Options

Do you remember when the post used to be delivered really early?

Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm sitting here waiting for the Royal Mail to deliver something that needs signing for because it's recorded delivery, god knows when it'll arrive because they days it could be anywhere between 9.30am and and about 2pm. It's a pain in the arse, I'm not that old but I can remember when I was a kid waking up to the sound of post coming through the letter box or a knock on the door if it was something too big of that needed signing for. Nowadays your lucky if comes before lunch time!

A PITA if your waiting for something important, why does the post come so late these days?:confused:

Comments

• Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't that long ago when the post would be here at work when we arrived in the morning to open up, now we're lucky to get it before 12 because we refuse to pay the extra they want to get it delivered early
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We haven't had a regular postie in over 25 years, whoever finishes first comes back out with our post, so never had it here before 11am ever. We consider it a good day if it all goes through the right letter boxes usually it is dumped through first 5 he comes o and we have to deliver it to the other flats ourselves.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, the wonders of privatisation, eh?
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    We haven't had a regular postie in over 25 years, whoever finishes first comes back out with our post, so never had it here before 11am ever. We consider it a good day if it all goes through the right letter boxes usually it is dumped through first 5 he comes o and we have to deliver it to the other flats ourselves.

Up until about two or three years ago we had the same postie who'd be doing "the run" for years, and we always knew exactly what time our mail would come. He's now retired and instead they seem to send 14 year old boys in short trousers who do it when they can be arsed, and half the time we get our neighbours mail and they get ours. It's a joke.

My Uncle used to be a postie back in the day and he started work at 3am! We need to go back to those days.
  • Options
    lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our postman was Dave and he delivered our mail at 7.30am Monday to Saturday for years.
    Now it is delivered at 12.30pm or later never before
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a former Postie.
    Cutbacks.

In our office they did away with the four man nightshift who would have got 90% of the mail sorted for us coming in.
    This meant instead of hitting the streets at 7 we didn't get out untill 9 plus.
  • Options
    fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When we had two deliveries the first one came around breakfast time and the other before lunchtime. They said they would be doing away with the second delivery but they lied - they did away with our first one instead and now we don't mail until well into the afternoon. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    As a former Postie.
    Cutbacks.

In our office they did away with the four man nightshift who would have got 90% of the mail sorted for us coming in.
    This meant instead of hitting the streets at 7 we didn't get out untill 9 plus.

I think the actual frontline RM staff do a fantastic job and have to tolerate no doubt bullying management and a hostile public. I trust RM posties unlike the amateur courier companies.

Any discontentment about RM I suggest should be directed at idiots like Vince Cable, George Osbourne and Moya Green >:(
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not everyone can have the early delivery. Depending on where I lived some were very early some later some very late.

My nephew is a postie, and is always home before 11am.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    why does the post come so late these days?:confused:

Because they changed from two deliveries per day to one. They deliver to businesses first thing in the morning and residential afterwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Ah, the wonders of privatisation, eh?

This has been going on long before privatisation
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the actual frontline RM staff do a fantastic job and have to tolerate no doubt bullying management and a hostile public. I trust RM posties unlike the amateur courier companies.

Any discontentment about RM I suggest should be directed at idiots like Vince Cable, George Osbourne and Moya Green >:(

Why? RM started going downhill years ago
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Up until about two or three years ago we had the same postie who'd be doing "the run" for years, and we always knew exactly what time our mail would come. He's now retired and instead they seem to send 14 year old boys in short trousers who do it when they can be arsed, and half the time we get our neighbours mail and they get ours. It's a joke.

My Uncle used to be a postie back in the day and he started work at 3am! We need to go back to those days.

But then we had 2 deliveries a day, second post for use was between 11am 12
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Why? RM started going downhill years ago

Not in my experience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    We barely even get any mail here anymore. A letter that I've been expecting for two weeks still hasn't arrived.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in my experience.

When did they change to one delivery a day - before privatisation
    When did they start charging for deliveries before 9am - before privatisation
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Its a pain when you order things because you know roughly that it will arrive mon-weds but the post here can come anytime between 7:30-16:00 depending on how busy it is and which postman it is!

Postmen never wait long so even if you nip for a wee you are likely to miss it.
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/24089/victorian-mail-delivery-12-times-each-day

People used to use letters like telegrams sending and expecting to get a reply the same day.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first moved to Leeds I would get a delivery before I set off for work at 7.30am and when I came home in the evening there was often a second delivery. On some occasion I would come at lunch time to find the 2nd delivery already there.

I was at home at 5.15 recently when the mail arrived. (First and only of course)

I recently went out at lunch time on Sunday and came home four or so hours later to din three letters on my mat. Obviously not a RM delivery on Sunday but from a neighbour who had got them through his/her letterbox a day or two earlier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    We barely even get any mail here anymore. A letter that I've been expecting for two weeks still hasn't arrived.

What is Correos like then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    When did they change to one delivery a day - before privatisation
    When did they start charging for deliveries before 9am - before privatisation

Record price rises?
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a postie (of 36 years) and we used to be out delivering for 7.00 and could be finished for 9.30 - first delivery. Full timers went out on a second delivery.

Now we go out on delivery between 9.30 and 10.00 and our finishing time is 2.20. I 'van share' with a driver, meaning we do two deliveries between us. It takes us up to four and a half hours to complete.

If we can't get rid of a parcel, we are encouraged to leave it at a neighbours house, which adds extra time, as you go to the first house, then the second, then back to leave a note at the first. If first neighbour isn't in, try a second. It might only take five minutes, but six times means half an hour's walking added on.

My regular driver went off on long term sick (he's now on indoor duties at another office) , so for most of this year I've had a 'cover' driver - meaning I can have a different driver every day. OK if they know the delivery, but if they don't it takes longer to get round. (For example, the driver is supposed to take the larger parcels while I'm walk delivering. If he doesn't know the area, then I have to go with him to direct him).

Then of course as well as mail we also have the weekly leaflets to every house :kitty:
  • Options
    hils0912hils0912 Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    We used to get the post before going out to work at 7.00am. There have been times lately, when I have seen the postman in our street at 4.00pm.

We used to know our postman as it was always the same one, now it's a different one daily. Things change and not always for the better. Not all companies get their post early. The one I work for doesn't get theirs until lunch time if they are lucky!
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    now only get post every 2 or 3 days, as we have a long driveway!
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I add, if mail doesn't get delivered till 4.00, the post person is probably on overtime - they will have done their own duty first, then gone out again ;-)