Remake of Total recall

13»

Comments

• giratalkialgagiratalkialga Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I think that's nonsense, you need blood and gore to make death horrifying.

Dredd is an 18, it has lots of sadistic violence, blood and gore and it just came across as a bit childish, like something a vaguely psychopathic teenager had dreamed up. The Hunger Games is a 15, it has much less sadistic violence, blood and gore, it cares far more about the effects of violence.

If you want people to care about the effects of violence, you need characterisation and good quality filmmaking, not vats of fake blood...

I didn't mean for it to come across that way; I completely agree with you on that point. My fault for not making it clear enough.

What I don't understand is that somehow the quick cuts in PG-13/12A action movies are considered to be 'more appropriate' for a younger audience e.g. when the characters miraculously bounce back to life after being shot/stabbed etc. with no wounds whatsoever. If the deaths are truer to real life, then it will show them the real consequences of killing without any of the sugar-coating. I know I come across as a PC numpty when I said that, but ultimately this will also make for more realistic films, enjoyment-wise.

Vats of blood do not make a good film, but in the action genre you need realism to tell the story more effectively (of course along with good characterisation and storytelling).