Options

Heavy menstrual period or early miscarriage?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
Forum Member
Hi, this might seem like a stupid question, but from yesterday I have been bleeding very heavily (changing my pad every 1-2 hours) with some clots and very sore cramps.
This is very different for me, usually my periods are light with little or no pain, my OH suggested that maybe I was pregnant and didn't know?
I was also a week late, do I need to ring the doctor or just let nature do its thing??
THanks for your replies, has anyone had this experience? Also, I hope I didn't gross anyone out!! :o:o

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'd ring the Doctor to check really. How regular are you normally?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Usually 28-30 days, so am usually regular. I didn't do a pregnancy test so I don't know if I even was pregnant to start with. I'll see how it is in the morning, unfortunately am in work at 6am, but will phone the doctor if its no easier or if I'm still in pain. Thanks for your reply!
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be absolutely fair, and without trying to be offensive, I think it's shocking you'd post this on Digital Spy.

Without any shadow of a doubt, you should consult a doctor immediately in my opinion.

You should not really ask for medical opinions of this nature on here :cool: It should be rather obvious to seek urgent professional help rather than asking a load of nutters on the net, with something which easily could be fine - but there's always a chance it could be serious.

:)
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's something massive like 40% of pregnancies result in miscarriage, many of them being so early that it is put down to a heavy period.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do.

Your GP will just tell you to take it easy and to do a pregnancy test in a few weeks, or to refer back to him if your period hasn't stopped in the normal time frame.

Just let nature do it's thing and unless you have any pregnancy symptoms in the next few weeks just treat it as a late period.

It might be worth making a mental note of the exact dates in case you have any fertility problems in the future, as all information can help with early diagnosis.

Wishing you well.
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    To be absolutely fair, and without trying to be offensive, I think it's shocking you'd post this on Digital Spy.

Without any shadow of a doubt, you should consult a doctor immediately in my opinion.

You should not really ask for medical opinions of this nature on here :cool: It should be rather obvious to seek urgent professional help rather than asking a load of nutters on the net, with something which easily could be fine - but there's always a chance it could be serious.

What? :eek:.....if women ran to their GP every time they had a heavy period the GP's would never have time to see anyone else.

Its only with the development of early pregnancy testng kits that someone even knows they are pregnant and have miscarried, not that long ago doctors wouldnt even test until the second period hadnt appears (6 weeks pregnant). If a period happened in the meantime, even though late, you just werent pregnant...it was as simple as that.

In the OP's shoes I wouldnt go to the doctors I would wait to see if the cycle repeated, unless the OP is particularly anxious or developed any other unusual symptoms. There is very little they can do if it is a miscarriage and are they likely to send the OP off for a barrage of medical tests on the basis of one late, heavy period.

Does anyone know of the OP did a test now, whether there would still be pregnancy hormones kicking about?
  • Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    Taglet wrote: »
    What? :eek:.....if women ran to their GP every time they had a heavy period the GP's would never have time to see anyone else.

Its only with the development of early pregnancy testng kits that someone even knows they are pregnant and have miscarried, not that long ago doctors wouldnt even test until the second period hadnt appears (6 weeks pregnant). If a period happened in the meantime, even though late, you just werent pregnant...it was as simple as that.

In the OP's shoes I wouldnt go to the doctors I would wait to see if the cycle repeated, unless the OP is particularly anxious or developed any other unusual symptoms. There is very little they can do if it is a miscarriage and are they likely to send the OP off for a barrage of medical tests on the basis of one late, heavy period.

Does anyone know of the OP did a test now, whether there would still be pregnancy hormones kicking about?

if she had asked for advice on prescription medication he would have tripped over himself to give lenghty advice

OP to be sure go and see your GP :)
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As far as I am aware there would, I believe that this is why the doctor will tell you to delay doing a test for a couple of weeks. :)
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I am aware there would, I believe that this is why the doctor will tell you to delay doing a test for a couple of weeks. :)

I had a chemical pregnancy a few months back and when I tested the afternoon I started bleeding it did not pick anything up. However HcG levels can vary depending on date of implantation and your own natural body chemistry so if they were lower than avergae whilst pregnant then they could disappear a lot quicker than expected.

OP - I wouldn't torture yourself about this, I regret finding out so early as I wouldn't have thought a thing of it being a few days late. It would be extremely unlikely to be able to confirm it one way or another.

My advice would be to contact your doctor only if your period lasts longer than normal or if you have any major pain that isn't normal period pains.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Could well be a chemical pregnancy. I had one of these a few months ago:cry:
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't any advice to offer, I think if it was me I'd just let nature take its course. I think pregnancy tests these days are actually a bad thing in terms of how early they can detect a pregnancy. In the good old days, it took a couple of months, by which time the pregnancy was pretty well established and had a reasonable chance of going to term. When you can "diagnose" a pregnancy just after you've missed a period, it's a dead cert that a LOT of the pregnancies diagnosed will come to nothing, and a lot of women and their partners will be disappointed, and embarrassed if they've already told all their friends. Sometimes it's better to hold onto a secret and just wait for the other signs - and to my mind, more exciting as well.
  • Options
    fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loulou,

Do you know if you have Rhesus Negative blood?

