The result - explained

Alex_McNameeAlex_McNamee Posts: 656
Forum Member
✭✭
It's definitely the most varied final, though the result was a little perplexing. I can see why it happened though. (Will be a long read!)

I can see why Stevie got through - he's been the favourite to win since day one! Emmanuel, I think, is the dark horse. Lots of people like him, though no one assumes he'll succeed in the competition. Lucy is amazing, people only dislike her because she does opera, which is totally wrong. I loved her performance and am glad she's in the final. Regional voting works - Ireland would've voted for her along with the classical community. Sasha was a weird one. No one really expected anything from Sasha, and then BAM. She's in the final. She has slowly grown, though there's a certain tone to her voice that I don't like. Her performance tonight was widely acclaimed though

As for the ones who didn't get through, I can mostly see why. MOR Joe was never destined to be a finalist - I'm pleased he's out. He had nothing remotely notable about him Vikesh, whilst popular with a certain community, was mostly taken as an X Factor type joke act. After his performance of "It's A Man's, Man's, Man's World", he made some terrible song choices, leading to his departure. Sheena was great, though really cocked up with that awful song choice. I don't think people warmed to her as a person either - she miked the car accident story quite a lot, and seemed a bit insincere when meeting Usher. Karis I'm disappointed about. She's always been amazing. I think she just didn't garner enough support, and was probably fifth in the voting, very close to being in the top four.

I, myself, thought it was quite a good result. Disappointed about Karis though.

Comments

• SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would have preferred Karis instead of Emmanuel.

His voice is all over the place and those compulsory high notes at the end are now beyond tiresome.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,623
    Forum Member
    Stevie and Emmanuel were always going to be in the final. I'm almost convinced they were the top 2 with the public vote.

I thought Sheena was more likely to be in the final over both Vikesh and Lucy. As mentioned above, Vikesh was moulded into this bizarre novelty act and he was so stiff during the group performance of That's The Way I Like It. Lucy might well be my favourite but I have a gut feeling she was 4th in the voting.

I think Sasha getting to the final may well prove that she could be a surprise winner if Tom Jones chooses songs that really showcase her voice. She sounded excellent singing River Deep, Mountain High - the type of song that the general public would enjoy.
  • Alex_McNameeAlex_McNamee Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    Stevie and Emmanuel were always going to be in the final. I'm almost convinced they were the top 2 with the public vote.

I thought Sheena was more likely to be in the final over both Vikesh and Lucy. As mentioned above, Vikesh was moulded into this bizarre novelty act and he was so stiff during the group performance of That's The Way I Like It. Lucy might well be my favourite but I have a gut feeling she was 4th in the voting.

I think Sasha getting to the final may well prove that she could be a surprise winner if Tom Jones chooses songs that really showcase her voice. She sounded excellent singing River Deep, Mountain High - the type of song that the general public would enjoy.

Lucy's my favourite and has been since day one. Though I share your fear. I think Ireland may have voted for her along with the classical community, though won't appeal to the mass market unfortunately. There's always a surprise winner. Stevie has a 50/50 chance of winning IMO - he's good, but won't go along with the normal "dark horse" winner. Sasha could win, but if they play their cards right, so could any of them.
  • drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sheena really should be in the final. Yes, she did oversing at times, but she had presence and a bit of personality in her performances. I don't really care if she came across as roo confident, insincere etc. I could actually see her making a career our of being a singer on club tracks that need a big vocal.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucy is amazing, people only dislike her because she does opera, which is totally wrong. I loved her performance and am glad she's in the final. Regional voting works - Ireland would've voted for her along with the classical community.

Why on earth have you come to that conclusion? People in Ireland have varied tastes the same as the people of GB. If it's the ROI you're talking about, I don't think they are even allowed to vote!
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drakhen wrote: »
    Sheena really should be in the final. Yes, she did oversing at times, but she had presence and a bit of personality in her performances. I don't really care if she came across as roo confident, insincere etc. I could actually see her making a career our of being a singer on club tracks that need a big vocal.

