Christmas dinner

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is entertaining though for me to read :)
    Much better than those trolls who deliberately start up threads on religion etc just to get a reaction.
    Those threads are allowed to run and run and are purposely done to cause friction in my opinion.

Yup! Fair point :)
  • MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    Great. I'll give it a go. Sounds fairly straightforward. Maybe I should do a starter as well then. Would watermelon be appropriate does anyone know ? Thanks.

Haven't you tried discussing this with Geraldine? Surely she must have realised that you have very little christmas food in? Why hasn't she discussed with you what you will be having. It's all very odd.
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    Haven't you tried discussing this with Geraldine? Surely she must have realised that you have very little christmas food in? Why hasn't she discussed with you what you will be having. It's all very odd.

I told her to just leave it all to me so that she can have a lie in Xmas morning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Mo, one thing - very important!!! What about the gravy?
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    I told her to just leave it all to me so that she can have a lie in Xmas morning.

I think Geraldine and her parents are being far too trusting dear
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not chips for xmas dinner ! roast potatoes r best. if unsure get supermarket peeled and pre prepared roasting potatoes and put in oven for time stated.

if pre prepared potatoes too expensive just do mash. red potatoes very nice when cooked and mashed with butter and milk. parsnips just peel slice then just go in with the chicken or turkey. use packet bread sauce and packet stuffing to make things easier. voila xmas dinner.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    I'm beginning to wish I'd never asked. All I wanted was a bit of help but now I've got all manner of people poking their noses into my Xmas dinner. Just back off the lot of you. Back off. I'll have what I want for dinner.

That's awful mo - strangers poking their noses into your Xmas dinner. I wouldn't even let my friends do that and we know each other well.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    I'm not really sure how to do roast potatoes although I do like them when Geraldine makes them. Do you just put them in the oven ?
    Just google "roast potatos"
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    This might be my favourite thread ever :D Let me just clarify - sprouts have to be cooked now? Even though it's not Christmas day until Wednesday? Won't they be, like, mushy? :D

Actually sprouts are meant to be put on to cook by the 12th of October at the latest! I fear ones just now started will be inedible
  • hils0912hils0912 Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    If you haven't got your sprouts on yet, stick on in a boil wash in your washing machine for an hour or so... then leave to simmer till Wednesday, you should be fine.
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    I am cooking a turkey on Christmas Day but I'm not sure whether I should do mash or chips with it. Any advice ?

Hi Mo,

Just ‘eat out’; I’d be more than happy to make a financial contribution to the cost, just to see this thread tied-off.

Your ‘spoof’ post has run its course. It’s been fun but please move on. Merry Xmas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This might be my favourite thread ever :D Let me just clarify - sprouts have to be cooked now? Even though it's not Christmas day until Wednesday? Won't they be, like, mushy? :D

I see you haven't much in the way of culinary skills. Hopefully you are not cooking Christmas Dinner. Nothing will be ready until NYE! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TRIPS wrote: »
    Just don't do what Denise and Dave did one Christmas and take the frozen Turkey out the freezer 3 hours before cooking.
    For starters you could have Cup a Soup BUT with a twist, have it in a bowl.

I think there are health and safety implications here. You don't want injuries spoiling a terrific day.

Poor advice IMO.
    Forum Member
    I see you haven't much in the way of culinary skills. Hopefully you are not cooking Christmas Dinner. Nothing will be ready until NYE! :o

You're so right :D Alas, I've been so stressed out about my gravy I've had no time to think of the sprouts. Not to worry though, that boil wash in the machine sounds like a great idea, I'm going in. With the sprouts, not me. I do hope Mo is sorted with his gravy, because wars have started over less. Not that I want to worry him, obviously.

I saw elsewhere that someone cooks a chicken by standing it up in the oven with half a can of lager up it's arse - I think that could work on a turkey, although you might struggle a bit trying it with turkey dinosaurs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're so right :D Alas, I've been so stressed out about my gravy I've had no time to think of the sprouts. Not to worry though, that boil wash in the machine sounds like a great idea, I'm going in. With the sprouts, not me. I do hope Mo is sorted with his gravy, because wars have started over less. Not that I want to worry him, obviously.

I saw elsewhere that someone cooks a chicken by standing it up in the oven with half a can of lager up it's arse - I think that could work on a turkey, although you might struggle a bit trying it with turkey dinosaurs.

If chicken or turkey is not cooked through fully, it can make you really ill. Recommend you follow the cooking advice given on one of the well-known cooking sites, such as Delia's, etc.

Sprouts are best cooked by steaming - if you don't have a steamer, put a small amount of water in a pan (about half an inch) and then put the sprouts in with a lid on the pan (medium heat, make sure they don't boil dry) - they cook quite quickly, try one after ten minutes to see if it's cooked right through.

If you want to get them ready early, cook as above, then drain and replace the lid. To reheat, put a large knob of butter in the pan and swish the spouts around until coated, and then heat through for no longer than two minutes, shaking the pan regularly.

Dishing up and keeping everything hot can be tricky when there are a lot of items on the go, and getting the veg done early can help a lot. Carrots, parsnips, and most other veg, can be reheated in the same way using butter. Also, make sure the plates are hot,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ten minute sprouts?! :o

pmsl
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

pmsl

How long in Jackie's world then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My tried and tested recipe is earlier in the thread. Seems quite a few prefer the same method too. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My tried and tested recipe is earlier in the thread. Seems quite a few prefer the same method too. :cool:

Well I can't be bothered searching for that, but if you are not prepared to say, fair enough.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    Well I can't be bothered searching for that, but if you are not prepared to say, fair enough.

They should have been started in October I tell you!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should have been started in October I tell you!

LOL ... well if you're going to overcook, just as well make a good of it, I guess! :)
    Forum Member
    Mo, one thing - very important!!! What about the gravy?

I bought some turkey gravy granules. It says on the container that they make a tasty accompaniment to roast turkey.
    Forum Member
    owllover wrote: »
    That's awful mo - strangers poking their noses into your Xmas dinner. I wouldn't even let my friends do that and we know each other well.

Thanks. Some people just want to live your life for you. This is my Xmas dinner, not anyone else's, mine.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

pmsl

Doing my washing before my parents return from their holiday this afternoon. I didn't want to waste their water by doing a sprout boil wash too so I just chucked the sprouts in the machine with my dirty pants and socks.

I highly recommend this. They now have a wonderful lenor lavender aroma which I think will compliment our Christmas beef nicely.
    Forum Member
    I had the same idea Bex, I put my white sheets in with mine, on the intensive 60 degree wash. With hindsight, it wasn't the best idea I ever had, but I was thinking of the planet. I don't want to talk about it.

On an unrelated topic, if anyone would like some green sheets smelling of wet dog and farts, I can help you.

Mo-So glad the gravy is sorted. I was thinking that if the worst came to worst you could strain the sauce out of some pot noodles and use that, but your way is probably better.