40,000 Yazidi Kurds face slaughter from ISIS

jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is pretty awful, at least 40,000 members of the Kurdish Yazidi sect, a non Islamic religion linked to Zoroastrianism have fled to a mountain in northern Iraq after being murdered & beheaded by Islamic State (IS) fighters

https://twitter.com/SlemaniTimes

https://twitter.com/Kurdistan_612

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/06/40000-iraqis-stranded-mountain-isis-death-threat

Comments

• AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    This is pretty awful, at least 40,000 members of the Kurdish Yazidi sect, a non Islamic religion linked to Zoroastrianism have fled to a mountain in northern Iraq after being murdered & beheaded by Islamic State (IS) fighters

https://twitter.com/SlemaniTimes

https://twitter.com/Kurdistan_612

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/06/40000-iraqis-stranded-mountain-isis-death-threat

Ah, another goodwill gesture from the religion of peace.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These people seem mired in violence and murder - it seems to be the default position for Islamic fundamentalism.
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    These atrocities are being committed by Islamists not jews, so i doubt we will see any sort of protest from the lefties or hear much about it from the western media.

Not that it would matter anyway, our involvement in Iraq was a complete shambles from start to finish, it has only made things worse for those people that live there.

It seems that only a ruthless dictator can keep any sort of peace in that part of the Middle East.:(
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    CSJB wrote: »
    These atrocities are being committed by Islamists not jews, so i doubt we will see any sort of protest from the lefties or hear much about it from the western media.

Not that it would matter anyway, our involvement in Iraq was a complete shambles from start to finish, it has only made things worse for those people that live there.

It seems that only a ruthless dictator can keep any sort of peace in that part of the Middle East.:(

You didn't see the Guardian report?
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These atrocities are being committed by Islamists not jews, so i doubt we will see any sort of protest from the lefties

Doesn't it get boring seeing everything as left or right?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

The Guardian haven't reported on it and I didn't just see it on the BBC and ITV news bulletins either?.

Was I dreaming?. :o
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Doesn't it get boring seeing everything as left or right?

I was referring to a particular type of leftie, the ones that have been protesting outside Israeli embassy's throughout the western world.
    Isis have been slaughtering innocent people on a far greater scale, but not a peep is heard from them.
    Why do you think that is ?
    Forum Member
    The Guardian haven't reported on it and I didn't just see it on the BBC and ITV news bulletins either?.

Was I dreaming?. :o

I said we won't hear much about it, I didn't say hear nothing.
    It hasn't got anywhere near the same coverage as the Israel/ Palestinian conflict, despite being in the same area and on a far greater scale.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    These people seem mired in violence and murder - it seems to be the default position for Islamic fundamentalism.
    To be clear, that is not most Muslims, but Islamists, wahhabists, who have been created & funded by Saudi Arabia & its allies for decades. It is a fascist extremist sect that has no right to exist in the modern world, and is creating misery for millions of Muslims around the world, sending them into endless conflict & enforced ignorance.

ISIS regard Yazidis as pagans, worse in their eyes than Shia & Christians, apparently 500 Yazidi men were murdered in Sinjar, and many women sold into slavery

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/06/world/meast/iraq-crisis-minority-persecution/index.html?hpt=hp_t3
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    To be clear, that is not most Muslims, but Islamists, wahhabists, who have been created & funded by Saudi Arabia & its allies for decades. It is a fascist extremist sect that has no right to exist in the modern world, and is creating misery for millions of Muslims around the world, sending them into endless conflict & enforced ignorance.

ISIS regard Yazidis as pagans, worse in their eyes than Shia & Christians, apparently 500 Yazidi men were murdered in Sinjar, and many women sold into slavery

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/06/world/meast/iraq-crisis-minority-persecution/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

I never said it was, I said "Islamic fundamentalism"

Violent murderers hiding behind a barbaric medieval religion, whatever.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was referring to a particular type of leftie, the ones that have been protesting outside Israeli embassy's throughout the western world.
    Isis have been slaughtering innocent people on a far greater scale, but not a peep is heard from them.
    Why do you think that is ?

You tell me - there's no shortage of right leaning news organisations who'd sooner give precedence to Gaza too.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I said we won't hear much about it, I didn't say hear nothing.
    It hasn't got anywhere near the same coverage as the Israel/ Palestinian conflict, despite being in the same area and on a far greater scale.

The story only just broke today ffs.

This isn't about right or left. It's about right & wrong.

As lame attempts at left-bashing go, this is one of the most pathetic I've seen tbh.
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    The story only just broke today ffs.

This isn't about right or left. It's about right & wrong.

As lame attempts at left-bashing go, this is one of the most pathetic I've seen tbh.

I think you will find Isis have been committing despicable acts on a massive scale for some time now, the fact that you have only just heard about it proves my point.

I wasn't left bashing, I was bashing the hypocrites that see Israel as evil incarnate but say nothing about Isis, they just happen to be a special kind of left wing idiot.
    Much as the way "far right" is trotted out on these boards, it doesn't mean I am condemning everyone with left wing principles.
    I find it sad that posters seem to be more upset at a misconstrued slight at lefties rather than the story itself.
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »
    You tell me - there's no shortage of right leaning news organisations who'd sooner give precedence to Gaza too.

That's why I said western media, rather than left leaning media.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Immediately turned into an Israel rant. Lovely.
    Of course, the difference is that our governments directly supply Israel and support them in our name so we should at least in theory be able to take action to change their policy. People in London protesting against ISIS is hardly going to make a hell of a lot of difference.

This is a horrendous situation and it's really hard to see what can be done without someone having to get troops on the ground. The Turks perhaps, if the Kurdish boarder is threatened. Nightmarish.
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    I did wonder what was happening in Iraq as I hadn't seen much on news.

It's been mostly about the terrible situation between Israel and the Palestinians.

This is absolutely horrific. I really hope the situation gets sorted out quickly with ISIS being wiped out as they are evil and truly dangerous.

Even too extreme for Al-Qaeda which says a lot.

As Al-Qaeda dislikes ISIS it would have been good if they had opposed and fought them though I can't see that happening.
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »
    Immediately turned into an Israel rant. Lovely.
    Of course, the difference is that our governments directly supply Israel and support them in our name so we should at least in theory be able to take action to change their policy. People in London protesting against ISIS is hardly going to make a hell of a lot of difference.

This is a horrendous situation and it's really hard to see what can be done without someone having to get troops on the ground. The Turks perhaps, if the Kurdish boarder is threatened. Nightmarish.

Hardly a rant, more of an observation.
    I agree with you about troops on the ground, but I can't see any countries volunteering their forces for it, unless as you say their borders are threatened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardly a rant, more of an observation.
    I agree with you about troops on the ground, but I can't see any countries volunteering their forces for it, unless as you say their borders are threatened.

An invalid one though, at least in my opinion.

As for the troops on the ground, I really think that it shouldn't be the west because our reputation is rightfully tarnished in the region to the point that no one trusts us. Surely there should be some sort of UN peacekeeping force made up of troops from countries respected in the region sent in to protect these people though. Of course, the most moral thing for our country to do is to immediately cut all ties with the Saudis, who always fund and support these Wahhabi lunatics. Don't see it happening though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Blair and Bushes fault

He may have been a homocidal nutcase but I reckon they woul dnot have taken Iraq off Saddam Hussain
    Forum Member

As for the troops on the ground, I really think that it shouldn't be the west because our reputation is rightfully tarnished in the region to the point that no one trusts us. Surely there should be some sort of UN peacekeeping force made up of troops from countries respected in the region sent in to protect these people though. Of course, the most moral thing for our country to do is to immediately cut all ties with the Saudis, who always fund and support these Wahhabi lunatics. Don't see it happening though.

No, neither do i, the Saudis hold too much power.
    I don't think any countries ( who have the resources) in the region are going to be respected there, and I don't think any will be sending peacekeeping forces unless they have no choice.
    The main problem in Iraq is the power vacuum the west left behind, they had no real plan of what to do with Iraq once saddam had been toppled.
    It needed western troops remaining for a generation at least, for any kind of civilised democracy to take its place.
    It's too late now and we should keep out of it, but innocent people will be paying a heavy price for a long time.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louise32 wrote: »
    As Al-Qaeda dislikes ISIS it would have been good if they had opposed and fought them though I can't see that happening.
    Al-Qaeda wouldn't give any help to non Sunni Muslims, whether they are really against ISIS's aims is doubtful.

As for the troops on the ground, I really think that it shouldn't be the west because our reputation is rightfully tarnished in the region to the point that no one trusts us. Surely there should be some sort of UN peacekeeping force made up of troops from countries respected in the region sent in to protect these people though.
    The Kurds are probably their only hope, although they are not quite the same group, as most Kurds are Muslims, but the PKK & YPG Peshmerga are apparently advancing towards the Sinjar (Shingal) mountains, whether they'll be able to launch an attack on ISIS in Sinjar, I don't know.

There is a real problem in that ISIS have captured so much US supplied weaponry when the Iraq army fled, the Kurds cannot really match it, and Maliki is blocking supply of arms to the Peshmerga, unless that is changed and someone supplies them with arms, they are going to keep losing battles

there are petitions to support the Kurds, but only for US citizens so far as I have seen

http://www.petition2congress.com/16112/go/
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/support-kurdish-independence/wk7K9SSp

there is an Avaaz petition to stop the Yazidi genocide that anyone can sign

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/United_Nations_US_Government_EU_NATO_Save_The_Yezidis_Stop_Yezidis_Genocide_by_ISIS/
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    CSJB If you are looking for support for a cause or to sell an idea is it really a good idea to start by alienating at least half of the potential market?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, neither do i, the Saudis hold too much power.
    I don't think any countries ( who have the resources) in the region are going to be respected there, and I don't think any will be sending peacekeeping forces unless they have no choice.
    The main problem in Iraq is the power vacuum the west left behind, they had no real plan of what to do with Iraq once saddam had been toppled.
    It needed western troops remaining for a generation at least, for any kind of civilised democracy to take its place.
    It's too late now and we should keep out of it, but innocent people will be paying a heavy price for a long time.

I think we needed to not invade in the first place. Iraqis were not going to support the west after crippling sanctions brought them to the brink of famine throughout the nineties. Plus, Saddam was actually an ally in the 1980s. I doubt Britain or America were ever going to be widely trusted.
    The best way would have been to have assisted democratic movements from within the country. People don't want systems forced upon them.

Nevertheless, the lid is off Pandora's Box now. I think the long term solution for the Middle East is for many of these countries to break off into their tribal affiliations where they would be able manage themselves effectively without all the internal angst and conflict. That will be hard to achieve because it's not in the interest of the powerful within the region or internationally. The best case scenario at the current moment is if the Kurds can get some land to finally forge a state of their own. However, I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel here.
  • Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What has this got to do with religion? Islam has been in that region for centuries and did not turn up when ISIS did. Muslims are being killed by ISIS.

This is all to do with politics. You have West backed Saudi Arabia and Russian Backed Iran playing proxy wars and funding terrorist organisations, leaders etc... to do their bidding. They don't care who is caught in the middle.
  • Ninja_NathanNinja_Nathan Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    What is the need for this, honestly.

ISIS seem to have appeared from nowhere and are just pure evil. Do they ever look at themselves and wonder what the hell they are doing?