The Bridge - Season 1 (US Pace)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Bridge launches tonight in the US on FX...

Stars Diane Krugar and Demián Bichir

Based loosely on the Danish / Swedish TV series of the same name, The Bridge follows two police detectives – one Mexican, one from the United States – and their joint effort to investigate a serial killer menacing both nations along the Texas-Mexico border Their investigation is complicated by the rampant corruption and general apathy among the Mexican authorities and the violence of the powerful borderland drug cartels.The show title refers to the Bridge of the Americas that serves as a border crossing between El Paso, Texas and Juárez, Chihuahua, Mexico, the setting of the series.

Comments

• MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to it. And of course since there is the added element of the show being a remake of a series I have seen, I will be judging it not just on its own terms, but in comparison to the Scandinavian show.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of this. I'lll check out the pilot. Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky are doing a UK version called The Tunnel as well.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky are doing a UK version called The Tunnel as well.

Is that true?
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    I'll be giving it a go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Is that true?

Yes, co-produced by France's Canal+. Both Sky and Canal+ have fairly good track records with originals, so I wouldn't be too concerned..
    Forum Member
    To me this looks interesting, but having Asperger's, I am slightly concerned about whether this might give off the wrong impression or be heavily inaccurate to the point of being offensive, or just generally be offensive. I've head that they worked with Autism Speaks, which shows they at least tried to get an accurate portrayal, but then Autism Speaks' reputation proceeds it, so it's up in the air for me...
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have seen the original which imo was EXCELLENT! Truly superb show.

Since this is a FX show i really hope it comes to Fox UK. I would most certainly watch this. It's had pretty positive reviews in the States and the 2 main leads are very good too, esp. Demián Bichir who is mostly unknown but is a quality actor and has done some very good work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Pilot was brilliant :O

I didn't know anything about the show really, I didnt watch any trailers but it was very good...

Acting is superb

9/10
    Forum Member
    It was good. A bit better than the first episode of the original series, though largely following what we saw in the originals series' first episode. The severity in the differences between America and Mexico make for a much richer culture clash than what we got in the Sweden/Denmark show. And the script here was tighter. In the Scandinavian show there was a tendency for scenes to drag, something that I think was caused by having to fill up time without having enough money to do more changes of scene.
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    It was good. A bit better than the first episode of the original series, though largely following what we saw in the originals series' first episode. The severity in the differences between America and Mexico make for a much richer culture clash than what we got in the Sweden/Denmark show. And the script here was tighter. In the Scandinavian show there was a tendency for scenes to drag, something that I think was caused by having to fill up time without having enough money to do more changes of scene.

I think it was too close to the original, I'd like to see them change things a bit more otherwise what's the point? It would've been cheaper just to dub the original (or sub it depending on how brave FX are)
    Forum Member
    I think it was too close to the original, I'd like to see them change things a bit more otherwise what's the point? It would've been cheaper just to dub the original (or sub it depending on how brave FX are)

There were changes, and there will be more down the line. I have already read what Charlotte discovers behind that door she unlocked, and it has no counterpart in the Scandinavian show. In fact, in the original show the Charlotte character really served little purpose at all and eventually just disappeared from the story.

As for "what's the point" of doing remakes like this instead of showing the originals -- the point of all drama series in America is to make money, and there is no money to be made from showing non-English language TV shows in America.
    Forum Member
    There were changes, and there will be more down the line. I have already read what Charlotte discovers behind that door she unlocked, and it has no counterpart in the Scandinavian show. In fact, in the original show the Charlotte character really served little purpose at all and eventually just disappeared from the story.

As for "what's the point" of doing remakes like this instead of showing the originals -- the point of all drama series in America is to make money, and there is no money to be made from showing non-English language TV shows in America.

I only saw the first few episodes of the original (didn't have an hour to spare every week).

If there's no money to made from showing something in a "foreign language" (discounting English, even though it could technically be considered foreign), why make the series bilingual? Why not just set on a bridge between States or Counties and do it entirely in English?

And I know they aiming it at the Latino market, but why not grow a pair and air the original? How do they know nobody will watch if they don't try?
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...but why not grow a pair and air the original? How do they know nobody will watch if they don't try?

Foreign made progs that are required to be fully subtitled simply do not do very well in the States, generally. From what I've heard whilst working in production, the general consensus is that this is because the American market can't be bothered reading all the subs and so switch off, hence bad ratings therefore poor advertising revenue.

Even something a quarter to a half subbed is a much better prospect over there.
  • CaseyKleinCaseyKlein Posts: 3,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watching it now, diane kruger trying to copy the characteristics of the brilliant original actress is rather embarrassing tbh. not sure if i'll keep watching if theyre doing the exact same story, give it a couple of episodes to be sure.
  • mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before I invest time in this, how close is it to the original?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont know if its exactly the same but am recognising most parts of it. wonder if the use of subtitles for all the mexican scenes will put off the american viewers.
    would a bridge between the us and canada not have been better as the cultures are similar just like sweden and denmark?
    Forum Member
    CaseyKlein wrote: »
    watching it now, diane kruger trying to copy the characteristics of the brilliant original actress is rather embarrassing tbh.

That could not be further from the truth. Kruger's portrayal is nothing like the Swedish actress's. The Swedish actress was downright mechanical in her movements and speech patterns, and maintained a blank affect facially. In her body language and speech Kruger appears much more "normal," and it is just her behaviour that is indicative of her Asperger's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can people stop talking about the original series please or use Spoiler tags??

I haven't watched it and I know nobody has mentioned any spoilers but still...I don't want to know anything about it
    Forum Member
    ...something in a "foreign language" (discounting English, even though it could technically be considered foreign)...

Is that a joke, or your Asperger's showing through? English is not a foreign language in America. America grew out of British colonies.
    Forum Member
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    Can people stop talking about the original series please or use Spoiler tags??

I haven't watched it and I know nobody has mentioned any spoilers but still...I don't want to know anything about it

It is only natural that people are going to make comparisons to the original show. But I do understand your feelings about this. Maybe there should be two separate threads for this show and the thread title for the other one would make it clear that no talk about the original show is allowed -- just as there are separate threads for Game Of Thrones in the Cult forum, one for book readers and one for people who haven't read the books.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is only natural that people are going to make comparisons to the original show. But I do understand your feelings about this. Maybe there should be two separate threads for this show and the thread title for the other one would make it clear that no talk about the original show is allowed -- just as there are separate threads for Game Of Thrones in the Cult forum, one for book readers and one for people who haven't read the books.
    It is very annoying, but yes, understandable

Already on it...

Anyone who wants to discuss comparisons...

Feel free to use this thread please ! :D
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That could not be further from the truth. Kruger's portrayal is nothing like the Swedish actress's. The Swedish actress was downright mechanical in her movements and speech patterns, and maintained a blank affect facially. In her body language and speech Kruger appears much more "normal," and it is just her behaviour that is indicative of her Asperger's.

wrote the comment about 10 mins in, thought she was trying to copy her in the first few scenes but she is more talkative but you can see shes acting (badly?), i thought the other lassie had aspergers (....has she?) she was sooooo bloody good.
    hope this isnt too spoilery but had to reply in this thread instead of the new one ;)
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,051
    Forum Member
    Have Sky stopped Fox showing this in the UK ? as the press release put out in the US by FX said they will be showing with only a few days delay on Fox family channels in 122 countries.

I presume Sky don't want people watching this given their own version is due out later this year.