The Wolverine

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
Forum Member
I watched this yesterday and found it quite dull, formularic and lots of nonsense, plot holes and continuity errors.

When I found out it was set in Japan I had a feeling it would be basically a martial arts film and I wasn't wrong.

In my opinion the best and most interesting part of the film was the teaser in the credits at the end.

Good news about that... you only have about 2 minutes to wait to see it. It's before the long list of actors etc so you don't have to sit there for over 5 minutes bored waiting to see it.

I wasn't blown away by either Wolverine films but did thing the first one was better than this.

Wolverine - 6/10
The Wolverine - 4.5/10

Comments

• Ben_FreemanBen_Freeman Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it
  • BowmaniBowmani Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Went to see this today. Awesome film, don't leave the cinema too early or you'll miss an amazing mid-credits X-Men: Days of Future Past scene, this scene was worth the price of admission alone!:rock:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Money talks, die hard fans can go suck an egg.

I would love to say this is one Wolverine film too far, but its not, it's two or three Wolverine films too far.

If you like watching Hugh Jackman with his shirt off in this quasi homoerotic escapade, more power to you, but its not a good film and it defecates on the lore in places.

It's not a terrible film either, its just not good.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I just got back from watching this and had no idea about the scene at the end. Can someone say what happened.

I enjoyed the film. It was very formulaic,but I love the x men so it was all good. Better than Man of steel and world war Z.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    I was going to see it today but I slept in :(.

I don't have much of an urge to go see it but I like Marvel.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Much better then the first Wolverine film - 8/10

Action - better then most of the Blockbuster films I've seen this year.
    Story - crazy, yes, but still very enjoyable.
    And Yukio can be my Bodyguard any time.;)

Plus, you don't have to wait an age for the extra scene at the end.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't mind seeing it,it looks good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Oh I just got back from watching this and had no idea about the scene at the end. Can someone say what happened.

I enjoyed the film. It was very formulaic,but I love the x men so it was all good. Better than Man of steel and world war Z.

I don't know about the DC superhero films, but all the Marvel ones have an extra scene either mid way through the credits or at the end.
    The one at the end of The Avengers and Iron man 3 you have a long wait until the end to see which means almost 10 minutes of waiting as all the credits role.
    This film you get the extra scene after about two minutes before they really go into the entire cast list and the production list.

The extra scene is this....
    Wolverine is at the airport, he's waitng to go through security and he's looking at the TV screen.There is a new report about a company called Trask, which is a set up for The Sentinals in the next X-Men film. He moves forward and he says I'll go for the pat down, steel plate in my leg (doesn't want the scanners going off). He notices that things are starting to shake, primarily metal objects, he guesses quickly, spins around with his claws out and standing behind him in standard day clothes is Magneto (Sir Ian Mckellan), they talk a bit and Magneto gives him a warning.

Wolverine says why should I believe you, it's then that Wolverine notices that everyone around him is frozen not moving. Another person speaks. Straight away he recognises that voice, he turns around and there in his wheelchair heading towards him is Professor Xavier (Sir Patrick Stewart). Wolverine is confused and says how? Professor X says I once told you that you aren't the only one that can do amazing things.... scene ends
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Money talks, die hard fans can go suck an egg.

I would love to say this is one Wolverine film too far, but its not, it's two or three Wolverine films too far.

If you like watching Hugh Jackman with his shirt off in this quasi homoerotic escapade, more power to you, but its not a good film and it defecates on the lore in places.

It's not a terrible film either, its just not good.

IMO they are doing overkill on Wolverine. The first three X-Men films were built around him, they give him 2 films of his own, he does a cameo in the reboot of the X-Men.
    There are plans to expand the "X-Men/mutant universe with a film of another group... X-Force and Wolverine was once a member of that. Will they cameo him in that as well?

He may be a great character in printed form as you use your imagination more and can make him as animalistic, crazy and savage as your imagination wants him to be, on screen I don't find him that interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about the DC superhero films, but all the Marvel ones have an extra scene either mid way through the credits or at the end.
    The one at the end of The Avengers and Iron man 3 you have a long wait until the end to see which means almost 10 minutes of waiting as all the credits role.
    This film you get the extra scene after about two minutes before they really go into the entire cast list and the production list.

The extra scene is this....
    Wolverine is at the airport, he's waitng to go through security and he's looking at the TV screen.There is a new report about a company called Trask, which is a set up for The Sentinals in the next X-Men film. He moves forward and he says I'll go for the pat down, steel plate in my leg (doesn't want the scanners going off). He notices that things are starting to shake, primarily metal objects, he guesses quickly, spins around with his claws out and standing behind him in standard day clothes is Magneto (Sir Ian Mckellan), they talk a bit and Magneto gives him a warning.