Women with Rh Neg need to have an injection after a miscarriage - although there must be many many who haven't (we don't all do a pregnancy test when we're a bit late do we?)

If you are or may be Rh Neg then I would definitely ask to talk to a doctor on the phone this morning and see what they think.

(And FWIW I think this sort of question is just what the advice forum is for - a late and or heavy period is not an emergency and is something that other women can offer advice about.)
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that's a bit harsh :eek:

OP - hope you are feeling OK but I would (personaally) at least call NHS direct and see what they recommend? As Hypnodisc so eloquently put it taking medical advice from a bunch of nutters online is not the same as speaking to someone medical :eek: :D

Seriously though, you should be fine. S-I-L had a miscarriage recently (she was only 6 weeks gone) and although they went to A&E she was sent home and advised to let 'nature take it's course'

Good luck!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

OP - hope you are feeling OK but I would (personaally) at least call NHS direct and see what they recommend? As Hypnodisc so eloquently put it taking medical advice from a bunch of nutters online is not the same as speaking to someone medical :eek: :D

Seriously though, you should be fine. S-I-L had a miscarriage recently (she was only 6 weeks gone) and although they went to A&E she was sent home and advised to let 'nature take it's course'

Good luck!

As was I but after a day and night of sheer pain went back and it turned out it was an ectopic pregnancy!

OP - I would suggest as Rainbowgirl has and call the NHS direct for advice.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Loulou,

It's not a stupid question at all, and I'd hope that DS can offer help or support to any of its participants.

Your experience sounds very similar to one I had years ago, which turned out to be a very early m/c. Take things a bit easy if you can for the next 24 hrs whilst your body adjusts, - I wouldn't rush to the doctor, but, as has been suggested, make a note of the period's duration/dates/heaviness, for future reference.

Also, I'm not sure if you're planning or hoping to get pregnant, but for me, I've found that it's noticeably easier to fall pregnant again immediately after a m/c: it's as though your body is primed and ready, and just kicks back into the process, so watch out next month if that's not in your plans.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    I had a chemical pregnancy a few months back and when I tested the afternoon I started bleeding it did not pick anything up. However HcG levels can vary depending on date of implantation and your own natural body chemistry so if they were lower than avergae whilst pregnant then they could disappear a lot quicker than expected.

OP - I wouldn't torture yourself about this, I regret finding out so early as I wouldn't have thought a thing of it being a few days late. It would be extremely unlikely to be able to confirm it one way or another.

My advice would be to contact your doctor only if your period lasts longer than normal or if you have any major pain that isn't normal period pains.

I agree with Ber. The first M/C I had was just under 6 weeks... My GP at the time said it was 50/50 in the early days of pregnancy, and alot of women go through a M/C just assuming its a late period.

I was sent home to rest and take pain killers! With my most recent M/C I was told to take a PG test 2 weeks after to check the HCG levels had gone.

Hope you are OK OP.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good luck!

The OP was asking outright if she was having a miscarriage or whether it was a heavy period.

If you want to ask such a question, it shouldn't be to someone you've never met before who isn't qualified to make any sort of judgment.

Especially when it comes to the importance of lady-bits..

Asking about a tooth-ache on here is one thing, but asking if you are having a miscarriage?

Just IMO :cool:
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP was asking outright if she was having a miscarriage or whether it was a heavy period.

If you want to ask such a question, it shouldn't be to someone you've never met before who isn't qualified to make any sort of judgment.

Especially when it comes to the importance of lady-bits..

Asking about a tooth-ache on here is one thing, but asking if you are having a miscarriage?

Just IMO :cool:

I suspect there are many posters on this forum with 'lady-bits' who have been in a similar position to the OP and most have said pretty much the same thing and have reassured the OP.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm Hypnodisc is quite happy to shell out mental health advice despite not being a doctor. Sounds like he didn't have enough knowledge of ladybits to know that a miscarriage that early is not a medical emergency...
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey OP I hope that you are okay at the moment and that you have been to your GP.

If you were pregnant and it was not, sadly to be, then your body will miscarry naturally. I suffer with recurrent miscarriage for unknown reasons that I am hoping will be resolved soon. I had no idea that I had this problem but assumed it was just very painful periods until I did know I was pregnant after IVF and miscarried again. This happened five times so I now know what the pain is and for my GP to check.

Do take it easy though, I am very exhausted and emotionally rung out when it has happened to me so if you're not well tomorrow, stay at home and rest up. But yes, do go to your at GP.

I understand why Hypnodisc urged you to go to your GP but in the wee small hours I can utterly appreciate that someone out there to reassure you or chat to is a welcome and reassuring comfort so I hope that frankly aggressive response to you post hasn't put you off DS.

Take care x