Options

Zoe Quinn and the corruption in video games media/journalism....

Comments

• Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DuckSeason wrote: »
    Plus, she only reinforces the criticism towards GamerGate and 4chan, not refute it. For a start, the colour scheme of her jumper is based on a creepy, rape meme that did the round on 4chan involving Dragon Ball Z characters (I'll spare people the details).
    Gosh, this is awkward.
  • Options
    Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vivian James is a terrible mascot for GamerGate. For a start, she is an imaginary character, completely under the control of 4chan. She has no agency of her own - only that which is given to her by her masters. Hardly an exmaple you can use to say "look, we have women on our side!"

Plus, she only reinforces the criticism towards GamerGate and 4chan, not refute it. For a start, the colour scheme of her jumper is based on a creepy, rape meme that did the round on 4chan involving Dragon Ball Z characters (I'll spare people the details). If you're trying to given GamerGate some kind of pro-women slant, Vivian James is not a good example of doing so.

I'm curious about this rape meme with DBZ characters.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...wait, her name's Chelsea? Oh my. Please tell me TotalBiscuit at least is a real name!
  • Options
    DuckSeasonDuckSeason Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh please. We're talking about 4chan here, who created this character. 4chan - the same place the aforementioned rape joke originates from, and that bastion of feminist campaigning.

http://fastcompany.com/3037941/the-secret-meaning-behind-gamergates-branding

You hold 4chan in far too high regard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh please. We're talking about 4chan here, who created this character. 4chan - the same place the aforementioned rape joke originates from, and that bastion of feminist campaigning.

http://fastcompany.com/3037941/the-secret-meaning-behind-gamergates-branding

You hold 4chan in far too high regard.
    After what Moot did, highly unlikely. This is why 8chan is now a prominent site that people collaborate on and expose conflicts of interest, corruption, cronyism and collusion within the games industry. The same people who exposed just in the last day or so five more conflicts of interest involving Brandon Boyer, chairman of the International Games Festival.

You also conveniently forgot to mention how Vivian James is due to be a character for a game as a result of a feminist group wanting to make games using under-represented labour for under-represented demographics to fund non-profit charities.

https://twitter.com/TFYCapitalists/status/502912133416640512
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When was it established that purple and green are rape colours?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyclaw726 wrote: »
    When was it established that purple and green are rape colours?
    From this fool, who provides no evidence for his claim whatsoever. People will just "listen and believe" him:

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/523647279391981570

(he has been told that purple and green were the primary colours of the suffragettes :D)
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    (he has been told that purple and green were the primary colours of the suffragettes :D)

They wore white and gold!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »

Blue and black, surely?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »

They wore both.

Purple symbolised dignity, white purity, and green hope.

A simple google search brings that up.
  • Options
    BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BinaryDad please stop trying to use the TFYC thing as an example of GG's nobility. TFYC is not a charity, and GG donated to them solely to spite Zoe Quinn because she criticized the group on Twitter for something related to transgender.

And you have proof that it was merely to spite Quinn? You have evidence, or is this just another had wavy opinion based on "bellyfeel".?

I'd say that the continuing support for charities, organisations that support women and direct support of female developers shows that there's more there than just going out of their way to spite people. There's a movement there that's saying "hey, this is unfair" and acting on it.

If you really think GamerGate or the bottom-feeders of 4chan would have seriously given two hoots about a group that aims to increase representation of women in gaming had Zoe Quinn not come into the equation, you're even more naive than I think.

Maybe, maybe not. The enemy of my enemy and all that.But again, you like others are just attacking where the movement or the actions originate. You make an assumption about the origins of the movement (and that's all it is; an assumption) and then proceed to crap on any positive action because of that.

And it's not about increasing representation in gaming. That's already massively high - about 40 to 45% for women in many cases when it comes to console games. And higher still in the casual/social space and mobile.

It's about protecting female developers who want to get into the industry in many cases. You know...the same people who in many cases, have been attacked by these social justice warriors for daring to voice a different opinion. And even then, I'd say it's not because these people happen to be female - it's just because they're being singled out of very unfair treatment.
  • Options
    NefratiNefrati Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vivian James is a terrible mascot for GamerGate. For a start, she is an imaginary character, completely under the control of 4chan. She has no agency of her own - only that which is given to her by her masters. Hardly an exmaple you can use to say "look, we have women on our side!"

