Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Keep your personal life off the thread Joey!! Its a family forum!!!! :D

If you say so Canty :D:D:D:p:p:;-);-)
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    JoTaylor wrote: »

Sorry!! The bloody link will only post above your quote. MEN shitstirring about Buttner posting a pic on the beach. Yep leathering down the vodka cocktails in that Muslim place in public with strict alcohol laws.[/QUOTE]

TBH honest i wouldn't be surprised with Buttner, being caught out horribly out of position and in big trouble isn't new to him…….:D

In reality they could be shagging on the beach for all i care if they manage to galvanise the team and come back with some sort of sense of what needs to be done for the rest of the season. The fuss over this trip is beyond hilarious. I have hammered Moyes for many things but id like to think its at least been based in reality. The idea that he is rewarding failure is a joke.

EDIT :Jo, sort this quoting thing out!!!! Good grief, I'm hungover and i can't be easily confused today!! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Owen's at it again

@themichaelowen: Remember the little dickie bird I spoke about a while ago? It is officially chirping in my ear a little louder!!!

If it's Rooney signing a new contract he can shove his dickie bird
    Forum Member
    Keep an eye out for that Jo. She comes in here all smiley, totally messes with your quoting structure and then disappears without a word……..

She's not to be trusted…...
    Forum Member
    GetHoppy wrote: »
    Michael Owen's at it again

@themichaelowen: Remember the little dickie bird I spoke about a while ago? It is officially chirping in my ear a little louder!!!

If it's Rooney signing a new contract he can shove his dickie bird

Its clearly a 4 year deal for Rooney. Its amazing how much louder his "dickie bird" gets once its all over the national media….
    Forum Member
    Wayne Rooney is a fantastic footballer and should be a Man Utd legend, but in my eyes he will just be a commodity we used cos it was it was good for us.

He doesn't give a **** about Man Utd and i don't give a **** about Wayne Rooney.

I wanted him sold last summer but i understand why thats not a great idea. I'd still sell him TBH. However keeping a quality player is always a good thing so "woo!" apparently he is staying.

George Best, Dennis Law and Bobby Charlton are Man Utd legends in my eyes.

Roy Keane, Eric Cantona, Sir Alex Ferguson and Ronaldo are Man Utd legends in my eyes.

Wayne Rooney is a guy who played well for us.
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given Rooney's history I'd see this as a similar tactical move as Liverpool have done with Suarez. Stick a big contract on him to try to ward off the inevitable offers that come in for players who have previously seemed 'unsettled'. With Suarez I still expect a massive offer to come from somewhere and him to leave but it might work with Rooney.
    Forum Member
    Assa2 wrote: »
    Given Rooney's history I'd see this as a similar tactical move as Liverpool have done with Suarez. Stick a big contract on him to try to ward off the inevitable offers that come in for players who have previously seemed 'unsettled'. With Suarez I still expect a massive offer to come from somewhere and him to leave but it might work with Rooney.

Rooney is 28/29. If he signs he is her for keeps.
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Keep an eye out for that Jo. She comes in here all smiley, totally messes with your quoting structure and then disappears without a word……..

She's not to be trusted…...

I promise not to add any more links when I'm on my phone!! You wouldn't have me any other way though:D
  • JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »

I would be amazed if any others clubs would match the pay deal that Rooney is supposed to now have.
    He won't be going anywhere.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please Rooney is staying, rvp will probably go id rumours are true, so I wonder who we will get upfront,
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Please Rooney is staying, rvp will probably go id rumours are true, so I wonder who we will get upfront,

RVP's agent said yesterday there isn't an ounce of truth in the rumour and that he'll probably end his career with us
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,327
    Forum Member
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    RVP's agent said yesterday there isn't an ounce of truth in the rumour and that he'll probably end his career with us

With his injury record, how long is that going to be? 1 or 2 more seasons??
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spurs fan in peace .. honest :)

Do you think it's a gamble to give Rooney such a huge contract ?.

