Pop - 33.5%
Rock - 31.3%
MOR/Easy Listening - 7.6%
R&B - 7.2%
Dance - 6.3%
Classical - 3.7%
Hip hop - 2.2%

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/21011713

But doubtless there are many on this forum who would quibble at Coldplay and Mumford & Sons being classified as "rock"...

Comments

• Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Pop - 33.5%
    Rock - 31.3%
    MOR/Easy Listening - 7.6%
    R&B - 7.2%
    Dance - 6.3%
    Classical - 3.7%
    Hip hop - 2.2%

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/21011713

But doubtless there are many on this forum who would quibble at Coldplay and Mumford & Sons being classified as "rock"...

not wishing to be pedantic for the sake of it but...

those % dont add up! :D theres about 10% missing!
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this shows the "death" of Rock music in this country is vastly over-exaggerated and it is remarkable how much exposure the likes of R&B and Hip Hop get on the radio, Radio1 Extra for example, given how low their combined percentages are.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think this shows the "death" of Rock music in this country is vastly over-exaggerated and it is remarkable how much exposure the likes of R&B and Hip Hop get on the radio, Radio1 Extra for example, given how low their combined percentages are.

Maybe R & B/Hip Hop fans don't feel the need to buy their music as it's always being played on the Radio/MTV, etc.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Maybe R & B/Hip Hop fans don't feel the need to buy their music as it's always being played on the Radio/MTV, etc.

Or they acquire their music by other means, perhaps...... ;)
  • Options
    Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this seems to prove to me is how 'beige' things have got at the commercial end - in all genres - the major record labels / large media concerns are commercially backing (or towards) MOR / mediocre music in whatever genre it is (very much in a similar way that happened in the mid '70's).

Quote article extrracts
    'MOR/Easy Listening replaced R&B as the third biggest-selling albums genre in 2012'
    'rock music in its broadest sense also rebounded with Coldplay, Mumford & Sons and Gotye' - wouldn't consider any of them rock bands personally.

Also would consider Adele, Emeli Sandé etc as Adult Contemporary / MOR / getting towards easy listening especially Sandé - not pop at all in the traditional sense.

What actually can be classified as rock / pop / dance / R&B / Hip-hop - the commercial end of music seems to becoming an indistiguisable homogenised, increasing irrelevent, marketised product to me.

All forms of musical genres seem to be fragmenting It is becoming harder & harder for the music marketers to box artists into these genres to make their jobs easier - musically this create positives, commercally the major music concerns are getting into increasingly riskier territory if there is a reaction against this MOR direction (commercial end) music has gone.Remember what happened at the end of the seventies.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or they acquire their music by other means, perhaps...... ;)

Nothing would make me more happy than one of these so-called gangsta rappers going broke because it's cool to nick their records ;):D
  • Options
    Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's what the kids like though :p, even though Hip-hop is 40 years old now.Perhaps a large % of the yoof are starting to reject Hip-hop & related R&B as no longer the sound of their generation - as basically it isn't :o , even though it's still marketed as such :confused: