EE and Three 800 Mhz Finally Happening?

Comments

• RAN ManRAN Man Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    jchamier wrote: »
    Apple launched the LTE capable 5 into their home market where it was the first small phone with LTE support. It was thought one of the reasons for the huge phablets existing was because you needed a serious battery to power the LTE chipsets of the day - Apple apparently bought Qualcomm's entire stock of the first run of their 3rd generation chipset.

It was the EU who lost out as the EU took forever to agree a frequency standard. Apple prefers to make one model for the world, compared to Samsung / LG / Nokia etc, who end up making lots of regional variations. The iPhone 5s is the first LTE phone to support 13 bands at the same time, due to clever antenna design. Samsung didn't manage this ;-)

Seriously you can throw muck anywhere, but half of it has to stick with the fact LTE was very new and the EU screwed up the frequencies being different to the established countries.

Ermm, you seem to have made a few mistakes in your post?

The iphone 5 was not the first "normal" sized LTE smartphone, but is was indeed the smallest.:p According to GSMArena.com, which I have no reason to doubt, all the below were available in 2012 with 800 and 1800 support:

Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Sony Xperia V
    Nokia Lumia 820
    LG Optimus G E975
    Samsung I9305 Galaxy S III
    Samsung Galaxy S II HD LTE
    Motorola RAZR HD XT925
    Asus PadFone 2
    HTC One SV
    Samsung Galaxy S II LTE I9210
    Huawei Ascend P1 LTE
    LG Optimus True HD LTE P936

Frequency bands for global telecommunications standards are set globally, not by the EU or any other regional body. The delay in 800 for the UK was due to the delayed auction (for various reasons) and the time taken to clear freeview from it.

These multiple iPhone 5s versions must be made up then?

iPhone 5s
    Model A1533 (GSM)
    Model A1533 (CDMA)
    Model A1453
    Model A1457
    Model A1530
    Model A1518

Don't get me wrong, Apple make great devices (although not great phones IMHO), but they have not been on the cutting edge of LTE devices, and in fact never have been on the cutting edge in radio terms for iPhones.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    Lol WiMax.

But WiMax is the future bro. Sprint said so in 2006.....

But yeh. As Lucan said, VoLTE and 800Mhz are currently in closed trials and aren't far off launch. If all goes well, before the end of the year. If all goes poorly then beginning of 2015.

One things for sure though, Three will be rolling out 800Mhz fairly aggressively to try and get 98% coverage.
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    If Three can roll-out 800MHz aggressively like I think they will, they may end up being the best network, with excellent, indoor 4G coverage and speeds, all at no extra cost.

If this happens, EE will have to do something drastic to get customers away from Three. And no, I don't mean charging extra for LTE-A :p
  • RAN ManRAN Man Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    If Three can roll-out 800MHz aggressively like I think they will, they may end up being the best network, with excellent, indoor 4G coverage and speeds, all at no extra cost.

If this happens, EE will have to do something drastic to get customers away from Three. And no, I don't mean charging extra for LTE-A :p

5Mhz of 800 will give you average speeds somewhere in the 8Mbps range (+- some) so will not deliver great 4G speeds in isolation.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RAN Man wrote: »

The iphone 5 was not the first "normal" sized LTE smartphone, but is was indeed the smallest.:p According to GSMArena.com, which I have no reason to doubt, all the below were available in 2012 with 800 and 1800 support:

Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Sony Xperia V
    Nokia Lumia 820
    LG Optimus G E975
    Samsung I9305 Galaxy S III
    Samsung Galaxy S II HD LTE
    Motorola RAZR HD XT925
    Asus PadFone 2
    HTC One SV
    Samsung Galaxy S II LTE I9210
    Huawei Ascend P1 LTE
    LG Optimus True HD LTE P936

Frequency bands for global telecommunications standards are set globally, not by the EU or any other regional body. The delay in 800 for the UK was due to the delayed auction (for various reasons) and the time taken to clear freeview from it.

iPhone 5s
    Model A1533 (GSM)
    Model A1533 (CDMA)
    Model A1453
    Model A1457
    Model A1530
    Model A1518

Don't get me wrong, Apple make great devices (although not great phones IMHO), but they have not been on the cutting edge of LTE devices, and in fact never have been on the cutting edge in radio terms for iPhones.

Well said :)

Apple do indeed make variants of the iPhone for specific markets mostly for CDMA or Chinese markets and have been doing this since the iPhone 3G.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3939
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,594
    Forum Member
    That is utter nonsense, and lies :D

In Canada, Rogers Wireless launched LTE network on July 7, 2011. Apple had plenty of time to plan!

Rogers LTE operates on 700MHz, the iPhone 5 is 700MHz compatible...

;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    Rogers LTE operates on 700MHz, the iPhone 5 is 700MHz compatible...

;-)

Over year before the iPhone 5 was released so Apple are hardly at the cutting edge :p
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,594
    Forum Member
    Over year before the iPhone 5 was released so Apple are hardly at the cutting edge :p

Did you read that back to yourself before posting? I'm not sure if it is supposed to make sense or not ;-).
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,650
    Forum Member
    RAN Man wrote: »

I wonder which LTE chip those handsets used and how much current it required? Anandtech and other sites did the analysis as to why no LTE in the iPhone 4s and concluded it was down to battery life issues in the early chipsets.

Yes apple make multiple models, many of which are actually the same hardware with different software loaded into the radio in the factory. This saves paying CDMA licence fees for handsets sold in Europe.

