Options

Anyone else getting sick of the over-promotion of Doctor Who?

Comments

• Options
    cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    Sick of it ? I am not so much sick of it as smugly comfortable in the knowledge that my view of the BBC is an accurate one.

Self - obsessed is probably a better term than the one I use.When viewing or listening to the BBC I constantly moan to my wife that they Beeb is being "up itself" once again.

Edit :
    PS after switching off the PC and going into the other room to see Andrew Marr featuring Mrs Ballsand Polly Toynbee, I was confronted with the sight of John Cleese dressed in bowler hat and striped trousers and doing a silly walk to the accompaniment of canned laughter.
    Was this ever the earth-shatteringly funny comedy milestone that we are told it was?

Good post & sums up the self promoting, dying BBC exactly - as to the much hyped Dr Who, after 10 mins of CGI & boredom, I switched over to Tony Robinson in the new C4 series: Walking through history Far more interesting & entertaining too.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of the true - original Dr Who, "Genesis of the Daleks", made when the BBC could make entertaining TV on a shoestring, being a good example - the rubbish they are making now is a disgrace to the memory of Terry Dicks & Terry Nation & many others.
    And before anyone starts TVL de-railing - I was TV viewing at a licenced mate's place, he was bored with Dr Who as well:)
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    cyril-furr wrote: »
    Good post & sums up the self promoting, dying BBC exactly - as to the much hyped Dr Who, after 10 mins of CGI & boredom, I switched over to Tony Robinson in the new C4 series: Walking through history Far more interesting & entertaining too.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of the true - original Dr Who, "Genesis of the Daleks", made when the BBC could make entertaining TV on a shoestring, being a good example - the rubbish they are making now is a disgrace to the memory of Terry Dicks & Terry Nation & many others.
    And before anyone starts TVL de-railing - I was TV viewing at a licenced mate's place, he was bored with Dr Who as well:)

What are you gloating for? "Dying BBC"?:D

As if.

Now, answer this question? Which broadcaster doesn't promote it's biggest programmes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sick of it ? I am not so much sick of it as smugly comfortable in the knowledge that my view of the BBC is an accurate one.

Accurate??!! Even though it's been pulled apart so many times?
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, whatever anyone thought of the promotion of DW by the BBC, it seems to have worked quite well. Over 10 million viewers, apparently. :)

Sorry the rest of you didn't like it....so, so sorry...:(
  • Options
    cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    What are you gloating for? "Dying BBC"?:D

As if.

Now, answer this question? Which broadcaster doesn't promote it's biggest programmes?

Not gloating - just stating a fact.
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're stating your opinion actually. Don't you know the difference?
  • Options
    Dead ParrotDead Parrot Posts: 956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Might be worth pointing out that Terrance Dicks is still very much alive.
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    No, it's being shown simultaneously - and not just on the TV but also in cinemas around the world.

ADDITION: It's just been stated on the News that this episode is being shown simultaneously in 90 countries!
    Did broadcasters around the world actually pick up a live satellite feed of the BBC1 broadcast or did each broadcaster broadcast their own copy of the episode albeit still simultaneously? I ask because in the non-English speaking countries I'd imagine it would be easier to dub it or subtitle it if they had their own copy of the show to broadcast.
    Also, how did this simulcast work in some countries? Wouldn't it have broadcast at an inconvenient time in some countries, especially those in Asia, Australasia and the Americas?
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,720
    Forum Member
    Was just about to make a new topic for this very question :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Not correct, it was your opinion, not a "fact" - yes?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    The Turk wrote: »
    Did broadcasters around the world actually pick up a live satellite feed of the BBC1 broadcast or did each broadcaster broadcast their own copy of the episode albeit still simultaneously? I ask because in the non-English speaking countries I'd imagine it would be easier to dub it or subtitle it if they had their own copy of the show to broadcast.
    Also, how did this simulcast work in some countries? Wouldn't it have broadcast at an inconvenient time in some countries, especially those in Asia, Australasia and the Americas?

I think most countries simulcast it live, and then repeated it at a better time or put it up on demand...
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of the true - original Dr Who, "Genesis of the Daleks", made when the BBC could make entertaining TV on a shoestring, being a good example - the rubbish they are making now is a disgrace to the memory of Terry Dicks

Um.... Terrance Dicks isn't dead.

Oh and anyone who thinks the BBC over exposed Who; never watch American tv. NBC ran the same ads for The Blacklist hundreds of times, weeks before it's late September start.
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Um.... Terrance Dicks isn't dead.

Oh and anyone who thinks the BBC over exposed Who; never watch American tv. NBC ran the same ads for The Blacklist hundreds of times, weeks before it's late September start.

