Your personal Burger

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
Forum Member
I have been seeing an advert on DS all day with a big burger on it, and it has got me in the mood for a nice home made burger.

Just wondering what are some the DS foodies favourite recipes are?

What type of mince do you use?

How do you make the patty?

What salad and condiments do you put on it?

Do you toast the bun?

And anything else you would like to include on how to make your personal ultimate burger.

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I would try to emulate the whopper and have done in the past.

The last mince I got was great, but i'm not sure what it was. It was actually a pack of fresh burgers from the supermarket. You don't want anything too fatty though.

I put three in a bowl and squidged them together with my hands. I added a pinch of salt, pepper, onion salt and garlic salt.

I then rolled them out in to large, thin 1/4 patties.
    They were sized to fit a mini stottie bun.

Cook them on the chargrill pan justr until you get a nice colour and the lines on each side (weigh or press down to make sure of full contact).

The veg is lettuce, tomato and raw onion.
    The condiments are mayo and ketchup or burger relish.

Serve with McCain Crispy French Fries or MCCain Southern Fries.

but to be honest I go through phases and like variety. So the next burger I do may be a fatty burger, fried in a pan with onions and seved in a soft bun with a squirt of ketchup :)
  • trigpointtrigpoint Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simply mince, not too fatty but not too lean either otherwise they wont bind together.

Separate the mince out in mixing bowl, add finely chopped onion, salt and black pepper. Mix together and mold into solid balls, before pressing them into a burger mold, then grill.

I never toast, or put butter on the bun.

Build it up with a layer of chopped lettuce, and some Green Relish if someone in the family has been to North America, otherwise Branston Gherkin Relish. Next the grilled burger, topped with jalapeños and real American mustard.
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reasonably lean mince, finely chopped shallot and garlic salt and pepper. Chargrilled and then put on a lightly toasted ciabatta style bun that has pesto Mayo, rocket, mature cheddar, bacon and a fried egg....needless to say, I have this once in a blue moon!
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beef mince, not too lean, not too fatty. Into a mixing bowl with a pinch of salt and a good whack of pepper. Add Garlic and Onion granules to taste, as well as an egg yolk to help it all bind. Now I add whatever I fancy at the time, quite often chilli flakes or cayenne pepper or something with a bit of kick to it, but any herb or spice will brighten up the burger.

Into a bun, not toasted, with mayo on one side, ketchup on the other and some purple sprouting broccoli as a replacement for salad. It's my new thing, might sound a bit odd but it truly is divine! I just fry the broccoli off with a little butter, garlic and sometimes some parmesan cheese. Outstanding!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    i like to use a decent lean mince, and add/mush in with my fingers:- crushed garlic, finely chopped chilli, coarsely grated red onion, a tablespoon of finely grated parmesan, a tablespoon of finely grated stale/hard bread, an egg, salt and pepper. stuck in the fridge for an hour then fried using a non stick pan or with minimal oil. i like mine medium rare and in a sour dough bun with a slice of cheddar put on while the burger is still in the pan and almost cooked then add a chopped gherkin and a mustard, mayo, tom ketchup combo and a bit of crispy iceburg lettuce. serve up and enjoy delish.:)
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...try adding some dried apricot to the mince mix...O...M...G!!!

(it's nice)
  • weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I add green peppercorns to mine, you get these little bursts of spicy pepper...yum.
  • HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you have to have some fat in the mince otherwise is wont stick, that or add some cheese into the mix. all I need is some raw onion rings, jalapeños, and chilli sauce in the bun and mmmmm. I hate crumbly fatless dry burgers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    Well all your burgers do sound delicious, I notice that everyone seems to go with beef for their ideal burger. Also notice that only one went for an egg, and everyone fried :)

Well I made a few brie burgers.

Basically mix sea salt, pepper, and worcestershire sauce.

Divide into equal sized balls, wrap a basil leaf around a slice of brie and then press into the middle along with half a sun dried tomato, then reshape it into a patty about half an inch thick.

Get the grill nice and hot and put the rack at its highest position. Place the burgers on the rack and brush with the sundried tomato oil. Grilled for 5 minutes each side.

Put them on crusty buns, with salad leaves (I bought a mixed pack) Tomato slices, Gherkins, topped with the burger and then Tomato and Mayo on top.

Gorgeous.
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hurlley wrote: »
    you have to have some fat in the mince otherwise is wont stick, that or add some cheese into the mix. all I need is some raw onion rings, jalapeños, and chilli sauce in the bun and mmmmm. I hate crumbly fatless dry burgers.

Nothing worse than a dry burger. :eek:
    Well all your burgers do sound delicious, I notice that everyone seems to go with beef for their ideal burger. Also notice that only one went for an egg, and everyone fried :)

Well I made a few brie burgers.

Basically mix sea salt, pepper, and worcestershire sauce.

Divide into equal sized balls, wrap a basil leaf around a slice of brie and then press into the middle along with half a sun dried tomato, then reshape it into a patty about half an inch thick.

Get the grill nice and hot and put the rack at its highest position. Place the burgers on the rack and brush with the sundried tomato oil. Grilled for 5 minutes each side.

Put them on crusty buns, with salad leaves (I bought a mixed pack) Tomato slices, Gherkins, topped with the burger and then Tomato and Mayo on top.

Gorgeous.

I actually quite often grill or put mine in the oven for 20 mins.

Another tip a learnt from a chef friend is a way to beat the "burger bulge". You know the way if you make your burgers flat, they quite often "bulge" in the middle, well if you make a flat burger then squeeze the middle so it's a little bit more compressed than the outside, when you cook it the middle will "bulge" and come out perfectly formed. Hard to describe but I hope that makes sense.
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like a good old Aussie burger which includes a meat pattie, cheese, lettuce, tomato, fried onions, slices of tinned beetroot, a pineapple ring, bacon and a fried egg with a runny yolk, it's big, it's messy but it's bloody beautiful!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    PamelaL wrote: »
    I like a good old Aussie burger which includes a meat pattie, cheese, lettuce, tomato, fried onions, slices of tinned beetroot, a pineapple ring, bacon and a fried egg with a runny yolk, it's big, it's messy but it's bloody beautiful!!

That does sound nice, although I would probably not have the onion, beetroot and pineapple. Which I am guessing brings the burger away from the Aussie burger it once was :)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I make patties out of Sainsburys 97p mince. It is the best i find. Good value for two people.

I mix up spices,herbs and chopped onion with the mince and make them into burgers.

I don't really like burgers and buns as it is uncouth to eat them with the hands, so I omit the buns.

I make an onion salad with some of that hot tomato relish from Sainsburys.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Nothing worse than a dry burger. :eek:

I actually quite often grill or put mine in the oven for 20 mins.

Another tip a learnt from a chef friend is a way to beat the "burger bulge". You know the way if you make your burgers flat, they quite often "bulge" in the middle, well if you make a flat burger then squeeze the middle so it's a little bit more compressed than the outside, when you cook it the middle will "bulge" and come out perfectly formed. Hard to describe but I hope that makes sense.
    That's a good tip.

When i'm frying or more typically for burgers, using
    the griddle pan I just stick another pan on top to weigh the food down. Works for loads of things. Fresh fish to get a crispy skin when frying.