A question about the PS3

VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
This might sound like a stupid question but what is the difference between the various makes of PS3 with different sizes of hard drive??

Are there some PS3 games that can only played on the makes with a larger hard drive??

Comments

• blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    This might sound like a stupid question but what is the difference between the various makes of PS3 with different sizes of hard drive??

Are there some PS3 games that can only played on the makes with a larger hard drive??

As long as the HDD is big enough to install the game on you'll be fine. A bigger HDD means you can install more games, download more demos, place more music etc... onto it. That's all.

Someone please correct if I'm wrong.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    blitzben85 wrote: »
    As long as the HDD is big enough to install the game on you'll be fine. A bigger HDD means you can install more games, download more demos, place more music etc... onto it. That's all.

Someone please correct if I'm wrong.

So you place the disc in the console and then the game is installled on the HDD?? Can it then be uninstalled or is it on the HDD permanently??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member

Urm ok where do i start.... There is only one 'make' of ps3 SONY. There are differn't console shapes and sizes but they all kind of do the same thing and have the same firmware.

There are differnce's in the hard drives that come with the console and thery are replaceable.

For example the latest ps3 form is the ps3 'super slim' and comes, at it's cheapest with 12gb of flash memory.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation-additional-Dualshock-Controller/dp/B00BLWE2S2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1385050700&sr=8-4&keywords=ps3

Or you can have a larger hard drive to stor more on... ( i would reccomend this....)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation-500GB-Super-Console/dp/B009DL2TBA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385050700&sr=8-1&keywords=ps3

Ps3 is still a brilliant console as is the xbox 360 by Microsoft.

Hope this helps?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Urm ok where do i start.... There is only one 'make' of ps3 SONY. There are differn't console shapes and sizes but they all kind of do the same thing and have the same firmware.

There are differnce's in the hard drives that come with the console and thery are replaceable.

For example the latest ps3 form is the ps3 'super slim' and comes, at it's cheapest with 12gb of flash memory.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation-additional-Dualshock-Controller/dp/B00BLWE2S2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1385050700&sr=8-4&keywords=ps3

Or you can have a larger hard drive to stor more on... ( i would reccomend this....)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation-500GB-Super-Console/dp/B009DL2TBA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385050700&sr=8-1&keywords=ps3

Ps3 is still a brilliant console as is the xbox 360 by Microsoft.

Hope this helps?

Thanks... I did say it was a stupid question but then I'm not really much of a one for the technical side of things :D
    Forum Member
    Thanks... I did say it was a stupid question but then I'm not really much of a one for the technical side of things :D

No worries are you thinking of getting one for you or for someone as a gift?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No difference at all in terms of the fact that any PS3 can play any PS3 games.

The HDD is the size of the drive on board which allows you to store more music/videos/games ect

The main think to note is that the PS3 downloads the large game files to the HDD of the game it is playing so the smaller the drive the less room you will have / more time you will spend deleting data off the drive to make room for more games.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No worries are you thinking of getting one for you or for someone as a gift?

For myself, I know I'm a generation behind but that has happened before. I only got a PS2 at around the time the PS3 was first released
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you place the disc in the console and then the game is installled on the HDD?? Can it then be uninstalled or is it on the HDD permanently??

You put a game disc in the PS3 and it installs some data to the HDD, you can uninstall this whenever you like and it will be reinstalled the next time you put the game in. Game save files will remain on the system even after uninstalling a game (You can delete these separately if you want to).

Unless you are only going to play a couple of games you really want a PS3 with a HDD. While the 12GB model is cheap and adequate a model with a larger HDD is advisable.
    Forum Member
    For myself, I know I'm a generation behind but that has happened before. I only got a PS2 at around the time the PS3 was first released

Ps3 and Xbox 360 are both awesome and with a back catalogue of 1000's of brilliant games. I wouldn't say your far behind... just playing catchup.

One of my fav games of the last few years is RED DEAD REDEMPTION. 10/10 for me. Classic.. keep an eye out for it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ps3 and Xbox 360 are both awesome and with a back catalogue of 1000's of brilliant games. I wouldn't say your far behind... just playing catchup.

One of my fav games of the last few years is RED DEAD REDEMPTION. 10/10 for me. Classic.. keep an eye out for it!

Thanks, I remember playing Red Dead Revolver on the PS2
  • B-29B-29 Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first 60gb model had ps2 playback , the rest have not if I remember correctly.
  • Hairy_CaramelHairy_Caramel Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    The disappointing thing is that the Super Slim version is aesthetically atrocious and feels really cheap.

The Slim version was the best, but Sony just had to fiddle a little bit more.
  • Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The disappointing thing is that the Super Slim version is aesthetically atrocious and feels really cheap.

The Slim version was the best, but Sony just had to fiddle a little bit more.

i recently bought the ps3 super slim and was pleasantly surprised actually, i really like it. the smaller size is great and it is very quiet indeed, much quieter then the ps3 slim i had before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    i recently bought the ps3 super slim and was pleasantly surprised actually, i really like it. the smaller size is great and it is very quiet indeed, much quieter then the ps3 slim i had before.

Same here, and I agree. I really love it. Really reminds me of my original large PS2.

The PS3 is a real canny gamers bargain right now I think. So much amazing stuff available for pocket money prices.
    Forum Member
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Same here, and I agree. I really love it. Really reminds me of my original large PS2.

The PS3 is a real canny gamers bargain right now I think. So much amazing stuff available for pocket money prices.

No to mention ps plus. Soooo much bang for your buck. I know it's not essential for ps3 online like it is for ps4 but my god it so worth it.
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,156
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the PS3 will receive a price drop ahead of the PS4's release next week. Fancy getting one for christmas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nostlagic wrote: »
    I wonder if the PS3 will receive a price drop ahead of the PS4's release next week. Fancy getting one for christmas.

That's what got me thinking about buying one
    Forum Member

For what you get.... it's fantastic value already..!!

(but everyone like a price drop right! :D)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I was lucky and got one with two excellent games (Uncharted 3 and Gran Turismo for £200. That to me was a great deal, but there doesn't seem to be as many around right now. I can see a GTAV pack on Amazon, but at £230 they could do better. I agree a price drop would be just the ticket right now, just before Christmas.

Just bought the absolutely marvellous Rayman Legends for £17.99, and have Need For Speed: Most Wanted on the way for a tenner. The missus is getting me GTAV for Christmas. After many years of Wii gaming, the PS3 is quite a culture shock! I've missed out on so much, but I'm loving playing catch up. :)
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Depending on how many people trade in their PS3 for a PS4 or Xbox 1 you might see a drop in price on Pre-owned PS3 systems before Christmas. There might also be some store bundle deals as well.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »

I prefer my 500GB **super** slim over the *original* slim aswell ... & it comes with an SSD HDD so access times are quicker!! :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Depending on how many people trade in their PS3 for a PS4 or Xbox 1 you might see a drop in price on Pre-owned PS3 systems before Christmas. There might also be some store bundle deals as well.

The Game website is currently offering pre-owned 250GB PS3s for £150 and my local Game store is offering them for £120 and pre-owned 500GBs for about £140
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not forgetting its a cracking Blu-ray/ sd DVD player too, in fact I reckon its one of the best, picture quality wise. I won't be diving in for a PS4, I'm a bit disappointed it won't play PS3 games, that's what I've read anyway. I'm still using a 1st generation PS3, its massive size-wise, but never let me down yet.