This Cot Death storyline in Eastenders

CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just no depths to which Eastenders won't plummet in it's quest for ratings. Why would anyone in their right mind want to spend New Year watching hammy actors shouting , screaming and plunged into the depths of despair by possibly the most traumatic event that could happen to anyone? How can that be entertaining to watch? I'm baffled :confused: But tbf I am baffled how anyone can enjoy this half hour shoutfest at any time.

They don't "need" to show it for public awareness, they "want" to show it for ratings cos for some bizarre reason there's 10 million people in this country that like to be entertained by cot death, rape and murder on a regualr basis - oh and god awful acting and writing.

Not only that , I hear the death isn't enough for them , they have to go further and make the bereaved mum steal Kat Slater's (sorry im embarrassed to even know a characters name) baby. Lovely for all the impressionable 10 and 11 year olds who'll be forced to watch, probably all go to bed in tears - again ...."why does everyone in the world hate eachother Mummy?" :mad:

Something really needs to be done to stop this rampaging doom machine draining the country of any happiness at all. Truly awful programme with not one benefit that i can see to our society,

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    Oh jeez, I do not get the big fuss about this. Cot deaths happen in real life, what's the problem with it being portrayed sensitively on a soap?

You hate Eastenders obviously, so you won't be watching it I presume? Thus it will not affect you anyway.
  • CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkle_18 wrote: »
    Oh jeez, I do not get the big fuss about this. Cot deaths happen in real life, what's the problem with it being portrayed sensitively on a soap?

You hate Eastenders obviously, so you won't be watching it I presume? Thus it will not affect you anyway.

It's not cot death - i am well aware it happens all the time and if there's a documentary about it or covered in some other form of media like an interesting newspaper article then great - but anything ........anything...........but Eastenders going near it.
    Forum Member
    It's not cot death - i am well aware it happens all the time and if there's a documentary about it or covered in some other form of media like an interesting newspaper article then great - but anything ........anything...........but Eastenders going near it.

But why? I understand Eastenders isn't exactly the most amazing show, but to their credit they handled the bi polar story lines very very well, and I think it's only fair people wait and watch it before assuming this will be awful.

I also read the Daily Mail article about some mother's apparently finding this offensive. I think it's pretty ridiculous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hate isn't a strong enough word for how I feel about Eastenders. It's an evil programme that should be on BBC3 after 9pm if it must be on at all - truly depressing and is an energy drain on it's viewers. I simply do not see how anyone can watch it and feel anything other than totally miserable afterwards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But why? I understand Eastenders isn't exactly the most amazing show, but to their credit they handled the bi polar story lines very very well, and I think it's only fair people wait and watch it before assuming this will be awful.

I also read the Daily Mail article about some mother's apparently finding this offensive. I think it's pretty ridiculous.

I saw a clip of Phil's crack addiction the other day - HOW is that deemed to be "family" viewing? I really don't understand. If a soap has to prove itself with every storyline about how real life and gritty it is then it needs to be moved to post watershed imo. I don't understand what a parent could possibly say to a child between 7-12 yrs old about Phils crack addiction? That's not being prudish , i'm all for kids learning the realities of the world , just in any wayshape or form that does not include Eastenders.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    Hate isn't a strong enough word for how I feel about Eastenders. It's an evil programme that should be on BBC3 after 9pm if it must be on at all - truly depressing and is an energy drain on it's viewers. I simply do not see how anyone can watch it and feel anything other than totally miserable afterwards.

Calm down, it's just a TV show. :eek:

All of these 'depressing', 'miserable' labels are so tabloid cliche they've lost all meaning. There are light hearted moments in every episode of EE.

Not that you'd know, but the aim of the storyline isn't really about the actual event of the cot death or the swap. The storyline is about two characters, Ronnie and Kat, who both have past demons with children. With Ronnie it's having a child she has longed for being taken away and with Kat it's having to a live a life with other people bringing up your child. It's about how those past events will ultimately shape the way that they will deal with the events coming up.

It's fictional drama made for entertainment purposes and I for one am looking forward to this storyline, I love the dark and gritty storylines that EE does.

