Numbsculls in officialdom

mickbirch2000mickbirch2000 Posts: 745
Forum Member
✭✭
"We have been working with the family to address their concerns, but we dont comment on individual cases"
Heard today a direct quote on breakfast TV, how do these people get employed?

Comments

• GonerilGoneril Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they have the ''gift'' of being able to say a lot without actually informing you of anything.It's written large on their cv's.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    "We have been working with the family to address their concerns, but we dont comment on individual cases"

I don't understand what the problem is. :confused:
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What's wrong with that?

It's not prudent to comment on on-going cases.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    They said it plain enough.

Data protection+confidentiality= not allowed to tell anyone.
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What's your point here?
  • technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardly something to get your knickers in a kerfuffle about.......
  • mickbirch2000mickbirch2000 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My point is they have commented on the case followed immediately by "we do not comment on individual cases"
    Small point I know but symptomatic of the meaningless blurb from officialdom sometimes.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    My point is they have commented on the case followed immediately by "we do not comment on individual cases"
    Small point I know but symptomatic of the meaningless blurb from officialdom sometimes.

Why, what did they say about the case exactly? Could you maybe put this into context with a link or something?
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Isn't it obvious that they've been asked for a comment by the press but as they are unable to comment on individual cases rather than saying "no comment" they've just fed the press some waffle and sent them on the way.

Surely you could have worked that out.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What else were they supposed to say?
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    They have not really commented on the case. They have simply said that there *is* a case. They have not said what it is, or what it is about.

I agree that there are complete numpties in a lot of government depts and local authorities. But I'd say there were just as many at the end of the phone in banks, delivery companies etc. too.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sounds entirely fine to me. We're working on it, but we can't say any more....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They haven't commented at all. Quite the opposite.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "We have been working with the family to address their concerns, but we dont comment on individual cases"Heard today a direct quote on breakfast TV, how do these people get employed?

The most convenient get out of answering a relevant question that exists.

I'd love it if an interviewer responded to that with "why not, you know all about the case, why can't you comment on it ?"
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »

I'd love it if an interviewer responded to that with "why not, you know all about the case, why can't you comment on it ?"

Do you really not know the answer to that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »

The interviewer could say that but it would be a stupid question.