Options

Clever tradition to fly Ebola infected Brits to London for treatment?

FlibustierFlibustier Posts: 994
Forum Member
✭✭

Comments

• Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I've never understood it either.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stupid in what way?
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    "Clever tradition" :confused:

The move will be in a very safe, very controlled manner and probably far less risk to the general public than the normal flights coming into Heathrow (where all sorts of contagious diseases can enter the UK without being spotted).
    It will also almost certainly give UK healthcare workers a chance to get some more experience with dealing with patients with the disease at far less risk to themselves than if they were abroad, which could be extremely useful in the future.
    Not to mention treating him in a modern, secure isolation facility will potentially assist in finding out more about the disease, which in itself is a very worthwhile cause.

This completely ignores the fact that he's a UK citizen who has been attempting to assist others, so we should be taking care of him in return.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No different to the Americans who got flown home. I understand they have recovered now.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Nilrem wrote: »
    "Clever tradition" :confused:

The move will be in a very safe, very controlled manner and probably far less risk to the general public than the normal flights coming into Heathrow (where all sorts of contagious diseases can enter the UK without being spotted).
    It will also almost certainly give UK healthcare workers a chance to get some more experience with dealing with patients with the disease at far less risk to themselves than if they were abroad, which could be extremely useful in the future.
    Not to mention treating him in a modern, secure isolation facility will potentially assist in finding out more about the disease, which in itself is a very worthwhile cause.

This completely ignores the fact that he's a UK citizen who has been attempting to assist others, so we should be taking care of him in return.

Fine. Take care of him over there.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry, we've still got one bed left if theres an outbreak over here, so we'll be fine, as the govt. say.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Treating him in a corridor is only going to end in tears.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Fine. Take care of him over there.

Dont worry about this case, as we know he has got it. If your going to worry then think of the thousands of people back and forth though the uk everyday. who could be carrying it but show no signs as it can take up to 21 days to show. But then again why worry about things that are out of your control, i dont as it does not change anything
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How's it a "tradition", let alone a "clever tradition"?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the US can do it with great success then I'm sure we can, we're only talking about one person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I somehow doubt the US are taking their victims to a public hospital in New York not that that exists anyway.

We put the guy in an frigging NHS hospital in North London. Does that not strike you as odd?
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    Flibustier wrote: »
    I somehow doubt the US are taking their victims to a public hospital in New York not that that exists anyway.

We put the guy in an frigging NHS hospital in North London. Does that not strike you as odd?

It strikes me as odd. London is a heavily congested city, easy to transmit infections, and I also don't believe patients should be brought to a public NHS hospital. However, the Royal Free seems to be the only hospital with the appropriate facilities to treat such a serious infection while protecting their staff - though the set-up in the video shown in the link seems rather farcical when I think about all the care that most critically ill patients require in a normal intensive care unit. the protection all seems really cumbersome and not very practical for delivering high quality care.

Myself and my colleagues are just relieved our hospital isn't a receiving hospital for these patients but I do know several people who work at the Royal Free ICU and I am concerned for their safety.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well said.
  • Options
    fastzombiefastzombie Posts: 10,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As scary as Ebola is, given the precautions they're going to take and the fact it's not an airborne virus I'm not too worried. More scary is the idea of biologists tinkering away at creating superviruses in some lab somewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw the precautions they were taking online. It is what you would expect from the NHS.. not very impressive...
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flibustier wrote: »
    I saw the precautions they were taking online. It is what you would expect from the NHS.. not very impressive...

And your professional qualifications for making such a judgement are?
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fastzombie wrote: »
    As scary as Ebola is, given the precautions they're going to take and the fact it's not an airborne virus I'm not too worried. More scary is the idea of biologists tinkering away at creating superviruses in some lab somewhere.

It was when he was up in that plane :D
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I don't know why people are so scared giving the fact that Ebola is not an airborne disease. Even if somone of the hospital staff gets infected, they would be in quarantine in hospital, and it's very unlikely that any of them could spread the virus. We never treated Ebola in Europe before, and I see it as a great opportunity for science, so doctors can learn more about the virus and how to treat it. They can't learn much about it in Africa, as they do not have enough recourses there. Besides, the patient is a british citizen.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shows how little some people know here.

There are far more infectious diseases than Ebola.

Standard quarantine in a developed country is perfectly capable of managing the risk and preventing the spread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    Besides, the patient is a british citizen.

:( ...
  • Options
    F2kSelF2kSel Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    I don't know why people are so scared giving the fact that Ebola is not an airborne disease. Even if somone of the hospital staff gets infected, they would be in quarantine in hospital, and it's very unlikely that any of them could spread the virus. We never treated Ebola in Europe before, and I see it as a great opportunity for science, so doctors can learn more about the virus and how to treat it. They can't learn much about it in Africa, as they do not have enough recourses there. Besides, the patient is a british citizen.

Not true someone in this country accidentally got infected many years ago.

They survived.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Shows how little some people know here.

There are far more infectious diseases than Ebola.

Standard quarantine in a developed country is perfectly capable of managing the risk and preventing the spread.

You misunderstand. This isn't a thread about rational science, it's about blind prejudice.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not very contagious, unless you are a poor African. We're not going to have an outbreak because of this.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    You misunderstand. This isn't a thread about rational science, it's about blind prejudice.

That made me chuckle :D
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    F2kSel wrote: »
    Not true someone in this country accidentally got infected many years ago.

They survived.

Some people survive. Not everyone who gets Ebola dies of it. I'm sure that many moons ago they did not have medicine as advanced as it is today. You are saying that if someone had died of Ebola in UK say 20 years ago, we should stop treating Ebola patients altogether. The doctor in America and the nurse who got infected have made a full recovery. Medical staff who work with infected people, always work in small groups of highly trained professionals and are fully equipped and protected.