The wages, if true, will be on a par with Lionel Messi so what's going to happen if he doesn't turn in Messi-esque performances week in, week out ?

Is it feasible that Moyes has asked the board to give him whatever he wants to ensure he stays?

Interested in your thoughts.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Mixed feelings.

Not bothered about the wages although I'm sure it'll be used as a stick to beat him with by many fans, but the cost of replacing a player of his qualities both in a transfer fee and wages would probably be just as big if not bigger.

That being said can;t help but feel that the mantra no player is bigger than the club seems not to apply to Rooney any longer.
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,327
    Forum Member
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    Mixed feelings.

Not bothered about the wages although I'm sure it'll be used as a stick to beat him with by many fans, but the cost of replacing a player of his qualities both in a transfer fee and wages would probably be just as big if not bigger.

That being said can;t help but feel that the mantra no player is bigger than the club seems not to apply to Rooney any longer.

He isn't the first though is he?? Look how the club treated Robson through the 80's/90's. He got a way with so much off the park, and had so many injuries and yet the club gave him anything and everything he wanted.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Rooney is 28/29. If he signs he is her for keeps.

He's 28.

29 in October.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give Rooney £100k per week. Plus a £200k win bonus.
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leaving aside the money aspect I am pleased Rooney will be staying and as for being our new captain,well can anyone else see any other potential leaders on that pitch?, For me Rooney is the only candidate for the Captains armband.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    mrcynical wrote: »
    Give Rooney £100k per week. Plus a £200k win bonus.

I'd do the £100K a week and replace the bonuses with a £50K assist bonus, £50K goal bonus and £100K win bonus. He should be well sorted then and so should the results! Would only work for certain players/positions obviously, might have to tweak the figures though as could be expensive.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always wondered why football isn't apparently more geared up to the bonus scheme.

Speaking for myself, and no doubt many others, my basic wage is very much that. However, if I graft, put the effort in - I can earn far and above my basic through bonuses. And those bonuses are a mighty damn incentive to do better.

Seems obvious that football should be based on this...no? Maybe it already is and we don't hear about it.
  • skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »
    I've always wondered why football isn't apparently more geared up to the bonus scheme.

Speaking for myself, and no doubt many others, my basic wage is very much that. However, if I graft, put the effort in - I can earn far and above my basic through bonuses. And those bonuses are a mighty damn incentive to do better.

Seems obvious that football should be based on this...no? Maybe it already is and we don't hear about it.

its harder to do when its based on a team ethic rather than an individual

Say rooney was on a sensible basic but got a win bonus of 200k, he scores a hattrick but the defence let in 4 and he loses it. There comes a point when resentment kicks in that he is doing his job and losing out on a fortune because of others.
  • mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »

Would you rather have a high wage or rely on bonuses. Why would a footballer in demand sign a contract that doesn't guarentee a high weekly wage, particularly if he then has to rely on the manager getting the tactics, team selection etc correct and the performance of other player. Top players can and do demand what ever they want.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikeyddd wrote: »
    Would you rather have a high wage or rely on bonuses. Why would a footballer in demand sign a contract that doesn't guarentee a high weekly wage, particularly if he then has to rely on the manager getting the tactics, team selection etc correct and the performance of other player. Top players can and do demand what ever they want.

In my job, I'm never getting a big basic wage. I'd prefer it of course, but it won't happen.

The bonus however drives me to perform better. My better performance directly increases company turnover, and in turn, increases the ability to pay my bonus.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You sometimes hear about owners or chairmen offering cars and or huge bonuses to players based on individual games, such as cup ties, so they must believe that it works, to a degree. I may have exaggerated a little, but it would be nice to see pay linked to performance in some way. In reality however, it would be totally unworkable. Imagine if Nani thought he could bag fifty grand for a goal? We'd have to pay the ball boys a mileage bonus...
This discussion has been closed.