacer( bar a few 1080i CRT's).

Yeah my box reports it as 1080i 25hz and it never changes didnt realise the tv was converting it back to p but the source is interlaced surely not.
  • Options
    drabbledrabble Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky is still better but only just from what I've seen, takes an age for the bitrate to increase on the TiVo, also getting annoyed having to signout on the TiVo everytime to get my 2 device limit back otherwise it will stay permanently signed it even if you exit the app.

But otherwise all is good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you have a 1080p tv - you have to go into the TiVo video settings to allow switching.
    Yeah my box reports it as 1080i 25hz and it never changes didnt realise the tv was converting it back to p but the source is interlaced surely not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have you set you TiVo video settings correctly? I se Netflix looking better than SkyHD.

My quality increase on TiVo is the same rate as on other devices.

Don't forget the Netflix app on TiVo is nothing to do with VM - they just provide a Netflix app which is provided by Netflix.

A four device limit option is available.
    drabble wrote: »
    Sky is still better but only just from what I've seen, takes an age for the bitrate to increase on the TiVo, also getting annoyed having to signout on the TiVo everytime to get my 2 device limit back otherwise it will stay permanently signed it even if you exit the app.

But otherwise all is good.
  • Options
    drabbledrabble Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ozsat wrote: »
    Have you set you TiVo video settings correctly? I se Netflix looking better than SkyHD.

My quality increase on TiVo is the same rate as on other devices.

Don't forget the Netflix app on TiVo is nothing to do with VM - they just provide a Netflix app which is provided by Netflix.

A four device limit option is available.

It is setup correctly as far as I can tell when I moved the TiVo to test on the same TV.

The TiVo app also doesn't support profiles whereas my WDTV Live SMP does and has firmware from July, the WDTV is also quicker to Super HD which could be network related.

Both give off a shiny tint to the picture which I find annoying and doesn't happen with Sky.

Four devices means more money.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member

Your TV isn't 'converting it to P' - it's a misleading suggestion often posted here.

It simply 'converts' it to display on the screen, which is neither i nor P (which are simply broadcast standards - and don't apply to the screen).

The confusion arises because people claim the screen isn't interlaced - but that doesn't mean it's progressive either - it's not a line scanned device like a CRT, so neither apply in any way.

Assuming the original source is progressive, and 'sensible' encoding/decoding is used, then a 1080i50 broadcast should be identical to a 1080P25 one.

In either case the resolution is the same, and the only people who can see the difference are those reading what it says on the on-screen display :D