[Game] The Twist Factor: Live Show #1

EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
Forum Member
✭✭
Ladies and gentlemen, it is my absolute pleasure to welcome you to the very first live show of The Twist Factor!

Over the past week, hard decisions have been made. First, I had to decide which four applicants I was going to put on the judging panel, which was not an easy task in the slightest. Then, these four poor souls also had to make difficult decisions as they had to axe five of their own acts in order to bring their categories down to three acts each. On top of that, they also had to decide which act they were going to give a lifeline, which can't possibly have been easy for them either.

Anyway, as I was saying, welcome to the first live show! Today, our phenomenal top sixteen will be singing songs with titles that include body parts. Expect to see a lot of titles with 'heart' or 'body' in them, but don't let this put you off as we're in for a great opening show. However, all good things must come to an end, especially for the FOUR unfortunate acts at the bottom of the scoreboard tonight. One of them will be eliminated outright, while I have a special surprise in store for the other three! Additionally, what good would the name The Twist Factor be if there wasn't a twist involved at some point during tonight's show?

Let's get started by introducing you to the four amazing judges and their teams first:
Judges, your intro tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ukU6pqD6Ak

Team Jess
Carolynne Poole
Jake Quickenden
Olly Murs
Tara Simon

Team Kevin
Aiden Grimshaw
Arin Ray
Beverly Savarin
Matt Defreitas

Team Toni
Cher Lloyd
Dinah Jane Hansen
Lakoda Rayne
Rebecca Ferguson

Team April
Girl V Boy
Little Mix
Lyric 145
Tasha Pyne

As I said, we'll start with sixteen acts, but at the end of the day we'll only be left with thirteen left standing!

Judges, are you here and ready to rumble?

Comments

• apriljaprilj Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Here. Looking forward to getting started!
  • EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry everyone, I may have slightly overestimated my ability to quickly write an opening post, missing the starting time by 5 minutes like that! :p
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also here!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it seems I wasn't the only not getting here on time though... :mad::p

Anyway, I have received some comments from Jess, and Toni mentioned that she might miss the first few minutes of the show, so let's get started.

First up, it's the first of the overs, and she's from Jess's team. Singing a pretty popular Demi Lovato song, what would be a better way to open the festivities today than hear Tara Simon sing Give Your Heart a Break?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1GO60SmANA
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tara Simon

This was an excellent start to the show Tara – given the theme I was unable to form a true replication of your performance of ‘’The Reason’’ which essentially is the type of route I would like to take you down. Nevertheless, you gave a smashing performance and I feel that it was worthy of a place next week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tara Simon: When I saw that you were singing a Demi Lovato song, I was understandably concerned as you're a total power-house whereas Demi has a much more commercial pop sound. I can totally see why Jess decided to choose this cover of the song for you, as there moments during the song which sounded a lot like you and I thought that the whole feel of the performance was really well suited to you. I loved that you didn't try and absolutely blow the roof off with your rendition of the song as some songs don't suit being screamed and your restraint was relatively refreshing. I really enjoyed that, I would like to see you singing something with a bit more of an edge in the next few weeks but for the first live show, I'll be incredibly surprised if you're anywhere near that bottom four. Well done Tara!
    Forum Member
    Tara Simon

Welcome to the live shows Tara! Firstly I'll say how much I think you have a strong voice, however, that can only take you so far. I was actually extremely disappointed in you tonight. I think you completely had the wrong choice of song and also the wrong arrangement too. Your voice is simply too big for the song, it didn't allow you to show the power, and you didn't have the right softer vocals needed in parts. All of this though is underlined by the fact that you have very little star quality. You're very karaoke in your style and I just don't think you should have been chosen for the live shows. There were plenty of better alternatives and it's a shame they weren't taken. But yeah, NOT impressed with this!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't really base the fact that you don't think much of the contestant as a drawback though as we're supposed to be basing this on how well it suits the artist, Frankie Cocozza for example is far from the best singer in the world but he has won shows in the past on the basis of the songs suiting him. I don't think 'you shouldn't have been chosen for live shows' is a particularly valid comment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mixed comments for Tara there, with especially April not holding anything back tonight, even though it's the first live show!

Toni can catch up once she gets here, but in the meantime one of her acts will have to take to the stage. Singing a true classic that everybody knows, it's Dinah Jane Hansen singing First Time Ever I Saw Your Face by Roberta Flack.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9jmusgMgro
    Forum Member
    unclekevo wrote: »
    You can't really base the fact that you don't think much of the contestant as a drawback though as we're supposed to be basing this on how well it suits the artist, Frankie Cocozza for example is far from the best singer in the world but he has won shows in the past on the basis of the songs suiting him. I don't think 'you shouldn't have been chosen for live shows' is a particularly valid comment.