Wolverine says why should I believe you, it's then that Wolverine notices that everyone around him is frozen not moving. Another person speaks. Straight away he recognises that voice, he turns around and there in his wheelchair heading towards him is Professor Xavier (Sir Patrick Stewart). Wolverine is confused and says how? Professor X says I once told you that you aren't the only one that can do amazing things.... scene ends

Thanks. Can't wait to see this.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Just saw The Wolverine and its a good film.It was a better than I thought it would be however I was suprised at the lack of action in it as well as it could have done with a few more action scenes in it!

I think they put all the action scenes from the film into the trailer but it Didnt spoil the film for me!

The mid credit scene is better than the whole of The Wolverine though!

The Wolverine 3 out of 5
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the first one only just tickled my fancy, this one however does nothing for me
    Forum Member
    It's better than the first film
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I'll have to go and see it again just to see the spoiler.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I think I'll have to go and see it again just to see the spoiler.

Here you go, save you the trip ;) If you'd rather see it in the cinema then don't click :D
    http://youtu.be/F9UGUPS7dQA
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought this would be a total stinker, but surprisingly (mildly) entertained by it.

If you're after tons of X Men fare, mutant action then you're likely to be disappointed. I'm not familiar with the source comic, but the plot is pretty simple to follow and the Japan setting lends a much calmer, serene feel as a backdrop to The Wolverine's latest exploits. The action sequences are of the usual bloodless type befitting a 12A (do wish they'd one day release a full 18 limbs-go-flying Wolverine film..), with the standout piece being the bullet train fight. The plot device leading to Logan's temporary 'humanising', brings some parity to the many engagements he has with the Yakuza / generic mob baddies, and this ups the danger quotient for him. As an immortal mutant, his battles even with multiple baddies does seem pretty redundant.

The familiar 'bodyguard' aspect of the film makes it, I think, far more accessible than the previous standalone Origins movie and the casual cinema goer should find a lot to like. Jackman is as impressive as usual (but do wonder how many more of these he'll do before the wrinkles on an ageless Wolverine being to really show..) and there's plenty of Jack(man) flesh for the ladies to drool over. Guys will find themselves totally bewitched by the stunning actress who played Yashida's grand daughter (Maiko, or something like that).

Wolverine is still a C-list hero and if it wasn't for Jackman's star power, these solo movie outings are unwarranted. There's just so much moping and brooding you can take, even if his penchant for quips does lighten proceedings up a bit. The mid credit scene, rather than have me gleeful, just made me think "man, these guys are all too old for this stuff now".

Anyhoo, not a bad film and deserving of the plentiful 3 star reviews it's getting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got back from seeing it now (and having an inpatient family complete missed the mid credits spoiler thing :mad:)

I m confused though: it looked to me like the evil blonde lady's scenes were re-dubbed with (presumably her own voice)?? It just looked odd
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Here you go, save you the trip ;) If you'd rather see it in the cinema then don't click :D
    http://youtu.be/F9UGUPS7dQA

Thanks for this:). Saved me a trip back to the cinema. I can't wait until next year.
    Forum Member
    The director James Mangold has said that there will an unrated bloodier cut of the film when its released on Blu Ray and DVD
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    The director James Mangold has said that there will an unrated bloodier cut of the film when its released on Blu Ray and DVD

How typical :rolleyes:

Seems to be the way these days. Release a teen friendly = more bums on seats 12A rating and then release the bloodier cut on dvd which would have warranted an original 15 certificate.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    How typical :rolleyes:

Seems to be the way these days. Release a teen friendly = more bums on seats 12A rating and then release the bloodier cut on dvd which would have warranted an original 15 certificate.

Marvel is owned by Disney so they aim the movies at children.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    The Wolverine is a better film than the first, Yukio the bodyguard is a cool character and deserves her own film, overall the film is about seven out of ten
  • TheIllusionistTheIllusionist Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Better than Wolverine Origins, but not as good as First Class.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    Marvel is owned by Disney so they aim the movies at children.

The X-Men franchise is currently owned by 20th Century Fox, not Disney.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it today, and though some scenes where agonisingly boring, it wasn't completely terrible. Did enjoy the first Wolverine film more. Loved the Viper woman, she is so hot!!!
    That credit sequence made me wee a little bit in my pants!!!!!!! :) can't wait for the next one!!!