I bet you end up watching these episodes though just outrage yourself and then come back here on DS to say how disgusted you are. :rolleyes:
  • SecretSmilerSecretSmiler Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whose baby is it

edit: ignore that just seen post above
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand your point as well Sparkle, you're a fan (of sorts) and you're old enough to choose what you watch , i think on reflection my main issue with Eastenders is it's timeslot........7.30 and 8pm in the evening seems totally inadequate to me when so many parents are sat there with young children that's all. Well that and the 28 minutes out of 29 that include shouting, screaming and arguing which cannot be good for anyoen's psyche.
    Forum Member
    I dunno, I don't really think there's an issue tbh. The soaps have been going so many years, that people would at least have an idea of the content by now, so if they are that against a child seeing a specific storyline, they could easily stop them from watching it.

I don't think anything is a shock in the soaps anymore, how long has Corrie been going, 50 odd years? and they've dealt with pretty much every topic under the sun; rape/murder etc etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroChris wrote: »
    Calm down, it's just a TV show. :eek:

All of these 'depressing', 'miserable' labels are so tabloid cliche they've lost all meaning. There are light hearted moments in every episode of EE.

Not that you'd know, but the aim of the storyline isn't really about the actual event of the cot death or the swap. The storyline is about two characters, Ronnie and Kat, who both have past demons with children. With Ronnie it's having a child she has longed for being taken away and with Kat it's having to a live a life with other people bringing up your child. It's about how those past events will ultimately shape the way that they will deal with the events coming up.

Right , ok some context, fair enough................i have my in laws here till after new year and they all watch it and I just KNOW all i will hear fomr my front room for 3 nights is wailing banshee noises and agonising screaming - i just don't need it!! :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I jus tthink it's a bit sick to base your top programmes New Year blockbuster storyline around a cot death and subsequent snatching!! How festive.
    Forum Member
    I jus tthink it's a bit sick to base your top programmes New Year blockbuster storyline around a cot death and subsequent snatching!! How festive.

If it was a fly-on-the-wall documentary actually showing a real life cot death then I could understand your point, but EE is fictional. EE viewers expect hard hitting drama particularly at this time of year because they want to be entertained.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroChris wrote: »
    If it was a fly-on-the-wall documentary actually showing a real life cot death then I could understand your point, but EE is fictional. EE viewers expect hard hitting drama particularly at this time of year because they want to be entertained.

EE viewers range from 5-12 :mad: Many of them with no choice.

does "hard hitting" just mean hammily acted and depressing?
    Forum Member

It's up to parents to decide what their very young children watch and in any case, children have to learn that life isn't all a barrel of laughs and that bad things happen.

I started watching EE when I was 7 and it did me no harm.
  • ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member

I'm 19 and still watch it - as do many of the people i work with who are also over the age of 12.

Don't like it, don't watch it.

I also find it hard to believe you can form an opinion on something you haven't seen.
  • jeymzjeymz Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you don't like it, don't watch it. Plenty of other channels for you.
    Millions of people will, and do enjoy Eastenders for it's Hard-hitting drama.

It's a bloody TV show. No one goes to bed that evening wondering why the world is so full of hatred and misery- because its fictional.
    Not much more disturbing to a child than, for example, BBC News- which tells us of real misery, real war and real hatred.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeymz wrote: »
    If you don't like it, don't watch it. Plenty of other channels for you.
    Millions of people will, and do enjoy Eastenders for it's Hard-hitting drama.

It's a bloody TV show. No one goes to bed that evening wondering why the world is so full of hatred and misery- because its fictional.
    Not much more disturbing to a child than, for example, BBC News- which tells us of real misery, real war and real hatred.

:yawn::yawn: this is a forum for reading and discussion. If you had done the first part you would realise I am talking about the poor souls who can't turn it off. If you are a parent who watches Eastenders I implore you to record it and watch it when they are in bed. The shouting and scremaing isn't good for their development.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All you people defending it showing these storylines, do you think as a programme Eastenders is worth watching as well? And if so what is it you like about it? I am more than fascinated to know because I routinely find myself laughing out loud at the acting and writing when i have the misfortune to catch 10 minutes............and please don't get all high and mighty about that statement, it is the truth I can't help it if i find it highly amusing.

I mean you probably all feel you are inthe majority bashing my views but the fact is there's loads more people feel the way I do than are pro Eastenders but they can't be arsed with the argument about it as it goes nowhere. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :yawn::yawn: this is a forum for reading and discussion. If you had done the first part you would realise I am talking about the poor souls who can't turn it off. If you are a parent who watches Eastenders I implore you to record it and watch it when they are in bed. The shouting and scremaing isn't good for their development.

I don't think there's many parents who insist their children watch Eastenders. I grew up with it on in the background most evenings and I turned out just fine thanks :) If a child is too young to have developed the independence to leave the room and do as they wish, I very much doubt they can follow an adult television drama.
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not all shouting and screaming, you would know this if you watched it! All fictional soaps have some shouting and screaming, why single out EE?? In fact lots of other programmes have shouting and screaming too!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All you people defending it showing these storylines, do you think as a programme Eastenders is worth watching as well? And if so what is it you like about it? I am more than fascinated to know because I routinely find myself laughing out loud at the acting and writing when i have the misfortune to catch 10 minutes............and please don't get all high and mighty about that statement, it is the truth I can't help it if i find it highly amusing.

I mean you probably all feel you are inthe majority bashing my views but the fact is there's loads more people feel the way I do than are pro Eastenders but they can't be arsed with the argument about it as it goes nowhere. :D

10 Million+ millitant haters? Doubt it. 10 Million people probably don't care for it, but I doubt they feel the need to express rage about it, and probably just change the channel when it comes on. I feel the same way about many TV shows, but because I don't care for them- I see no point in wasting my time complaining about their content.

Why do I like it? Because it entertains me. That's the aim of most programmes on television.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there's many parents who insist their children watch Eastenders. I grew up with it on in the background most evenings and I turned out just fine thanks :) If a child is too young to have developed the independence to leave the room and do as they wish, I very much doubt they can follow an adult television drama.

Yeh I imagine that is the case in many households but Eastenders is like radiation - a silent killer - of hope and optimism in this case - you'll have been playing away on your Donkey Kong machine or something whilst the whole time all that inane drivel will have been filtering into your subconscience and made you 10% less happy than you could have been.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fleet wrote: »
    Its not all shouting and screaming, you would know this if you watched it! All fictional soaps have some shouting and screaming, why single out EE?? In fact lots of other programmes have shouting and screaming too!!!

You are correct - all soaps have a silly proportion of shouting and screaming over nothing but Eastenders really did corner the market in it - minimum of 25 minutes for every half hour show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10 Million+ millitant haters? Doubt it. 10 Million people probably don't care for it, but I doubt they feel the need to express rage about it, and probably just change the channel when it comes on. I feel the same way about many TV shows, but because I don't care for them- I see no point in wasting my time complaining about their content.

Why do I like it? Because it entertains me. That's the aim of most programmes on television.

I don't think I'd be moaning if it was on after 9 - well i may laugh and scoff at how rubbish the acting is and how all the charatcers just play themselves but I wouldn't have such issues with it's storylines if it was post watershed. It's timeslot is amazing!! A seminal character plunging into the depths of despair on crack at 7.30 - how anyone can defend that i do not know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeh I imagine that is the case in many households but Eastenders is like radiation - a silent killer - of hope and optimism in this case - you'll have been playing away on your Donkey Kong machine or something whilst the whole time all that inane drivel will have been filtering into your subconscience and made you 10% less happy than you could have been.

Seriously? :eek:
    I guess we should just wrap all children in cotton-wool then and pretend nothing bad ever happens- Its all just smiles and rainbows. We should put that Macca-Pacca nonsence on BBC1 all day In fear that a child might get a glimse of real sadness that occurs all around us.
    I'd actually say it's more emotionally damaging to a child to raise them to be naive and unaware. But each to their own.
This discussion has been closed.