Plus, she only reinforces the criticism towards GamerGate and 4chan, not refute it. For a start, the colour scheme of her jumper is based on a creepy, rape meme that did the round on 4chan involving Dragon Ball Z characters (I'll spare people the details). If you're trying to given GamerGate some kind of pro-women slant, Vivian James is not a good example of doing so.

I think you got btfo already by retford already, but it took the fevered imagination of McIntosh to see the colors of green and purple as a rape meme. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzEemp1SLOM

And mascots are imaginary characters.... complaining about a cartoon not having agency is missing the point so hard its not funny. Vivian is however the work of countless people, and as such there are countless different versions of her, to have a real live mascot would be ridiculous. Come to think of it, that is kind of what Anita is right?
    https://i.imgur.com/c5WJ7ZK.png
    https://i.imgur.com/V0JSG9P.png
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuPEoZjgJh0

and of course you like Tim Schafer are ignoring the live women on our side to talk about a cartoon character. Its a bagdad bob level of denial.

And I notice you ignored the second part about Cytherea which only hammers down the point. You fixate on not only obscure but imagined assaults while ignoring the real. Feminists have been treating every imagined harm on twitter or the net as the most horrifying assaults on women, they will go even as far as preemptively believing the most dubious claims of real world assault by the "right" women, especially in those american collage campus assault cases, but a real world gang rape as brought up by mercedes? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDaa61mHkuc Suddenly, radio silence, and yes, gamergate helped step into that breach as well.

So yea, keep criticizing cartoon characters with imagined problems... feminists actual concern for rape has been proven non genuine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another win for ethics as Eurogamer and Gamer Network updates its editorial policy, including a new right to reply clause - which means VG247 which refused to allow Mark Kern a right to reply to the hit-piece against his petition is now under pressure to back down on their stance and allow Kern to put his side across:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-09-editors-blog-weve-revised-our-editorial-policy

For a supposed "hate group", there are sure many companies who are reviewing and introducing new editorial, ethical, transparency and disclosure policies of their own free will as a result. Good on them.
  • Options
    NefratiNefrati Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess that's something, I still remember their letter from the editor citing "gamers are worse than isis" devin faraci as the go to guy for info on gamergate.

Anyways, massive info drop, mod leaked mod channel chat logs for reddit, corruption behind closed doors, no surprise, but its good to see it exposed. This san fran cabal which were supposed to be the stewards of free speech are proving time and time again they can't be trusted.

#ModTalkLeaks
    http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2015/03/reddit-mods-admit-to-censoring-gamergate-hiding-corruption/
    https://archive.today/alL0e
    http://pastebin.com/trends
    http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2ydvd2/since_the_beginning_gamergate_has_been_about/

Δ #GamerGate Update Rollup - 03/08/2015 Δ
    Bonn Ortloff
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62IzDPrOJ-k

A Conversation with Mykeru
    Sargon of Akkad
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVvWg4ABqL8

KotakuInAction Sunday Stream: Subreddit of the Day!
    Hat Deux
    http://youtu.be/7-UBZ8DfW6o?t=2h00m01s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rep. Katherine Clark: The FBI Needs to Make Gamergate 'A Priority'
    http://jezebel.com/rep-katherine-clark-the-fbi-needs-to-make-gamergate-a-1690599361

Sorry i have to link to a Jezebel article but an actual US congresswomen has urged the FBI to investigate Gamergate.

I can see this going well with the american taxpayer and other nations if the FBI actually try to pull something.
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Skyclaw726 wrote: »
    Rep. Katherine Clark: The FBI Needs to Make Gamergate 'A Priority'
    http://jezebel.com/rep-katherine-clark-the-fbi-needs-to-make-gamergate-a-1690599361.

"Clark is the congresswoman for Brianna Wu"

Of bloody course she is, wherever there's overblown hysterics, you usually find Brianna Wu!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    "Clark is the congresswoman for Brianna Wu"

Of bloody course she is, wherever there's overblown hysterics, you usually find Brianna Wu!

Yeah, really overblown when you're receiving horrible threats that force you to leave your home. You think that's acceptable, do you?

Nothing quite ironic like a Gator having the gall to call anything "overblown"! Having a big tantrum over video games of all things! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Related- moot talks about why he ditched 4chan. Can't say I entirely blame him, to be honest. Always thought he seemed like a decent chap.
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Yeah, really overblown when you're receiving horrible threats that force you to leave your home. You think that's acceptable, do you?