Sadly another female screamer bites the dust on the voice. Though she held it in a bit this week. Pretty females don't do well on the voice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I would have preferred Karis instead of Emmanuel.

His voice is all over the place and those compulsory high notes at the end are now beyond tiresome.

I would have preferred her instead of Sacha, who to me was nothing special and may not have got so many votes if she hadn't had Tom Jones all to herself to showcase her performance.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »

Fully agree with all of this - instead of Lucy, I thought Sheena or Karis might have gone through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly another female screamer bites the dust on the voice. Though she held it in a bit this week. Pretty females don't do well on the voice.

The opera singer is just as good looking as Sheena and so was Sacha until they ruined her hair.
  • *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,129
    Forum Member
    Stevie and Emmanuel were always going to go through. Although Emmanuel's song choice was poor tonight he does seem to have a huge following. I checked his audition on Youtube and it's gone over 1 million. Lucy wasn't too much of a surprise as opera singers have done very well on other talent shows. The surprise for me was Sasha. I must admit I didn't like her audition or the knockouts but, last week she gave the performance of the series (imho). I voted for her tonight because I thought she did well in her duet with Tom.

In short I do think the right four got through. I did feel sorry for Rita because I love her as a judge but, sadly her choices just didn't stand out as anything special.
  • Alex_McNameeAlex_McNamee Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sylvia wrote: »
    Why on earth have you come to that conclusion? People in Ireland have varied tastes the same as the people of GB. If it's the ROI you're talking about, I don't think they are even allowed to vote!

She's from Ireland, I think you'll find. Northern Ireland are aloud to vote. Maybe ROI aren't, though I also stated that classical fans would vote for her - a larger portion than you'd realise. I never exclusively said that Irish people like opera. I said they'd vote because of nationality. Maybe you'd misunderstood, or maybe you were being too ignorant to understand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately Sheena/her PR team did milk the crash survivor story a bit much which I agree didn't help along with the fact that she went with the wrong song for the show (not just the semis), it was far too disco and the production didn't particularly help either. Having said all that I still feel her voice should have been enough to get her through.

Lucy without a doubt deserves her place and those hating on her for the opera are just annoying - you know what they say though haters are going to hate. Vikesh had that brilliant knock-out performance which put him in contention with everyone else and then fell victim to Will's OTT stage production and choosing pretty average songs which weren't right for him.

Joe never really stood a chance, he was the bland, good looking, teen pop star, may well have done better on X-factor really. Yes he has a pretty good voice but nothing exciting or different really. Karis suffered from being just a little unfortunate , not giving her best performance ever on her solo but did harmonise incredibly with Rita and didn't do badly at all in the group performance.

Emmanuel is really good but he sounded off to me tonight, it was far from his best performance and I think he did get lucky to an extent to get through when he was so off. Stevie's performance was ok but I could barely hear the bagpipes for one and also despite everything I still just wanted to hear Leona Lewis singing the song and when I was expecting high notes not getting them. Why is he popular? I really don't know, I just don't get it, sure he's a nice guy and he has a half decent voice but he's nothing special, nothing really separates him from any other generic pop male type voice.

Finally I come onto Sasha, I have made it very clear how I feel about her getting this far so will leave that aside for this. One of the stand out performances of the night along with Lucy and Sheena as far as I am concerned, this girl has come a long way since her XO/Royals mash-up. For me I want to hear more melody in her voice, she's got the tone and has some how managed to control her emotions (far beyond what I expected her to be able to) and now her voice needs the melody that she clearly is capable of to make her an incredible singer and someone who I would consider listening to if she did the right genre.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Did you notice the two more attractive females did not get through
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sylvia wrote: »
    The opera singer is just as good looking as Sheena and so was Sacha until they ruined her hair.

Sorry I would hugely disagree
  • Bails HolyGrailBails HolyGrail Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Stevie and Emmanuel the 2 most popular acts before last night's programme according to the polls,Lucy with the "hidden" classical singer/older viewer vote,and Sasha given an enormous amount of help from the producers (styling,staging,late running order and huge praise from the coaches) .....that would be my explanation.