Costs

I have had Tiscali/TalkTalk tv for quite a long time now and only really use it for Sky1 and a few other channels. Recently I have had a problem with my router and to cut a long story short TalkTalk are giving me a new router to correct the issue. An issue that they caused!!! They wanted to charge me for a new router that their hardware change at the exchange broke!

Anyway can someone tell me how much Tiscali 8Mb broadband, phone line rental, anytime calls and TV currently is? My last bills are in the transition between Tiscali and TalkTalk so dont know the normal charge.

I am looking to change ISP, so ideally need to know price and TalkTalk cant tell me due to 'system migration'

Comments

• parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My bill is a mess, it's supposed to be at half price but they reverted to full price after one month :( It also includes about £6 for Entertainment Extra and fees for 1571 etc. It's round about £43 per month.

Did you not recently sign up for a new contract? Clever you if you didn't ;)
  • ched999ukched999uk Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Cheers for that. My bill is all over the place as I am being moved from Tiscali to TalkTalk!!!!
    I think that after the issues I am having I will be cancelling the TV.
    TalkTalk just supplied a new router (nice D-Link with Wireless N) but if I plug the TalkTalk box in I cant use the internet!!!!

Me thinks they have sent the wrong router even though I told them soo many times I had TalkTalk TV.

Oh well I guess another 2 hrs on the phone tomorrow. Explaining that I have TalkTalk TV and the router the sent me doesn't seem to work with it. You never know maybe I will speak to someone who doesn't just read a script. They may be able to reconfigure or supply a new Firmware. Fingers crossed.

Thanks very much for your reply.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had my STB replaced (fan became too loud) and the engineer had to change the router because the existing wouldn't work with the new box :confused: Existing was Netgear, replacement was Thomson D8A13D.

Last August when we Tiscali customers were "invited" to sign up for an 18-month contract on being migrated to TalkTalk's "better" system it was actually just a price hike, there were no benefits. They offered 3 months at half price but I negotiated (as did some others) 6 months - however my bills show that that lasted only one month, so now I've been promised refunds.

(I had stopped receiving email notifications of the bill being ready to view - conspiracy or cock-up?)

parthena
  • billingebillinge Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    I've just received my latest bill via email and done a cost comparison between TalkTalk, BT, Virgin and Sky.

To get the nearest equivalent package as I have with TalkTalk; (TV inc. Entertainment Extra and a recording box, BB, Phone inc. Line Rental and evening and weekend calls) and including Line Rental into all my calculations, I get the following;

TalkTalk = £33.73 (HD still on hold while they try to rectify sound issues)
    Sky+ = £47.20 (HD would be £10.25 more per month)
    Virgin V+ = £50.39 (with HD capability)
    BT Vision = £53.20 (No live HD available, download only)

This is all calculated without any introductory offers or discounts.

I'd get more channels with Sky but not many more with Virgin on the M+ pack. BT and Virgin offer more On Demand.

So even though TalkTalk TV is lagging behind the others in various ways, it remains the most cost effective solution for me. I've been with TalkTalk since the Tiscali days (2007) and am disappointed the service has not expanded further.

By the way, I also have a Humax Freesat HD box connected to my broadband, so can get BBC iPlayer and ITV Player (on Beta), and HD channels from the BBC, ITV.

I thought the cost comparison above might be useful to some.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, a big "thank you", Billinge, the comparison is useful - I'd never get my head around doing it for myself :p It is reassuring, especially as I don't use the TV much - I'm looking forward to "developments", though... waiting... waiting...

I know we get fewer channels than from other suppliers but I only watch about a quarter of the Freeview ones.

TT messed up my 6-months half-price offer, I see I have a big refund this month *phew*.
  • billingebillinge Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    Things have been a bit screwy the past few months with TalkTalk, with them switching all the Tiscali accounts over to the TalkTalk billing system. I've had a go at them for not issuing me with statement notifications yet still charging. If I can't get access to my bill, how can I check it is correct.
    It all appears sorted now, although I'm not so keen on the new electronic statement format.

I'm glad you got your refund, I've had my own billing problems with Tiscali in the past, like they said my bank refused payment and they were going to shut my phone/BB and TV down. Turned out they never even applied for the Direct Debit, but I still had to set up a new one. That took a long time to sort out, but they did give me back some money as a 'gesture of goodwill', without admitting liability of course.

