Options

Are there any chatty steam games?

LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My gaming is pretty social, I'm quite chatty. Are there any games that have a good group of friendly people that aren't going to tell me to get back in the kitchen? :o

Comments

• Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best bet is to aim for co-op based games, people tend to be much more friendly in them.

Killing Floor is a good choice
    Team Fortress 2 (the Mann Up mode, and the game is free so its easy to try out)
    erm.....

Haha, its pretty hard to find a game with a constantly nice community. The only one I could say that about is maybe Red Orchestra 2, which is mostly because at one point only about 100 people were playing it haha.

With the "kitchen" comment I will assume you are a female, best advice is to avoid drawing attention to that fact. No feminine name (something generic), and the big no no is no picture of yourself as your avatar. 13 year old boys will be 13 year old boys, they may make comments under the misguided notion that it makes them cool or they might "bag a hot gamer chic like in those videos". Just ignore and move on.

Anything with a server browser is a good bet as a server can have a good community. Ignore anything with "female" or any related term in it, they are just harvests for females.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    Best bet is to aim for co-op based games, people tend to be much more friendly in them.

Killing Floor is a good choice
    Team Fortress 2 (the Mann Up mode, and the game is free so its easy to try out)
    erm.....

Haha, its pretty hard to find a game with a constantly nice community. The only one I could say that about is maybe Red Orchestra 2, which is mostly because at one point only about 100 people were playing it haha.

With the "kitchen" comment I will assume you are a female, best advice is to avoid drawing attention to that fact. No feminine name (something generic), and the big no no is no picture of yourself as your avatar. 13 year old boys will be 13 year old boys, they may make comments under the misguided notion that it makes them cool or they might "bag a hot gamer chic like in those videos". Just ignore and move on.

Anything with a server browser is a good bet as a server can have a good community. Ignore anything with "female" or any related term in it, they are just harvests for females.

Killing Floor is my favourite game but it is a tad misogynistic (comments made by characters) but the community is great. As for this idea that you should not reveal that you are female then I say hell no!!! Gamers making such comments should be challenged and ultimately made unwelcome in our communities!! THe gaming community is already split pretty evenly so why not show that??

Vivian James FTW! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Killing Floor is my favourite game but it is a tad misogynistic (comments made by characters) but the community is great. As for this idea that you should not reveal that you are female then I say hell no!!! Gamers making such comments should be challenged and ultimately made unwelcome in our communities!! THe gaming community is already split pretty evenly so why not show that??

Vivian James FTW! ;)

The reason is because you may as well argue god isnt real, it will never ever end and you will always be going against the numbers. That might sound heroic, then you realise your trying to educate a bunch of kids screaming "****** **** ****" down the mic and after the 834389th time, it, just, gets, boring.

I perhaps should be clearer, don't advertise your gender. Once you meet some decent people no one really cares (my girlfriend is an avid gamer and doesn't experience much in the way of problems).

Besides, nothing will change as this is a medium that is filled with 13 year old boys, and their hormones will always defeat your logic. Every single time.

I also think this is more of a problem that should be dealt with at source, game makers need to stop with the ****ing obsession with sexing women up all the time. Most games these days are guilty of it, its a wonder females even want to play computer games. Pretty much any MMO does it to an absurd degree. Male armor is always butch and evil looking, badass flames and spikes etc. Female, oh well they want to wear little skirts and stockings, little bit of belly showing, massive tits bursting out some napkin. Its borderline pedophilia in a few cases but thats wandering into the real issue of female sexualisation, and a much grander topic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    god isn't real btw ;):D

I agree with you to a certain extent though my wife plays ESO and has no issues.

The fact that Anita Sarkeesian has been harassed so badly shows that it remains an issue however but I doubt the likes of Infinity Ward care much...
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never advertised. I've never got any abuse. Ill check our killing floor. Chears for rhw adbice
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tal'shiar; this makes interesting reading ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    god isn't real btw ;):D

I agree with you to a certain extent though my wife plays ESO and has no issues.

The fact that Anita Sarkeesian has been harassed so badly shows that it remains an issue however but I doubt the likes of Infinity Ward care much...

Haha I am aware god isn't real, have you tried to argue god isn't real to a believer? impossible isn't it.

Anita is just yet another cam fiend looking for views and popularity. Whilst I agree with some of her sentiments, its the same story with the "gaming press" as it has been for a few years now.

Add in that every single gamer wants to change the world, you just have this constant "you must be angry, so utterly angry at this!" and it just stinks of publicity stunts to drum up sales.

Katoku is a perfect example. Huge outrage over anything that can link to sexual inequalitiy, no matter how stupid. Next article will be upskirt Japanese girls, or a new dead or alive game. Or ash banging on about how amazing Jap culture is whilst focusing on anime and said upskirt (ignoring its actual, very interesting history and culture). Eurogamer does the same "OH HATE THIS HATE THIS" then find out most of it is paid for adverts and fluff pieces (handful of decent writers have all but left). Same story on gamespot etc, all the big names.

This is before we get to the "gamers" themselves, a ****ing bunch of pond life if their has ever been. All communication is memes and stupid old put downs. No real discussion is ever done, its just endless point scoring "lol TL:DR" "LOL NOOB" "CRY MOAR" and on and on it goes. People dont even ****ing connect with others anymore, its just like my picture, attempt a witty joke, hateful crap that is neither funny nor helpful or insightful or even thoughtful. Disposable media for a disposable species.

The piss poor attitude to the fairer sex, the casual racism, these things are actually utterly pointless in the grand scheme of things. Now religion is dead and we have nothing at all to strive for but the next iphone, we are just consumers of products, locked in an endless hype cycle where people try to fathom a meaning in pointless drivel.

On the subject of religion, I think its a bad idea for people to actually open their eyes to it. At least whilst they have that they have some hope, however false it is, its still something. Once thats gone, all you have is this decaying planet, with its worthless attitudes towards human life, always seeking new ways to hate each other for whatever ****ing stupid reason.

That went dark fast haha, end it on a nice note.

I am really enjoying Borderlands 2, seems they really fixed up a lot of niggles from the first one and its been a blast playing it so far. Rome 2 has been fixed up nicely as well, good stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    This is before we get to the "gamers" themselves, a ****ing bunch of pond life if their has ever been. All communication is memes and stupid old put downs. No real discussion is ever done, its just endless point scoring "lol TL:DR" "LOL NOOB" "CRY MOAR" and on and on it goes. People dont even ****ing connect with others anymore, its just like my picture, attempt a witty joke, hateful crap that is neither funny nor helpful or insightful or even thoughtful. Disposable media for a disposable species.

Ouch! :(

Just spent over two hours playing multi-player Worms Revolution and just laughed all the way through. Didn't fit that description... perhaps playing CoD has made you jaded :p
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually instamute any lobby when I play MP so i'm not too sure.Maybe just avoid pub servers and look for premium servers or servers with active admin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch! :(

Just spent over two hours playing multi-player Worms Revolution and just laughed all the way through. Didn't fit that description... perhaps playing CoD has made you jaded :p

Haha I havent played a CoD game since MW2, went off it with that game, wasnt as good as MW1.

I wouldnt even say CoD is the worst game either, nothing will come close to the hate fest that is WoW.

Until you have seen Ashes drop and a guild leader steal it even though they got a lower roll, you havent seen nerd rage haha.

Worms is quite niche, niche games tend to be much better overall I would say as its only the purists and long term fans that get into it. Killing Floor is another that has a surprisingly good community around it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm calling all the games I play niché from now on ;):D