Eminem The greatest hip hop artist.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,683
Forum Member
✭✭✭
From The Real SlimShady to the present day. He is a lyrical genius imo. Though i rate many other artists Jay Z, Lil Wayne, 50 Cent, Dizzee Rascal and Ndubz, he still remains at the top for me.

Comments

• Tom8592Tom8592 Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    N-Dubz ??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom8592 wrote: »
    N-Dubz ??
    Very funny.
    It is possible to be a fan of more than one artist you know and if you'd studied my posts a bit closer you'd see i am a fan of many many people, Eminem as i have said remains at the of that list as far as hip hop is concerned.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer early Kanye West or Lupe Fiasco whilst to rate Eminem over some like Tupac or Chuck D just seems like madness :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is a very good universally-appealing rapper, but I would not say the "greatest hip-hop artist".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh cazmac, why do you do this to me?! I am sure you say these things to be ridiculed. Nevermind, at the end of the day it is your opinion that matters to you and I can't argue with that. I will however suggest that you listen to some Notorious BIG, Tupac, DMX and Nas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh cazmac, why do you do this to me?! I am sure you say these things to be ridiculed. Nevermind, at the end of the day it is your opinion that matters to you and I can't argue with that. I will however suggest that you listen to some Notorious BIG, Tupac, DMX and Nas.

I think you'll agree i'm way past caring about being ridiculed! My son and i have loved Eminem from his first tv appearances onwards, i've listened to some of the people you mention, but Eminem is still my personal favourite and my opinion on that is never going to change.
    PS Why is my opinion any less valid than anyone elses anyway? :confused:
  • JOEVILLEJOEVILLE Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eminem, Jay Z, Lil Wayne, 50 Cent, Dizzee Rascal and Ndubz,

All of these are teenie pop, they are not real artists, just frabricated pop trash.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Agreed about Eminem being the best.

The rest are just 2nd rate. Though I like N-Dubz, they will never better Eminem in my eyes.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JOEVILLE wrote: »
    Eminem, Jay Z, Lil Wayne, 50 Cent, Dizzee Rascal and Ndubz,

All of these are teenie pop, they are not real artists, just frabricated pop trash.
    If you ever listen to Dizzie Rascal's lyrics / raps, they are complete rubbish compared to those of Eminem and Jay Z. Ndubz are not my cup of tea but at least they are trying to do something different.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    You're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree.

He was at one point (SSLP/MMLP era) a contender to be seen as one of the best ever, but since that he certainly has fell off, so to speak. Encore anyone? Lyrically speaking he isn't as nice as he once was, he can't even rap without putting on an accent these days in most of his songs. It's his flow and delivery which makes him listenable. There are some exceptions that shows when he wants to he can still deliver quality. Although for a man of his age his subject matter is incredibely juvenile and makes it hard for me to take him seriously currently.

There are many more better artists out there in Hip-Hop, there are too many people who claim to be fan of the genre but look no further than what is shoved down their throats on the radio & TV.

There's too many people who think the culture is nothing other than the misogynistic, negative ties that seems to be tagged onto Hip-Hop as a whole. There is intelligent, uplifting and thought provoking rap out there, but that doesn't sell records. Ignorance sells I suppose.

Also, Dizzee Rascal & N-Dubz are not Hip-Hop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe his work has fell off a bit of late, but when he can still produce a song as poignant as Beautiful, i'd say he was far from washed up. I dont care if people consider him soft hip hop or whatever, i've listened to plenty of others and still no one comes close. I love everything about him, his lyrics, his voice, his attitude, his look, and having felt this way since his career began, i'm not liable to change my mind now.
    I respect others opinions, this just happens to be mine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cazmac your opinion is not less valid than anyone else's. I meant to say although I don't agree with you, your opinion still matters.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    up to his 3rd album he was right up there. now, he just sounds like a joke.
  • Tom8592Tom8592 Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    up to his 3rd album he was right up there. now, he just sounds like a joke.

For me he peaked with Lose Yourself and everything since then has just been downhill...
  • Delicious11Delicious11 Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree at all. He was the best bubble gum rap artist at best. Now he is a bit of a joke and I doubt he'll be able to sell the millions of albums like he did in his prime.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I highly rated Eminem in his early days, he then seemed to drift off for me after he did 8 Mile.

As for greatest ever, I'm heavily towards the likes of Run DMC, Public Enemy, NWA and their solo efforts
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call someone who has written childish, homophobic lyrics a "lyrical genius"-but that's just me...
  • cloudfactorycloudfactory Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the words great or greatest should never be used together with hiphop,rap,r n b,or any of that kind of music. well i say music but its actually crap garbage trash. i suppose thats as good a name for it as anything.
  • dan44762000dan44762000 Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah eminem is a great lyricist fair play to him. as for calling him tennie pop trash then thats just being stupid. he,s hardly teenie pop trash is he.whilst i dont think he is THE greatest he is deff in the top five.leading that list in my opinion is tupac..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Without Me', 'Stan', 'Lose Yourself', 'Like Toy Soldiers' and 'Beautiful' were all fantastic. But dross like 'Crack a Bottle' and 'We Made You'....:yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the words great or greatest should never be used together with hiphop,rap,r n b,or any of that kind of music. well i say music but its actually crap garbage trash. i suppose thats as good a name for it as anything.

Just because you personally dont rate hip hop, dosen't mean it's "trash" :rolleyes:
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he'd be nothing without the good dr (dre)... surely he deserves the title?
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Back when I listened to rap, I’d have had eminem ahead by a mile- his first two albums are still nostalgic to me, but I agree with others saying he has really gone downhill since.

Saying that, I'd still say he was the best in my opinion, because of his first three.
    I remember when he started, I'd never heard anything like it. A lot of the other rappers sounded too similar by comparison.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Back when I listened to rap, I’d have had eminem ahead by a mile- his first two albums are still nostalgic to me, but I agree with others saying he has really gone downhill since.

Saying that, I'd still say he was the best in my opinion, because of his first three.
    I remember when he started, I'd never heard anything like it. A lot of the other rappers sounded too similar by comparison.

Exactly, he has a sound and a style that is completely unique to himself. I know apart from the excellent Beautiful, he's not done alot of late, but his former work still stands there, and puts him way ahead of the others, imo.
    Like the great man says himself,

Theres a million of us, just like me
    who cuss like me, who dont give a f**k like me,
    who dress like me, walk, talk and act like me,
    And just might be the next best thing, but not quite me.
    Classic Eminem, love it.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom8592 wrote: »
    For me he peaked with Lose Yourself and everything since then has just been downhill...

heard that song with akon (another joke) on the way home and eminem sounds like a parody of himself.