ITVs plans on Saturday 23rd November

2»

Comments

• Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really annoys me when I read this sort of comment. Ting used to make the same observations when he was on here and I used to point out, you can't tie people and who they are to what sort of TV show they watch.

I like Doctor Who, I like X-factor as well(though not as much this Series) That does not make me a clever clogs for for watching Doctor Who or a moron for watching X-factor. I enjoy watching thought provoking documentaries as well as reality shows and fantasy shows such as Doctor Who and old 80's shows like Knight Rider and The A-Team.

You speak as if some people watch one or the other exclusively. Not true. People can watch all sorts of programs and shouldn't be labelled by what they watch.

As for ITV, I couldn't give two hoots what they are showing at the same time as Doctor Who. Just be thankful Doctor Who is on the BBC and not ITV anyway with their excessive advertising.

I have to say that, sometimes, your even-handed, pleasant posts stuck out like sunflowers on a dung heap on DS.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will2911 wrote: »
    Oh shut up. I was just saying this is what they're doing, no need for that kind of response

No need to tell another poster to "shut up" either. Particularly when s/he has responded wittily to your original post.
  • Will2911Will2911 Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    No need to tell another poster to "shut up" either. Particularly when s/he has responded wittily to your original post.

No need to tell me off for something I already apologised for.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only watched X Factor once. It seemed to be just an excuse to bully and humiliate people who had, I suppose, turned up in good faith to audition for the programme.

It made me feel angry and depressed and I never watched it again. Perhaps it has improved, but my opinion of viewers of the programme is that they don't have much of a moral compass if that's their idea of entertainment.

As for respecting other people's opinions and lifestyles - perhaps people who respect all opinions don't have the misfortune to meet racists and homophobes? There are high numbers of Asians where I live, and the amount of casual and thoughtless racism that gets spouted by the non-Asians is amazing. Am I going to keep quiet and respect that? Of course I'm not. I'll challenge it whenever I can.

As for Doctor Who - I watch it and love it, but most of my friends and relations think it is an abysmally bad kid's programme, and can't understand what I see in it at all. So for them it's my "guilty pleasure", not the acme of TV programmes!
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I think it's very hard to gauge. On one hand we know that Doctor Who is a big time shifter and theres no reason to think it will change for this episode, however, this is a special one off episode that has been heavily promoted and hyped and may therefore trend more towards the xmas special ratings. Plus having a lead in of around 11 million with a ten minute head start aint going to harm its chances.

What about people watching in cinemas? Will they count?
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jethryk wrote: »
    What about people watching in cinemas? Will they count?

No, viewing figures are determined by using statistically representative samples of people watching TV measured by BARB viewing boxes. Any BARB members watching at the cinema would therefore not count, unless of course they watched the show at home after (on the night before 2am I think would still count in overnight ratings, with others counting in the final ratings).

I would not expect the cinema viewings making much of an impact on the overnights, in any case, the level of demand has, I think been higher than initially expected, but it's likely still less than 200k nationwide.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really annoys me when I read this sort of comment. Ting used to make the same observations when he was on here and I used to point out, you can't tie people and who they are to what sort of TV show they watch.

I like Doctor Who, I like X-factor as well(though not as much this Series) That does not make me a clever clogs for for watching Doctor Who or a moron for watching X-factor. I enjoy watching thought provoking documentaries as well as reality shows and fantasy shows such as Doctor Who and old 80's shows like Knight Rider and The A-Team.

You speak as if some people watch one or the other exclusively. Not true. People can watch all sorts of programs and shouldn't be labelled by what they watch.

As for ITV, I couldn't give two hoots what they are showing at the same time as Doctor Who. Just be thankful Doctor Who is on the BBC and not ITV anyway with their excessive advertising.

Completely agree! :)
  • solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    I only watched X Factor once. It seemed to be just an excuse to bully and humiliate people who had, I suppose, turned up in good faith to audition for the programme.

It made me feel angry and depressed and I never watched it again.

You obviously watched one of the audition episodes that start each season. Yes, they are awful, and not worth bothering with.

You really need to watch a few of the proper live episodes, which start halfway through each season, to see how good The X-Factor can be at its best. It's tacky, camp, cheesy and fun, just like Doctor Who. I'm surprised more people don't like both series, since to me they're so similar!
    Forum Member
    I like Doctor Who, I like X-factor as well

Me too. (At least the live episodes, not the awful auditions.)

In fact, I'll probably be watching The X-Factor live on Saturday, and only catch up with Doctor Who on Sunday morning.
    Forum Member
    X Factor is shallow, cynical, chav TV.

Dr Who on the other hand, is the finest television programme in the entire history of humanity.

No.

The X-Factor is cheesy, camp, shallow entertainment.

Doctor Who is cheesy, camp, shallow entertainment.

There's very little difference between them, qualitywise,
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.

:eek:

Burn the heretic!!!!

:p

(Couldn't disagree more; I mean about 'Doctor Who', but fair do's for saying it on this forum.)
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    I have to say that, sometimes, your even-handed, pleasant posts stuck out like sunflowers on a dung heap on DS.

Thank You.

It made me feel angry and depressed and I never watched it again. Perhaps it has improved, but my opinion of viewers of the programme is that they don't have much of a moral compass if that's their idea of entertainment.

As for respecting other people's opinions and lifestyles - perhaps people who respect all opinions don't have the misfortune to meet racists and homophobes? There are high numbers of Asians where I live, and the amount of casual and thoughtless racism that gets spouted by the non-Asians is amazing. Am I going to keep quiet and respect that? Of course I'm not. I'll challenge it whenever I can.