My big argument with them at the moment and for the past 14+ months is the sound issue when using an HDMI cable. They've still not issued a statement admitting there is a problem, nor stated how they are planning to resolve it. Apparently it only affects a minority of customers, so I'm not important! Even their technicians haven't been fully informed.

However, Pound for Pound, TalkTalk still offer the best package for me, so I'll be sticking with them for now, despite my grumbles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    billinge wrote: »
    I've had a go at them for not issuing me with statement notifications yet still charging.

So did I, on the phone when I complained about the over-charging. This month I've got the notification and the refund - it was a guy from Cancellations that I spoke to, he was as good as his word... for a change ;) (I had to get the 6-months half-price offer thru Cancellations, and had to go back to them to get the probs sorted.)

However, I can't see individual call costs in the itemised bill :confused:
    My big argument with them at the moment and for the past 14+ months is the sound issue when using an HDMI cable.

I did try using HDMI and did not have a sound problem - however, I changed it back to SCART because of too many gadgets needing the HDMI sockets in my TV. If it's any comfort, the PQ with SCART is excellent, no different IMO - but if you need the HDMI for an enviable (by me) audio system, that won't help.
  • ched999ukched999uk Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Cheers for the replies. Now I have access to my bills again I can see the costs and it does as others have said offer the best value package. It has taken me a while to get the tv back up and running as they sent wrong router :( Stupid techs sent router that wont work with TV despite me making sure they understood that I needed a router that would work with the TV!!!!

Just 1 problem now. That is if I watch a channel that comes over broadband my network goes down!!!!! It is only effecting 1 wireless access point but is very annoying, especially when the stupid Tiscali+ box decides it will not use the aerial for some channels. Its strange as I have an old freeview+ box connected via the Tiscali+ box and that gets a perfect aerial signal...

Cant face customer service after all the previous phone calls. I may email but probably just give it a couple of weeks....

Cheers
  • seanfitzyseanfitzy Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    billinge wrote: »
    I've just received my latest bill via email and done a cost comparison between TalkTalk, BT, Virgin and Sky.

To get the nearest equivalent package as I have with TalkTalk; (TV inc. Entertainment Extra and a recording box, BB, Phone inc. Line Rental and evening and weekend calls) and including Line Rental into all my calculations, I get the following;

TalkTalk = £33.73 (HD still on hold while they try to rectify sound issues)
    Sky+ = £47.20 (HD would be £10.25 more per month)
    Virgin V+ = £50.39 (with HD capability)
    BT Vision = £53.20 (No live HD available, download only)

This is all calculated without any introductory offers or discounts.

I'd get more channels with Sky but not many more with Virgin on the M+ pack. BT and Virgin offer more On Demand.

So even though TalkTalk TV is lagging behind the others in various ways, it remains the most cost effective solution for me. I've been with TalkTalk since the Tiscali days (2007) and am disappointed the service has not expanded further.

By the way, I also have a Humax Freesat HD box connected to my broadband, so can get BBC iPlayer and ITV Player (on Beta), and HD channels from the BBC, ITV.

I thought the cost comparison above might be useful to some.

virgin with v+ box (recordinng and HD activated) price is wrong,after the discounted price standard price for M+tv Lphone (evening and weekend calls) and L internet is £41.99.this includes line rental and the £5 charge for v+
    oh and reason i was on this thread lol is can new customers still get the old tiscalli tv service? i know its talktalk now but they dont mention tv?? my sister is not in cabled area and she is not keen on sky
    thanks in advance for replies :)
  • kriss57kriss57 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    parthena wrote: »
    Yes, a big "thank you", Billinge, the comparison is useful - I'd never get my head around doing it for myself :p It is reassuring, especially as I don't use the TV much - I'm looking forward to "developments", though... waiting... waiting...

I know we get fewer channels than from other suppliers but I only watch about a quarter of the Freeview ones.

TT messed up my 6-months half-price offer, I see I have a big refund this month *phew*.

Hi Parthena,

Yes they messed up my 6 month half price in October as well, lucky I actually spoke to the original person, (I always write everything down especially names), I then accepted a £95 credit, which has kept going all this time.:D

P.S. Don't forget to get any numbers (billing especially) from saynoto0870.com, infact you get almost every number you will ever need anywhere. :)