Options

Leona Lewis DISCUSSION thread

Comments

• Options
    VirtuosoVirtuoso Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just some positivity to draw on Island released Ship to Wreck on April 8 and it's presently 18 on iTunes with the album expected to hit number one. She also performed on Jimmy Fallon yesterday with the same song so we might be seeing a long promo for FUMF. Might just be FUMF for a long time yet... though to be fair Ship to Wreck wasn't the first track on the album.
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virtuoso wrote: »
    I wish I was as certain as you but at the same time the optimism is required at these times. Do we know how many times they've spun it? Do we know how impactful Radio 2 is on sales?

I would say than any artist that has a single on the A list of either radio 1 or 2 has a pretty good chance of doing well as they are the most listened to stations. It's nearly another month before it released as well, so people will be familiar with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say than any artist that has a single on the A list of either radio 1 or 2 has a pretty good chance of doing well as they are the most listened to stations. It's nearly another month before it released as well, so people will be familiar with it.

I'm not sure if you've been made aware yet but FUMF is out on the 7th now. They've brought it forward.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virtuoso wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you've been made aware yet but FUMF is out on the 7th now. They've brought it forward.

Cheers, first i had heard that,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just sticking to this forum by the way. Not sure if everybody is aware but Walking on Sunshine is now being released in the US. It wasn't a runaway hit here so not sure why it's being released but it's good news all the same.

http://www.etonline.com/music/165182_leona_lewis_goes_80s_glam_acting_debut_see_a_sneak_peek_of_walking_on_sunshine/
  • Options
    DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    joeseeks wrote: »
    People's delusion in the other thread is totally ridiculous and it means they're often rude when somebody poses a slight ounce of negative realism.

Absolutely this!

often claiming how every single can be sent to American radio and become a hit! America is 100% more difficult to crack and nothing's happening in the UK yet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    At first listen, I'll admit I was rather too optimistic in my expectations of the single setting the charts alight.

In retrospect, Fire Under My Feet is a song I like but it's not special. There is something about it which just screams "I'm not original. You've heard me before", I really do think they were attempting to copy Adele's Rolling In The Deep/One Republic's Counting Stars so they could have a cross over appeal but both songs are far superior in terms of quality and originality; I don't think musically Leona has found her direction yet. Leona's voice still sounds "off", especially at the beginning, the track sounds like a demo, some of the lyrics are as basic as it gets, the verses are virtually Katy Perry's Roar( which is a better song). I did praise the video for being simple, until I realized it was a clone of Christina Aguilera's Beautiful.

The utter lack of hype about Leona Lewis nowadays is what is worrying, I can't remember the last time she had a solid hit in the UK. Chart longevity for her seems like a thing of the past, Fire Under My Feet comes out in less than 12 hours and I heard it just entered the Top 1000 on radio airplay - Lord Have Mercy!!!

I hope Island have prepared for the worst case scenario plan and have back up singles. I need Leona to come back with a BANG! Give me a fresh sound, break dance in a video, climb a mountain, walk on water, anything!
  • Options
    DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio 2 have played it 16 times.

http://comparemyradio.com/tracks/Leona_Lewis/Fire_Under_My_Feet

The only station playing it more than 30 times in a station on the Isle of Wight.

The current iTunes number one has been played over 5000 times on radio in the past month. That's the number she needs to be successful. Not 16 plays! That is no impact. Neither is John bishop and Sunday night at the palladium. One off TV shows will not impact the charts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do not need to hype someone as good as Leona is.
  • Options
    mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This single is her "I'm back" might do better in the charts overtime. She has other better singles which will follow after this will be promoted differently most likely . I'm sure she'll have a x factor performance.
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DamienS wrote: »
    Absolutely this!

often claiming how every single can be sent to American radio and become a hit! America is 100% more difficult to crack and nothing's happening in the UK yet.

No one is claiming its easy, its comments like this that bug me, you might get annoyed at the optimism, but I mainly get annoyed at people twisting comments, its all speculation, no one is saying anything is for sure. Its chit chat to keep the thread going and to keep morales up, 'yes things aren't going well just now, but it can change', is the whole idea of those dicussions, keeps us upbeat and postive about the future.