As for Doctor Who - I watch it and love it, but most of my friends and relations think it is an abysmally bad kid's programme, and can't understand what I see in it at all. So for them it's my "guilty pleasure", not the acme of TV programmes!

I see where you're coming from with that Granny and I've met several of both sorts over the years. Racism and Homophobia are very serious real life issues but we're talking about The X-factor. Compare the fans of that programme to the two groups you describe and really....there is no comparison but people do seem to treat X-factor Fans in a certain way.

I accept the programme has a degree of bullying in it and over the top criticism. It sometimes goes beyond what should be constructive criticism to the far worse destructive sort, but on the other hand, people should know what they are letting themselves in for when they sign up to these things, like going in the Jungle, you know you're gonna likely end up eat kangaroo tackle or Dancing on Ice, you know you're likely to get injuries and bruises etc.

By the way, I'm not an X-factor Fan, I've watched it a lot over the years but I've missed a lot this series, mainly due to ITV's advertisement overload. Unfortunately I'm actually out Saturday night and will watch the 50th when I get back but if I had been home I would be watching Doctor Who alongside everyone else.

:)
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Doctor sees off his latest Monster called The Simon, the Simon had planned to take over the world by hijacking the airwaves and broadcasting material that will dumb down the human race.

Now in tradition with bad monsters the plan is to take over Christmas this time with robotic music.

Popular newspapers this weekend have already exposed the truth that the destiny is pre planned and human involvement is irrelevant.

The Simon had plans to take over the USA but there The a Voice has beaten him.

This year a tactic of a The Simon, called The Hype has failed, and humans have started to see The Simon for what he is, before, whenever they saw him, even if it was for two long hours they would instantly forget what they saw and just think they did nothing during that time.

Weapons used so far that've started to prove effective, an UK legend called Sir a Bruce of Elstree has had The Simon running, and ancient warriors from the lost city of Atlantis have battled him and had an effect.

The power has been so strong that the Memory wave gun fired at one or two of The Simons followers has made them forget what they were saying.

Final humiliation strikes next Saturday night when the Doctor strikes a fatal blow against The Simon.

This could bring Christmas back, true music back and the plan to turn all human minds to banal fodder stopped.

Three Doctors will win this final battle, the doctors have been around for fifty years now and will win the battle of a The Simon who has only been around for ten of those years.

When the doctor wins we might all appreciate, The Silence,

As silence will fall!
  • CoinCoin Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    This....is GENIUS!! :D

Do you mind if I totally steal this for Facebook, will be so much fun against my X-Factor loving friends :)
  • 16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't X Factors ratings been going down for a few years now? They're even getting their asses handed to them by Strictly. Doctor Who should have no problem wiping the floor with them.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you OP. Funny post :D. When will this dull overblown karaoke show just die? I love music but The XF has nothing to do with music. When I watch Gogglebox I am surprised that there are still people are still enthralled by it. I got bored with it 4 years ago.
    gboy wrote: »
    Two very different audiences.

Dr Who fans are generally cultured and intelligent people - so hardly likely to watch X-Factor.

Each to their own: it takes all sorts to make a universe (as Tom once said...).

There's no need to be stuffy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    No.

Doctor Who is an overwhelmingly existential out-of-body experience, laced with Jacobean understated pathos.

X Factor is just crap.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You obviously watched one of the audition episodes that start each season. Yes, they are awful, and not worth bothering with.

You really need to watch a few of the proper live episodes, which start halfway through each season, to see how good The X-Factor can be at its best. It's tacky, camp, cheesy and fun, just like Doctor Who. I'm surprised more people don't like both series, since to me they're so similar!

No, I really don't.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Doctor Who has no problem against that Cowell rubbish! Even Merlin this time last year did well against it! The X Factor is doomed.....I say DOOMED! Ha Ha Ha!!!!

*PS: I'll be tuning back over to what they are doing in that Jungle though! :D I love that!!:o
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On one side you have the 50th Anniversary of the world's longest running Sci-Fi show, with 70 odd million viewers worldwide, streaming out to over 100 countries next Saturday, invading British Cinemas, being accompanied by all sorts of TV specials, and generating more hype right now than a Royal Wedding. If you think about this, this Anniversary really is a World Wide event.

On the other you have... the X Factor. It still has its audience, and it's just so like them to try and have a "birthday" show, but I guess if you're up against an Anniversary on BBC1, you have to try something. I think ITV knows it will loose here, but in all honesty... who cares? I mean, we still get the Anniversary. If millions of people are idiotic enough to watch, fuel and pay for Simon Cowells feacle matter, what difference does it make to us?

Want to talk about the real insult? ONE DIRECTION ON THE LIVE AFTER SHOW ON BBC3. WHAT, IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE, HAVE 1D GOT TO DO WITH DOCTOR WHO?????????? SERIOUSLY... HOW MANY WHO FANS REALLY, ACTUALLY, WANT THESE GUYS APPEARING?

Argh, rant over.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anything, this thread has just shown how an awful lot of DW fans take themselves too seriously and come out with the most pretentious garbage I've read in a long time.

Or maybe I missed the sarcasm.
  • maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordo350 wrote: »
    Want to talk about the real insult? ONE DIRECTION ON THE LIVE AFTER SHOW ON BBC3. WHAT, IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE, HAVE 1D GOT TO DO WITH DOCTOR WHO?????????? SERIOUSLY... HOW MANY WHO FANS REALLY, ACTUALLY, WANT THESE GUYS APPEARING?

Argh, rant over.

Perhaps, just perhaps, they have been invited onto the show to fall into a Whoinverse trap in the battle against "The Simon".

So either the Daleks can EXTERMINATE them; the Cybermen can DELETE them; or the Weeping Angels can send them into the past, before their own births; etc.

We can dream. :D