Options

What is the Best/Worst Hotel you have stayed at?

Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you have any horror stories about Hotels you have stayed at? What happened? Also do you have any nice stories about good Hotels?

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Worst was a fleapit in Barcelona. Only paid £25 a night but it was opposite the immigration office and you couldn't go in or out without walking past hundreds of homeless immigrants begging.

Best was Excellence Playa Mujeres in Mexico, not sure I'll ever beat that.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best: Post Ranch Inn, California

Worst: some god forsaken hell hole in Blackpool
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best (not in any particular order)
    The Landmark Hotel (stayed in a suite), London
    Sanderson (basic room), London
    St Martin's Lane (basic room), London
    Mondrian (basic room), Miami
    Lucknam Park (suite), Bath
    THEhotel (the H-Suite), Las Vegas
    The Palms (suite), Las Vegas
    The Sheraton Kowloon (suite), Hong Kong
    The Kempinski Dukes Palace (suite), Bruges
    The Leela Kempinski (suite), Delhi
    Royal Westmorelands Golf Course (8 bedroom villa), Barbados

Worst (not in any particular order)
    The Kilbirnie (Cornwall)
    Some awful motel in Vegas
    Some shit tip in Ibiza
    A few dodgy B&Bs & Travelodges for stag dos, etc.
    A flea pit in Manchester

No real horrors stories to speak of, even the worst ones were tolerable.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Not from me Lou, sorry.
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    Not Really had a bad experience tbh:

Excalibur Hotel Las Vegas
    NEw Yorker Hotel New York
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worst - Station Inn (or Hotel?) in west yorkshire. Having paid £70/£80 for the night for a 4-poster, en-suite, was met by a tidy room, cheap pine bed with a 4-poster effect, en-suite - I ducked when having a shower to avoid the mold-ridden ceiling, my wife just had a flannel-wash in the sink.

On the plus side - being a pub - a good bar, and brilliant breakfast included in the price.

Best? Trader's Hotel suite, Kuala Lumpur, for our anniversary. Amazing experience (compared to the rest of Malasia)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst - one in Glasgow, can't remember the name but it was a dive, first room they gave us hadn't been cleaned and had bottles of booze all over the place!
    Also one in London (Royal something or other in I think Leicester Sq), it got closed down a few years ago cos they found asbestos :s.

Best - Bonnington in Russell Sq, its called something else now but it was a nice hotel.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Summat wrote: »
    Best? Trader's Hotel suite, Kuala Lumpur, for our anniversary. Amazing experience (compared to the rest of Malasia)

Kuala Lumpur is a fairly dull city but it's really good for affordable luxury hotels. The Traders there is excellent as the Sheraton Imperial.

The worst was a craphole in east Berlin. It looked like an ex-Soviet block of flats that hadn't been decorated since the Cold War started. The bed was so hard that the only way I could get to sleep was drinking myself unconscious in the bar.

Also stopped in a tiny place in Barcelona once where, at a stretch, you could touch all 4 walls at the same time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    DEADLY_17 wrote: »
    Not Really had a bad experience tbh:

Excalibur Hotel Las Vegas

Best or worst?

I thought it was a bit dingy, with the low ceilings and the dark decor, which is not what you expect from the bright Legoland exterior. But, hey, it was Vegas, so I didn't mind. :)

Nobody seems to be naming their worst. Could there be come-back from it? I would advise nobody to holiday in Kensington Forum. ;)

My favourite - Hotel Erika in Malcesine, not 5 star, but such lovely people and very convenient. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best or worst?

I thought it was a bit dingy, with the low ceilings and the dark decor, which is not what you expect from the bright Legoland exterior. But, hey, it was Vegas, so I didn't mind. :)

Nobody seems to be naming their worst. Could there be come-back from it? I would advise nobody to holiday in Kensington Forum. ;)

My favourite - Hotel Erika in Malcesine, not 5 star, but such lovely people and very convenient. :)

I name checked one of my worst....in fact, I think it's the only one I can remember the name of....which kinda flies in the face of the claim that you're more likely to spread news about a bad experience than a good one.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I once stayed at a Campanile hotel for £1, it was some crazy special offer and it was lovely. Great service, couldn't fault it at all.
  • Options
    too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst was a place in Turkey. Had the most beautiful view but the hotel was so badly run that it made Fawlty Towers look like a 7*. If we used the loo it just ran out of the base where it was broken and so we had to wee in the shower!! Our feet stuck to the carpet, the air con dripped water and pumped out hot air rather than cold, the sheets were dirty, the pool water was so cloudy that if you put your arm in the water to the elbow then your hand disappeared, guests were taken to hospital because they were serving "fake" vodka, breakfast was cold sprouts and when you sat by the pool starving and aggressive cats terrorised everyone and sprayed guests legs!!

When I complained the manager responded by saying that I was only there for a week and that should consider how he felt as he had to work there - then turned his back on me and went back on Facebook.
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stayed in a so called budget hotel in Bayswater.. can't remember what it was called i paid £48 for a night.. I was placed in room 13 and next to the lift. dust everywhere, damp ceiling and it smelt of dead bodies... thought hotels do not have room 13...