Nothing quite ironic like a Gator having the gall to call anything "overblown"! Having a big tantrum over video games of all things! :D

Huh? Are you trying to say that I'm a gator? I've not even bothered getting involved with all this nonsense, but even an outsider can see how crazy Brianna Wu is, other people have legit reasons and issues, Wu on the otherhand goes to seek out abuse so she can then cry about it.

Threats and stuff, that's bad, but from the looks of things, there are a lot more people to take serious in this issue than her, she's the kind of person to scream sexist at ANYTHING. That is not how you go about being taken seriously, that's just being the polar opposite of the extreme gamegates people.

Like I said before, both sides are stupid, people trying to rally Gamergate and trying to force it to be this ethical thing, they're stupid, the name is tainted, and a lot of bad eggs have ruined it. Then again, the other extreme, the Tumblr Feminists type people, also stupid, both sides are happy they have someone to scream and shout at really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flipping heck, is anti-gamergate really still a thing? I honestly thought that had died out ages ago and us gamers had been left in peace to get on with our hobby but it seems there are still some hateful people out there intent on ruining our fun.

Can't believe in this day it's still okay to hate on the right type of people.

Some people in this thread will look back on their actions in a few years and cringe, or maybe not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruthus wrote: »
    Flipping heck, is anti-gamergate really still a thing? I honestly thought that had died out ages ago and us gamers had been left in peace to get on with our hobby but it seems there are still some hateful people out there intent on ruining our fun.

Can't believe in this day it's still okay to hate on the right type of people.

Some people in this thread will look back on their actions in a few years and cringe, or maybe not.

It never was a "thing". It's a construct invented by Gamergate supporters to be used as a scarecrow. There is no official organised "anti" movement with its own dedicated forums like GG has. Just like how the right refer to "cultural Marxists". Really don't see how you refuse to understanding this.

Proper laughing at your use of "us gamers". I'm a gamer too. You don't speak for me. I think the ones in here backing the crowd who harrass and threaten people becayse they got their knickers in a twist over VIDEO GAMES are much more likely to be the embarrassed ones looking back than say someone like me who just said a few heated words! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It never was a "thing". It's a construct invented by Gamergate supporters to be used as a scarecrow. There is no official organised "anti" movement with its own dedicated forums like GG has. Just like how the right refer to "cultural Marxists". Really don't see how you refuse to understanding this.

Proper laughing at your use of "us gamers". I'm a gamer too. You don't speak for me. I think the ones in here backing the crowd who harrass and threaten people becayse they got their knickers in a twist over VIDEO GAMES are much more likely to be the embarrassed ones looking back than say someone like me who just said a few heated words! :D

There isn't a anti movement because it gets destroyed within hours whereas we are still going strong.

Your side has Ben kuchera who is currently gathering a mob to demand EA fire Chris Mancil, a communication director becuase he hasn't openly called every GGer a terrorist and worse than Hitler.
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member

You know that the anti gamer gate crowd have been found guilty of harassment as well, right? In fact, given the AGG tendency to cry victim over anything, I'd more likely believe the other side. TB got death threats just for stating he was neutral (from AGGs), did he cry about it to the media? Of course not. Useless death threats have been around since the dawn of the internet, even before. Not every "I'm going to kill you" message on Twitter is serious, these people are making it out to be a massive issue because, well, it makes them money.

It's interesting that the only side generating income from this are the anti gamer gaters. I wonder why that is?
  • Options
    BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Errr...wow...it must be embarrassing to be be constantly caught out when it comes to facts.
    There's this little thing called Gamergahzi on reddit. Boy, don't you look silly...again. Let me ask...do you even bother to research and proof any of the stuff that you write?

Then there's the GG auto blocker which has been used to block anybody on twitter who even follows a person who is pro-GG in some way. It might might not be so bad, but I've seen a few people trying to use it as a screening process for potential employees and for a while, the IGDA also used it to filter out people they considered undesirable. Which rather embarrassingly, meant a lot of their chapter heads were blocked and accused of being sexist and misogynist. The IGDA stood by this judgment. That's a global organisation that is supposed to represent and support game developers, actively saying "we believe in aGG and in guilt by association".

No organised groups representing aGG? Pull the other one, it's got bells on.
This discussion has been closed.