Well I think it's perfectly valid, it's an observation I've made based on her performance. I didn't think she was up to standard of a live show, end of!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dinah Jane Hansen

This was nice. But that’s it. Just nice. There was no creativity with this song choice, it was dull, quite frankly. I hate that song, so the fact that it gave me notions of a cheesy yoghurt commercial from about ten years ago isn’t very good.
    Forum Member
    Dinah Jane Hansen

Oh Dinah, what a shambles! You know how much I love you and wanted you in my own category (hence why I selected you for the show), however it just wasn't there tonight. Your vocals did not work with the song in any way, both your tone and power. I think the choice was uninspiring and dull to be quite honest. I damn hope your voted through because you're so much better than this, and I want to see you redeem yourself and prove yourself. But tonight, this just wasn't good enough I'm afraid!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dinah Jane Hansen: You're one of the acts I'm less familiar with because I didn't watch X Factor USA that much this year and was only familiar with you as being a member of Fifth Harmony. However, I actually think that you're a really strong singer so I'm glad that your mentor chose you. This was a nice song choice, yeah you definitely did a good job with it, my only gripe is that I found it very dull, there was nothing interesting or unique about it. I'm sure any female with a relatively soul/R&B voice could tackle that song reasonably well, I just felt like your mentor didn't allow us to see you as a unique singer, it was an okay performance of a pretty dated song, that has been covered billions of times. My concern is whether people will remember this performance in an hour's time. If you get through, I'd like to see you singing something less predictable and perhaps a little more contemporary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mixed comments for Dinah tonight, has she done enough to convince the public to vote for her later?

Next up, it's the first of the boys and with that the first of Kev's acts. Ladies and gents, please welcome Aiden Grimshaw to the stage, where he'll be singing Bury Your Head by Mallory Knox!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ8j1o7fTRU
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aiden Grimshaw: Aiden, this was an absolutely amazing performance, if I do say so myself. I decided to go for something dark this week because this is what people identify you as, a really intense performer who sings dark, gritty indie songs and I thought we were best starting off where we hope to go on with. I thought it was a brilliant performance, I loved the layers to your voice in this song, you didn't just sing in a lower tone, you changed it up a little bit and sang in a slightly higher range also. I'm aware that if we give you this type of song every week, people will get bored so I have plenty of upbeat performances in mind for you but all the same, I think this is a great start to the competition, there are so many different ways I can take you in and I'm sure that this is only the first of many performances in this competition, I hope you get the votes as you deserve it.
    Forum Member
    Aiden Grimshaw

WOW! Now, that is the way to kickstart your Twist Factor journey! Other acts, please take notes because this is the way to do it! I thoroughly enjoyed the song and the performance in general. There's nothing really to critique because I think your mentor picked everything PERFECT, really! If you're not in next week, I will be utterly surprised and devastated! Amazing job!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aiden Grimshaw

I absolutely love this song choice, Aiden. There’s a vulnerability to the lyrics that I feel you are able to connect with excellently, my only criticism would be that the song didn’t really go anywhere, but the whole thing was very reminiscent of ‘’Breathe Me’’ from your own album; so I like that there are clear connections between this piece of music and your own work.
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,502
    Forum Member
    Good song choice for Aiden there
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant comments for Aiden this week, but does that mean he'll get the support of the public tonight?

It's time for the groups to shine now. April has had them before on one of my games and won, but will she repeat that feat here? There's only one way to find out, let's see how well LYRIC 145 perform Let Me Blow Ya Mind by Eve and Gwen Stefani!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xA8bVghIJ8 (until 1:17)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGPXeJcmgbw (from 0:12 until 1:16)
    Back to first video for 2:20 until 3:04
    Note: Lyric's chorus will be in a 'rappier' style than Gwen's singing, the boys will join her for stressing words in her 2nd rap section.
    Forum Member
    Lyric 145

LOVE this song, it used to be my JAM back in the day! :p It was extremely hard picking a song for you; I actually changed my choice a number of times throughout the week but settled on Let Me Blow Ya Mind. Can I just say, you were fantastic! It may not have been the theme that I wanted in the first show, but we've got such a good number of ideas ahead of us and I know you'll pull them off. Everybody vote for Lyric 145, you MUST be here next time!!!
  • MuSiKeMuSiKe Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tara Simon
    I was a little worried when I got a PM in my inbox saying you’d be singing Demi Lovato. It wasn’t until I actually listened to the link that I was provided I saw you weren’t singing a Demi Lovato song at all, you were singing a cover of a Demi Lovato song. I think Jess did a great job finding this version of the song, because it really suited your vocals.

Dinah Jane Hansen
    I didn’t know who you were before I was told you were in my category, and I’ll be honest with you and say I only put you through because the person you were vs sang like they had a cold. Because I was unfamiliar with you, I found it hard to find a song that really suited your voice, hence the slightly obvious song choice. You did well with it, though, so well done.

Aiden Grimshaw
    A fantastic performance from you there, Aiden. I absolutely loved the song choice! You’re one of my favourite acts to ever come from The X Factor, so I’m slightly jealous you’re on Kevin’s team! The song suited your voice perfectly and I think you’re the one to watch in this competition!

Lyric 145
    Your mind isn't a body part, so I personally think this breaks the rules of the theme. it was alright though, I could imagine you singing it in parts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LYRIC 145

This was okay. There wasn’t really any choices out there for you, I think – this theme had limits as it was, so being a unisex R&B/hip-hop group the only feasible song choice was Baby Got Back (I Like Big Butts and I Cannot Lie). However, your ‘mind’ is not a body part – so you’d probably have been safer choosing Baby Got Back. All together now, isn't this a rule breaker?
  • MuSiKeMuSiKe Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey all, btw. :D
  • I've Got ClassI've Got Class Posts: 12,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm here now also.

hai/
    Forum Member
    Okay, I admit mind isn't technically a body part but I'd rather break the rules with a song that suited them than give them some random song that conformed to the rules. Also, (at a real stretch) I went on the assumption that some people might consider mind to be another word for your collective head and brain? Not buying it, thought not? :D