Prometheus - Ridley Scotts Alien Prequel

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shining666 wrote: »
    Am I the only person not looking forward to this? Ridley Scott hasn't made a decent movie in quite some time.

exactly. Ridley Scott ain't made anything forever. Alien was
    grade A. James Cameron did Aliens and then went on to push out shit. I don't think Ridley Scott will do that. Alien and Blade Runner are in my top 10 and so is Black Hawk. He Is up there with John Carpenter If anybody can do an Alien movie Ridley Scott can. I seriously believe in him.
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    shining666 wrote: »
    Am I the only person not looking forward to this? Ridley Scott hasn't made a decent movie in quite some time.

I believe that you're on your own there. :)
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my eyes the last great Ridley Scott film was American Gangster from years back. What's his current crop been since then? Pretty piss poor in my opinion. Prometheus is likely to be his great big comeback.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J6ngo1977 wrote: »
    grade A. James Cameron did Aliens and then went on to push out shit. I don't think Ridley Scott will do that. Alien and Blade Runner are in my top 10 and so is Black Hawk. He Is up there with John Carpenter If anybody can do an Alien movie Ridley Scott can. I seriously believe in him.

American Gangster was good and Body of Lies was OK but Robin Hood (with Russell bloody Crowe) was an entirely unnecessary remake.

That's the last 3 films he's directed, by the way. Not hugely prolific of late as a director (but still a very busy producer - IMDB lists about a dozen current projects in the pipeline!)

The trailer looks exciting but of course trailers always do. Mind you, the production design looks about right. Scott has always been praised for the look and feel of movies like Alien and Blade Runner; Prometheus looks equally dark and claustrophobic and full of shadows (from what I've seen in the trailer at least) so I'm hoping it will be a worthy addition to the Alien universe.
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmm - getting slightly worried that this is shaping up to be yet another Event Horizon type story - scientific group find alien artifact and go mad/get possessed and kill each other.

Hopefully Ridley can pull it off.
  • TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The May edition of Empire Magazine has a 12-page feature on Prometheus and a 4-page interview with Ridley Scott.

It all sounds totally amazing - I just hope it doesn't disappoint.:cool:
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tremse wrote: »
    The May edition of Empire Magazine has a 12-page feature on Prometheus and a 4-page interview with Ridley Scott.

It all sounds totally amazing - I just hope it doesn't disappoint.:cool:

The only slightly worrying thing about the Empire interview with Ridley is a bit where he's considering whether the film should be edited to get a PG-13 or R rating (in the US, presumably). He seems to be falling on the side of not wanting to make any cuts to tone down the horror / violence so let's hope he sticks to this and doesn't have to water anything down for a teen audience.
  • GothamGotham Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's some controversy over the rating that the film is getting, which is set to be PG13. From looking at the trailers, it doesn't look like a PG13 at all to me. There seems to be a lot of body horror going on and to me that should automatically scream R.
  • ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotham wrote: »
    There's some controversy over the rating that the film is getting, which is set to be PG13. From looking at the trailers, it doesn't look like a PG13 at all to me. There seems to be a lot of body horror going on and to me that should automatically scream R.

I don't think they have anything to lose making this an "R" film, the majority of interest in this film will be from people who have seen Alien/Aliens. I'll be gutted if it's a watered down PG13.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they have anything to lose making this an "R" film, the majority of interest in this film will be from people who have seen Alien/Aliens. I'll be gutted if it's a watered down PG13.

More recent big budget R films are struggling in the BO unfortunately (Dragon Tattoo being one). Fox may want to maximise their earnings but Scott has recently said that he's very happy with the cut of the film so I don't know.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why have R rated films struggled so much the last few years ?

it never seemed to matter in the 80's and 90's , plenty of R rated blockbusters back then .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why have R rated films struggled so much the last few years ?

it never seemed to matter in the 80's and 90's , plenty of R rated blockbusters back then .

It depends on what you mean by struggle, if you mean financially, it's because kids aren't going to get into R movies.

The reason the likes of Twilight and some fantasy/superhero franchises do so well financially is because you have an army of kids and teenagers going to see these films arguably more than once.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on what you mean by struggle, if you mean financially, it's because kids aren't going to get into R movies.

The reason the likes of Twilight and some fantasy/superhero franchises do so well financially is because you have an army of kids and teenagers going to see these films arguably more than once.

yeah they can , as long as they're accompanied by an adult I believe .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah they can , as long as they're accompanied by an adult I believe .

Depending on the country, kids are going to have a hard time of it persuading an adult to bring them to an r rated movie. Over here, it might not be a problem. Different craic altogether in the US.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depending on the country, kids are going to have a hard time of it persuading an adult to bring them to an r rated movie. Over here, it might not be a problem. Different craic altogether in the US.

we don't have R rated movies here .

in america the rating system is basically the same as it was in the 80's and 90's , and yet back then studios were happy to make R rated blockbusters and they did very well , but this seems to have changed for some reason in the last 10 years .
  • mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »

That viral vid is just awesome, it's proper creepy. A human pretending to be a robot pretending to be a human. Asimov would have loved it. :D
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »

That is a fantastic viral video, i love it! Just brilliant!

Michael Fassbender is a god! Well an android robot in the movie, but still a god! :D
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that viral video is great, has a somewhat 70s scifi vibe, very cool
  • mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    hmm - getting slightly worried that this is shaping up to be yet another Event Horizon type story - scientific group find alien artifact and go mad/get possessed and kill each other.

Hopefully Ridley can pull it off.

The creepy-looking humanoid in alien clothing, plus whatever the space-jockey actually is, suggests an actual antagonist. I'll be disappointed in a 'crew gone mad' plot too if I'm honest. It looks pretty amazing though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I think regardless of the US rating, this will be a 15 over here. I'd be very, very surprised if it got a 12A rating even if it's a PG-13 in the US, since the BBFC seem to be quite harsh on films containing scenes of horror. Just from looking at the trailers i'd say that this will probably contain "sustained horror". I know a "hard" 15 or an 18 (i.e. an R rating) would be preferable from an Alien fan perspective, but a "soft" 15 rating will at least keep some of the younger kids out.

Ridley Scott has gone on record saying that the version submitted to the MPAA is his version and that it will get whatever rating it gets, hopefully Fox don't decide to get snip happy if it gets an R. I doubt that much of the likely audience for this film would be under 17 anyway.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it does get marked down/cut then I hope he releases a directors cut version on bluray without any cuts and marked up accordingly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    J6ngo1977 wrote: »

actually,cameron went on to push out the abyss,my all time favourite film,which i reckon is better than any of the alien films(though they are great,even 3)
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picturehouse cinemas have put tickets on sale, showings starting on June 1st as listing it's UK rating as 15.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything less than a 15 and i'll be disappointed. Fed up of seeing films watered down for the bloody kids.