I thought the decision to use 800 and not 700 as in the USA was an eu telco regulators agreement. There can't be that much international cooperation as ofcom is now consulting on freeing up 700mhz to allow for easier transatlantic movement of people using same devices. Despite the benefits of gsm quad band, the LTE movement has too many (26??) bands. I note apple iPhone 5s handles 13 bands in one configuration, more than any other vendor at the time. (Maybe copied by samsung now!). And they managed to do it with a small size handset. Rather than a phablet using reference designs from chipset vendors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    I wonder which LTE chip those handsets used and how much current it required? Anandtech and other sites did the analysis as to why no LTE in the iPhone 4s and concluded it was down to battery life issues in the early chipsets.

Yes apple make multiple models, many of which are actually the same hardware with different software loaded into the radio in the factory. This saves paying CDMA licence fees for handsets sold in Europe.

I thought the decision to use 800 and not 700 as in the USA was an eu telco regulators agreement. There can't be that much international cooperation as ofcom is now consulting on freeing up 700mhz to allow for easier transatlantic movement of people using same devices. Despite the benefits of gsm quad band, the LTE movement has too many (26??) bands. I note apple iPhone 5s handles 13 bands in one configuration, more than any other vendor at the time. (Maybe copied by samsung now!). And they managed to do it with a small size handset. Rather than a phablet using reference designs from chipset vendors.

Lets me explain how global telecommunications spectrum is sorted out:

International Telecommunication Union (ITU) (Global regulation and recommendations)

European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations (CEPT) (European level)

Office of Communications (Ofcom) (UK level)

While there are some differences in how spectrum is used there has over the years been much greater coordination to align how spectrum is used.

Do stop going on about Phablets its a totally bogus argument since small phone have supported LTE before the iPhone. The Samsung Craft released in 2010 on 3.3" it not a Phablet :p

http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-craft-sch-r900-black-metropcs/
    Forum Member
    While there are some differences in how spectrum is used there has over the years been much greater coordination to align how spectrum is used.

Ok thanks.
    Do stop going on about Phablets its a totally bogus argument since small phone have supported LTE before the iPhone. The Samsung Craft released in 2010 on 3.3" it not a Phablet :p

:) Can't argue there.

I wonder what its battery life was like :):)
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If Three had at some point managed to get some 3g spectrum at 800MHz then they would have cleaned up years ago. Nearly everyone i know has tried Three and left due to patchy service.

If they suddenly had VoLTE on 800MHz then id be back in a shot but that's just not going to happen over night, no point having a great 4g signal but still not being able to make a call.
    Forum Member
    philt74 wrote: »
    VoLTE in iOS 8?? Maybe?? Hopefully!

Well WiFi calling is included (plenty of users in the USA showing it works) and that uses essentially the same software at phone and network end - so we can hope VoLTE will be in iOS 8 as well.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Of course VoLTE will be included in the new iPhones.

Hence why EE are going to be shouting about it soon enough.
  • keithstokeithsto Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    You are being really cryptic, event???

New iPhone.....
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Of course VoLTE will be included in the new iPhones.

Hence why EE are going to be shouting about it soon enough.

Agreed, I want it in the 5 and 5s older phones with software update. Now THAT would be cool. (Esp to my family in the USA who are on Verizon with iPhone 5 handsets!).
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if iPhone 5 and 5s supported VoLTE the moderns inside them should be able to be a simple software update.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if iPhone 5 and 5s supported VoLTE the moderns inside them should be able to be a simple software update.

There is some speculation about the iPhones ability to support VoLTE :

http://www.tmonews.com/2014/05/iphone-can-support-volte-but-likely-wont/

Verizon are starting VoLTE in the coming weeks but they are staying tight lipped over what handsets will support it. Looks like it may be operator specific firmware that enables it?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/26/6066201/verizon-volte-hd-voice-video-calling-launch
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is some speculation about the iPhones ability to support VoLTE :

http://www.tmonews.com/2014/05/iphone-can-support-volte-but-likely-wont/

Verizon are starting VoLTE in the coming weeks but they are staying tight lipped over what handsets will support it. Looks like it may be operator specific firmware that enables it?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/26/6066201/verizon-volte-hd-voice-video-calling-launch

Problem is i don't think iOS 7 supports it in the OS so they would need wait for iOS 8 and then have a Carrier OS Update from Apple to enable it. Knowing Apple they probably need do a VoLTE Testing on Carrier Network like they do they LTE Data.
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    Problem is i don't think iOS 7 supports it in the OS so they would need wait for iOS 8 and then have a Carrier OS Update from Apple to enable it. Knowing Apple they probably need do a VoLTE Testing on Carrier Network like they do they LTE Data.

My guess is Apple is waiting, not wanting to enable a feature that most people can't use OR that causes problems due to it being "early days".

If the networks (Verizon, EE etc) have worked with Apple and convinced them it works, then I can see VoLTE and WiFi calling being big features in iOS 8 that get everyone to upgrade.

Just need Three, O2 and Vodafone to support WiFi Calling, and we can get rid of the apps and the SureSignal :)
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    All the 5's support VoLTE hardware wise.
    The new 6 will support LTE-Advanced (carrier aggregation)
    IOS8 supports both.
    Wether they give the 5's the ability to do so.. Another matter, which I've not been able to get confirmation of nor heard any off the record whispers of...
    Forum Member
    All the 5's support VoLTE hardware wise.
    The new 6 will support LTE-Advanced (carrier aggregation)
    IOS8 supports both.
    Wether they give the 5's the ability to do so.. Another matter, which I've not been able to get confirmation of nor heard any off the record whispers of...

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keithsto wrote: »

2600MHz will only be used by EE as Three don't have a licence for that band. Interesting to see the application :cool: