Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 6)

Comments

• sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    What's happened to the Bookies since Peter scampered away?

I thought Leanne was running it, but we have seen little evidence so far.

Considering their only clients were Karl, Jack :( and Blanche :( I'm surprised it's going at all.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There must be something in the air in Corrie St which gives characters amazing abilities without any need for training or education. According to spoilers,
    Tina is going to do the books of Owen's business. So far as we know, the only jobs she's had have been as a barmaid and a shop assistant.

Why do people bother studying accountancy or bookkeeping, if it's apparently so easy?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith, it's the same as Michelle running the factory after being a barmaid :eek: Ludicrous storylines.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone in Coronation St is a whizz at any job you care to throw their way.

Look at Gail getting a job as a medical receptionist at the drop of a hat. Ditto for Deirdre.

Maria was a kennel maid when we first met her. Obviously looking after dogs is the very same thing as being a hairdresser.

And it seems that anyone with a Weatherfield postcode is genetically capable of sewing to a sufficiently high standard to get a job in as a machinist in a factory.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    Everyone in Coronation St is a whizz at any job you care to throw their way.

Look at Gail getting a job as a medical receptionist at the drop of a hat. Ditto for Deirdre.

Maria was a kennel maid when we first met her. Obviously looking after dogs is the very same thing as being a hairdresser.

And it seems that anyone with a Weatherfield postcode is genetically capable of sewing to a sufficiently high standard to get a job in as a machinist in a factory.

:D ...
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's happened to the Bookies since Peter scampered away?

I thought Leanne was running it, but we have seen little evidence so far.

We saw her interviewing for staff but since then it is almost as if the scriptwriters don't want us to see her nor Simon while her husband and his girlfriend are away.
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    There must be something in the air in Corrie St which gives characters amazing abilities without any need for training or education. According to spoilers,
    Tina is going to do the books of Owen's business. So far as we know, the only jobs she's had have been as a barmaid and a shop assistant.

Why do people bother studying accountancy or bookkeeping, if it's apparently so easy?

So easy to run a factory ie ex jailbird Rob and Michelle - what would the Baldwins say about that?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    We saw her interviewing for staff but since then it is almost as if the scriptwriters don't want us to see her nor Simon while her husband and his girlfriend are away.

So easy to run a factory ie ex jailbird Rob and Michelle - what would the Baldwins say about that?
    !

BIB We the viewers, are supposed to forget things like that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinkie wrote: »
    BIB We the viewers, are supposed to forget things like that

I don't:);)
  • Mystery ManMystery Man Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »

Have you seen some of her clients? :)
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gboy wrote: »
    Doesn't he have another shop in Portsmouth, or did he sell that one?

He did have a shop in Portsmouth. Can't remember if he sold it or not, but knowing Pompey quite well, I have never seen it!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gboy wrote: »
    Doesn't he have another shop in Portsmouth, or did he sell that one?
    He did have a shop in Portsmouth. Can't remember if he sold it or not, but knowing Pompey quite well, I have never seen it!!!!

http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/soaps/coronation-street/whos-who/peter-barlow/822
    2007 Returns to testify at the murder trial of stepsister Tracy (she killed lover Charlie Stubbs). Leaves with nephew Adam to open a bookies in Portsmouth.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »

Duh , she used to do her fathers books , please do keep up :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And what's the betting the "Books" will consist of two large ledgers. Not a computer or accounts programme in sight. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I suppose the workers still get their cash in brown envelopes at the end of each week too.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How long ago was that? If I ever knew, I'd completely forgotten. :)
    amysmum wrote: »
    And what's the betting the "Books" will consist of two large ledgers. Not a computer or accounts programme in sight..............

They probably think sage is something you stuff up turkeys' backsides at xmas.
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I cancelled my sky subscription I had to give sky a months notice but in Coronation Street they cut it immediately so no football for Karl.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    Sentenza wrote: »
    When I cancelled my sky subscription I had to give sky a months notice but in Coronation Street they cut it immediately so no football for Karl.

And it was established in the script that Karl was trying to watch football on Bank Holiday Monday afternoon. What football?
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Sentenza wrote: »
    Haha, good point. Makes no sense Sunita cut it two weeks into the football season, if you ask me. If you only subscribe for sports and football (I imagine they don't have the movie package because Asda and Aldi enjoy DVD nights), what's the point of paying for it in June and July? Cancel right away.
    DavyBoy60 wrote: »
    And it was established in the script that Karl was trying to watch football on Bank Holiday Monday afternoon. What football?
    Mid table Spanish football. ;):p :rolleyes:
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear, dear Tina. She must suffer from memory loss or maybe she's plain hypocritial. According to her it was all Tommy's fault because he told about Ty & Kirsty in the pub. And after he promised not to. Well, love if you hadn't told Tommy after YOU promised not to..... :rolleyes:

And of course according to Tina the fact Tommy used the garage to stuff cars full of drugs was different. Yes, Tommy was in a difficult position but he still did it and it's still a crime love.

Still, my money's on Tina, because she is a fiesty Corrie woman (and boy was she fiesty tonight) to sort it all out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, good point. Makes no sense Sunita cut it two weeks into the football season, if you ask me. If you only subscribe for sports and football (I imagine they don't have the movie package because Asda and Aldi enjoy DVD nights), what's the point of paying for it in June and July? Cancel right away.

Mid table Spanish football. ;):p :rolleyes:

And sleep-overs. They were on another tonight. Do they ever have anyone to sleep-over at their house?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meldrewman wrote: »
    C. Who thinks that, on the way to buy the smoke alarms, he's told of a sure thing and bets the lot on it?

Could it be that having made loads of dosh, more than the initial £500, he bets the lot?!
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Dear, dear Tina. She must suffer from memory loss or maybe she's plain hypocritial. According to her it was all Tommy's fault because he told about Ty & Kirsty in the pub. And after he promised not to. Well, love if you hadn't told Tommy after YOU promised not to..... :rolleyes:

And of course according to Tina the fact Tommy used the garage to stuff cars full of drugs was different. Yes, Tommy was in a difficult position but he still did it and it's still a crime love.

Still, my money's on Tina, because she is a fiesty Corrie woman (and boy was she fiesty tonight) to sort it all out.

It's rather different telling it to her own partner behind closed doors when she's under pressure compared to blurting it out in a pub.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    It's rather different telling it to her own partner behind closed doors when she's under pressure compared to blurting it out in a pub.

Yes, but if Tina hadn't been continually gobbing her mouth off about Kirsty & Ty to Tommy she wouldn't have aroused his interest. Then she wouldn't have felt 'under pressure'. Tina should tried harder to keep her mouth shut.
  • ThumbolinaThumbolina Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm expecting the obvious - that something is wrong with the alarms. They keep ringing for no reason or something.
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,592
    Forum Member
    I found it a complete SOR that Roy, in particular, was bamboozled into buying one of Karl's dodgy Chinese smoke alarms.

I don't know much about the law but I would assume that a cafe would be legally obliged to have working smoke alarms and that they would need to be checked on a regular basis, so why did Roy even need to buy some more?

Also, are there really people in this world - especially business people such as Roy and Kevin - who would buy something from a bloke going door to door selling stuff from a sports bag?!

Ridiculous.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot believe that no-one in the street knew that Rita had been kidnapped by drug-dealer Rick on her wedding day or that they weren't aware of Tommy's involvement with the whole drugs storyline.
    Surely, it would have been a fairly high profile story (at least locally) especially with all the police involvement and resulting prosecution and court case. Also, you'd imagine, local news broadcasts would have covered it.
    But no, it happened, evidently not one person had heard about it and we're supposed to forget (like an awful lot of other things on CS)
This discussion has been closed.