What else should we do? Should we be depressed and down about the situation, why? We can't change a thing, so no point getting worked up about it.

People are being optimistic and saying that if she CAN get a hit in the US then the rest of the world would follow. And US radio is a lot less judgemental than UK radio, they don't care she is 30, or a reality tv winner, they don't have the history of her having a few underperforming singles in a row, she has just disapeared over their for the most part. She is back now with a major player label, Def Jam, that commands respect, she has got herself back in a major position again after a disaterous few years. That pricks ears up at radios and the press etc when the press release and track gets sent to them.

Def Jam wouldn't have signed her if they didn't have a desire to push her in the US.
  • Options
    joeseeksjoeseeks Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Urgh, out tomorrow and not even top 1000 on iTunes.

This is going to be such a spectacular flop. Why does this always happen to my favs..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joeseeks wrote: »
    Urgh, out tomorrow and not even top 1000 on iTunes.

This is going to be such a spectacular flop. Why does this always happen to my favs..

Are yiou for real? Who care's about itunes? Only the kids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Every artist needs some level of hype. Look at Taylor Swift, she won't be hitting the high notes as good as Leona Lewis anytime soon but she is a master in remaining relevant. Catchy songs, unique cinema-style videos etc it all pays off, she is Number 1 on iTunes for a reason, her dominating the music industry is no mistake and Leona, as good as she is, is where?

While I know people are going to say "quality over quantity" and we shouldn't care about her sales or chart positions because it's all about the music. I doubt her record label will be thinking the same.
  • Options
    IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    Are yiou for real? Who care's about itunes? Only the kids.

Weren't you telling everyone when Fleur went no.1 on iTunes how it was amazing and how she shows she's relevant and that it will sell well? So you're now saying the opposite basically?

It's out tomorrow. It should be higher up if it's going to get a decent position in the charts. Simple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iTzEbz wrote: »
    Every artist needs some level of hype. Look at Taylor Swift, she won't be hitting the high notes as good as Leona Lewis anytime soon but she is a master in remaining relevant. Catchy songs, unique cinema-style videos etc it all pays off, she is Number 1 on iTunes for a reason, her dominating the music industry is no mistake and Leona, as good as she is, is where?

While I know people are going to say "quality over quantity" and we shouldn't care about her sales or chart positions because it's all about the music. I doubt her record label will be thinking the same.

Honestly, you can't pur Swift in the same calibre as Leona. It's laughable to even suggest it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As talented as she is. Clearly she does need some hype
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As this been promoted? Tbh I completely forgot all about this new song till I saw this thread /:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Honestly, you can't pur Swift in the same calibre as Leona. It's laughable to even suggest it.

They are both female pop stars who are competing in the music industry. That's how I see them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zone_Out wrote: »
    As this been promoted? Tbh I completely forgot all about this new song till I saw this thread /:

Radio 1, Capital, Heart, Smooth, Kiss and basically all major UK stations seemed to have snubbed it, only major station supporting her is Radio 2 which has B-Listed it.

I think her team have reacted to the major stations ignoring it, decided to get the track out as soon as, and move on from it quickly. Its the only reason I can understand for bringing the release date forward 3 weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    Radio 1, Capital, Heart, Smooth, Kiss and basically all major UK stations seemed to have snubbed it, only major station supporting her is Radio 2 which has B-Listed it.

I think her team have reacted to the major stations ignoring it, decided to get the track out as soon as, and move on from it quickly. Its the only reason I can understand for bringing the release date forward 3 weeks.

Didn't she record a TV performance weeks ago? I don't know if it aired already?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zone_Out wrote: »
    Didn't she record a TV performance weeks ago? I don't know if it aired already?

It airs tomorrow, Sunday Night At The Palladium. Hope it gives the track a strong boost.
  • Options
    LeonalewisJfanLeonalewisJfan Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Taylor Swift is unbelievably talented, she is able to craft and write great songs, and has an incredible work ethic. Talent is not ALWAYS down to the vocals, there are other bits that make up the song
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taylor Swift is unbelievably talented, she is able to craft and write great songs, and has an incredible work ethic. Talent is not ALWAYS down to the vocals, there are other bits that make up the song

As with any artist it is all subjective really. which is not a bad thing.