Not to mention running the lower third promo banners over every show for upto a minute almost everytime they returned from an ad break. They did also obviously promote a few of their other shows but seemed The Blacklist got most of those spots for the couple of weeks before the first episode and even throughout their whole summer schedule
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough advertising it, but when it starts getting serious amount of coverage on what is supposed to be a serious news channel, it all starts to become a bit OTT.

The other day there was Dr Who, something about celebrity dancing and a third article about Desert Island Disks all in what is supposed to be a news bulletin. This is not news.

Could you imagine a proper news channels such as Al-Jazeera covering some entertainment based news story to this extent?
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,019
    Forum Member
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    .... and a third article about Desert Island Disks all in what is supposed to be a news bulletin. This is not news.

Was it about Desert Island Discs or leader of the opposition Ed Milliband who appeared on the programme and discussed his father, the relationship with his father and why he chose to be a politician. All of which have been regarded as news worthy across the media.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,720
    Forum Member
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    Fair enough advertising it, but when it starts getting serious amount of coverage on what is supposed to be a serious news channel, it all starts to become a bit OTT.
    Erm... It's called the "BBC News Channel", not the BBC serious-news-only Channel :rolleyes:.

Pretty sure it was also covered by Sky News and pretty-much every "news" paper in the UK.

Not all news has to be "serious", you know. If you don't like it, don't watch it.
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Erm... It's called the "BBC News Channel", not the BBC serious-news-only Channel :rolleyes:.

Pretty sure it was also covered by Sky News and pretty-much every "news" paper in the UK.

Not all news has to be "serious", you know. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Strange though, how so many news items on the BBC seem like thinly veiled promotions for upcoming BBC programmes.
  • Options
    CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, especially as the BBC killed it off for years. Top Gear is a far more successful worldwide franchise yet the BBC seem to ignore it or even try to get rid of it, Top Gear gets cancelled, deleted from the schedules (like last year) and the Christmas special comes on TV in March.

Dr Who is utter shite, crap acting, rubbish scripts and a left wing agenda that is so obvious it would embasass Marcus Pigstock or Jeremy Hardy.

I'm waiting for the BBC to combine Dr Poo with the Ashes, something else being flogged to death.

The BBC have live coverage of Forumla 1 yet it gets none of the hype the Ashes gets even though the BBC has no live TV coverage.

Marcus Pigstock, Dr Poo.

What are you, 8?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Strange though, how so many news items on the BBC seem like thinly veiled promotions for upcoming BBC programmes.

They do the same for other broadcasters programmes too, if they're significant and newsworthy.
  • Options
    Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're talking about promotion, not advertising. The BBC does not carry advertising.

Well, that's quite a negative way to view the post that mentioned promoting twice and advertising just the once.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

On the BBC News page at the moment, the most popular story is, "BBC reveals festive TV highlights". It's on topic, because one of those festive TV highlights is a Dr. Who special, seems like ages since we've had one of those.

Also, hot off the BBC presses: "EastEnders will see Danny Dyer make his debut as the Queen Vic's new landlord." which coincidentally heralds the official end of British culture.

Must be a slow news day......
  • Options
    playitagainplayitagain Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Yes, especially as the BBC killed it off for years. Top Gear is a far more successful worldwide franchise yet the BBC seem to ignore it or even try to get rid of it, Top Gear gets cancelled, deleted from the schedules (like last year) and the Christmas special comes on TV in March.

Dr Who is utter shite, crap acting, rubbish scripts and a left wing agenda that is so obvious it would embasass Marcus Pigstock or Jeremy Hardy.

I'm waiting for the BBC to combine Dr Poo with the Ashes, something else being flogged to death.

The BBC have live coverage of Forumla 1 yet it gets none of the hype the Ashes gets even though the BBC has no live TV coverage.
    complete wum with a name that is from stargate atlantis
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    On the BBC News page at the moment, the most popular story is, "BBC reveals festive TV highlights".

Yes, "the most popular story", presumably based upon the interest from the viewing public.

It is still news though, albeit entertainment news.

Just as sport is still news, albeit sports news.

And technology is still news ....
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Corabal wrote: »
    Marcus Pigstock, Dr Poo.

What are you, 8?

I call him "Marxist Brigstock". I wonder how old that makes me ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    On the BBC News page at the moment, the most popular story is, "BBC reveals festive TV highlights". It's on topic, because one of those festive TV highlights is a Dr. Who special, seems like ages since we've had one of those.

Also, hot off the BBC presses: "EastEnders will see Danny Dyer make his debut as the Queen Vic's new landlord." which coincidentally heralds the official end of British culture.

Must be a slow news day......

Isn't the prevalance of these stories decided by "clicks"?