I love easy hotels they are great and simple, cheap and do the job if you want a base for just falling asleep and then wandering around towns for the day. My favourite is the one at Victoria, however I booked one in Old Street I got a HUGE ROOM, you could walk all the way around the bed... it was ace.

I once stayed at Bumbles hostel in NZ queens, it was run by a mad old women who would walk into your room turn the heating off and shout at you to get out of bed, however at 9am in the middle of winter this was not fun... she hated women but got on with men. the story goes one day she told everyone to clear out as she was going away for a few days... hahah nutter...
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Nicest was probably the Sonesta in Nasr City, Cairo. It had a Fauchon patisserie in the reception which sold the most amazing desserts.

Best value was the Queens Hotel, York. I think the room was something like £45 (plus a little extra for secure parking), and it was one on the corner - it was huge!

Worst was a Formule 1 in Grenoble. Absolutely nothing positive to say about it (I always stay at the Park Hotel when in Grenoble now - http://www.park-hotel-grenoble.fr/uk/index.php)

I've stayed in some crappy hostels in east Europe, but you expect hostels to be crappy (except in Germany, where they're more like budget hotels).
  • Options
    Chairman___MeowChairman___Meow Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Best was the Celtic Manor Hotel. Made even better by the fact that my g/fs sister worked there and we could get suites with balconies at half price. Overlooking the golf course :)

The worst was some very dodgy B and B in Torquay next to a railway track. It was £6 per person per night and we all had a good laugh when we saw the size of the breakfast. There were literally fifteen cornflakes in my bowl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually thinking about it the best hotel was one in Hamburg can't remember the name but it was really nice. First time I'd seen a toilet with an 'inspection shelf' in it.
  • Options
    SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best- Golden Tulip, Berlin
    Baia Grande, Portugal

Worst- Tunisia, it smelled of piss everywhere, bar area was full of local "bosses"
    Blackpool, amazed i never contracted Legionnaires Disease via the shower
    Paris, 70 euros for a beer and a chicken sandwich
    New Lanark, Scotland- think Prisoner Cell Block H, minus Joan Ferguson
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Best- Golden Tulip, Berlin
    Baia Grande, Portugal

Worst- Tunisia, it smelled of piss everywhere, bar area was full of local "bosses"
    Blackpool, amazed i never contracted Legionnaires Disease via the shower
    Paris, 70 euros for a beer and a chicken sandwich
    New Lanark, Scotland- think Prisoner Cell Block H, minus Joan Ferguson

Shame. I'd pay extra for The Freak. Or Vera "Vinegar Tits".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best for value was a rhiad in Marrakesh. £12 a night for bed and breakfast which was a four poster bed like something out of the Arabian Nights. The whole hotel was mosaic and the most beautiful colours, stunning central mosaic atrium with lanterns. Breakfast included some amazing Arabic pastries, omlettes, fruit, dates, etc., served in a tent on the roof terrace with views of the snow covered Atlas mountains.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Shame. I'd pay extra for The Freak.

Nooooooo.... Vinegar Tits would be better :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nooooooo.... Vinegar Tits would be better :D:D:D

Damn, You beat my edit! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry..... :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Remembering Cell Block H now.... I'm going to have to dig out the first 84 episodes that I have on dvd :o:o:o:o
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst - one in Glasgow, can't remember the name but it was a dive, first room they gave us hadn't been cleaned and had bottles of booze all over the place!
    Also one in London (Royal something or other in I think Leicester Sq), it got closed down a few years ago cos they found asbestos :s.

Best - Bonnington in Russell Sq, its called something else now but it was a nice hotel.

The Bonnington has been re-named The Park Inn for quite a while now.

The two best hotels that I've stayed in are The Bellagio in Rome, Italy, and a low-build 2 storey one in Valencia, Spain, near the football stadium, The Westin Valencia, used to be The Westin Alameda.
    Worst was an absolute ice-box in Ramsgate when I drove off a ferry there late one night, too smashed on Canadian Club to drive home, I also spent a w/end in Dublin in a clean place near Grafton St., but the room was so small you couldn't walk around the bed, you had to climb over it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Bonnington has been re-named The Park Inn for quite a while now.

The two best hotels that I've stayed in are The Bellagio in Rome, Italy, and a low-build 2 storey one in Valencia, Spain, near the football stadium, The Westin Valencia, used to be The Westin Alameda.
    Worst was an absolute ice-box in Ramsgate when I drove off a ferry there late one night, too smashed on Canadian Club to drive home, I also spent a w/end in Dublin in a clean place near Grafton St., but the room was so small you couldn't walk around the bed, you had to climb over it.

Ahh thanks. Last time I stayed there was for the Spice Girls o2 gig a few years ago. I remember they'd made room improvements, yet still had the teeny tiny lift which I never liked.