Christmas Day Top of the Pops stuck in a time freeze

Gripper StebsonGripper Stebson Posts: 1,441
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I see that this year's Christmas Day Top of the Pops is hosted by Reggie Yates and Fearne Cotton again! No surprise there atall! They've been hosting it every year since about 2004 now! Whilst they are good presenters, it would be a refreshing change if this the only episode of Top of the Pops each year could be hosted by different presenters and the change the look, feel, and format of the show. Why Reggie Yates and Fearne Cotton every year? Also I feel the show is stuck in a 2004 time freeze. Whilst the music featured is different every year, it has the same old style and format to it every single year. I can guarantee that this year's episode will include Reggie and Fearne saying things like:

"Ok we now have a guy who had an amazing 2014. He had three Number 1 hits, a sell out tour, and his new album has become the best selling album of the year. Yes it's......".

"And now we have a group of guys who had another amazing year this year...". (It'll probably be One Direction!!)

"In June there were a number of festivals taking place. Glastonbury, T in the Park, and the Isle of Wight Festival. Here are some highlights for you....".

And it will end with yet another X Factor Christmas Number 1!

Comments

• StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be fronted by Brian Pern and Annie Nightingale.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old proverb says....

If it ant broke don't fix it.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who cares, nobody but the under-12's know any of the music anyway.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never mind Totp Xmas 1979 is on tomorrow night at 930 on Bbc Four.
  • Gripper StebsonGripper Stebson Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This year's Top of the Pops...
    Presenters Fearne Cotton and Reggie Yates return to the Top of the Pops studio to celebrate Christmas Day with a special yuletide edition of the show featuring the biggest tracks and brightest stars from across the year and, as is tradition, wrap up the show with the Christmas number 1 of 2014.

2014 has undoubtedly been his best year yet and record-breaking songsmith Ed Sheeran makes a welcome return to Top of the Pops Christmas. Clean Bandit and Jess Glynne perform one of the biggest and most memorable songs of 2014. Also including Ella Henderson and breakthrough artist George Ezra, number 1 drum 'n' bassers Sigma, young pretenders Rixton, number 1 summer superstar Mr Probz and Gorgon City and MNEK with some serious bass grooves.

Hybrid boy band McBusted rock the studio, Tom Odell makes a welcome appearance and popsters the Vamps bring festive cheer with their version of a Christmas classic. And finally, boy band royalty Take That return to Top of the Pops Christmas.

Top of the Pops Christmas promises the most poptastic festive celebration of the season with the hottest talent and the biggest hits of the year.

Hmmm.... same old thing by the sounds of it. And the line-up isn't very appealing to me personally. I knew Ed Sheeran would probably be featured on it! I have loyally watched the Christmas Day Top of the Pops since I was a kid back in the 1970's. But I think this year for the first ever time I will give it a miss during our little Christmas Day family get together, and put something else on on DVD instead. An hour of our time better spent! Later on within a few days I will skim through the episode on Iplayer though for anything of interest to me that might be featured on it, which would probably be no more than 10 minutes.

2014 Christmas Day Top of the Pops pretty much the same style and presentation wise as 2004 really. Whilst look at how different the 1974 edition compared to the 1984, and then the 1984 edition compared to the 1994 edition...... Out of interest any Top of the Pops buffs able to recall who presented the 1974, 1984, and 1994 editions? I seem to recall the 1984 edition hosted by Janice Long, Gary Davies, and that disgusting Saville monster.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hmmm.... same old thing by the sounds of it. I knew Ed Sheeran would probably be featured on it! I have loyally watched the Christmas Day Top of the Pops since I was a kid back in the 1970's. But I think this year for the first ever time I will give it a miss during our little Christmas Day family get together, and put something else on on DVD instead. An hour of our time better spent! Later on I will skim through the episode on Iplayer for anything of interest to me that might be featured on it, which would probably be no more than 10 minutes.

2014 Christmas Day Top of the Pops pretty much the same style and presentation wise as 2004 really. Whilst look at how different the 1974 edition compared to the 1984, and then the 1984 edition compared to the 1994 edition...... Out of interest any Top of the Pops buffs able to recall who presented the 1974, 1984, and 1994 editions? I seem to recall the 1984 edition hosted by Janice Long, Gary Davies, and that disgusting Saville monster.

The show is popular, no need to change,
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Should be fronted by Brian Pern and Annie Nightingale.

Definitely need a LIKE button on DS
  • hearts51hearts51 Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »
    Definitely need a LIKE button on DS
    Yip, Annie Nightingale introducing Bob Segar, ELO Thin Lizzy, Squeeze and Creedence Clearwater Revival now that's a TOTP I would like to see on Xmas day :):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Never mind Totp Xmas 1979 is on tomorrow night at 930 on Bbc Four.

Yep, this is what it'll be featured in this one....
    David Jensen and Peter Powell present the Christmas special focusing on 1979's best chart hits. Includes performances from Lena Martell, Janet Kay, BA Robertson, Cliff Richard, Boney M, Gary Numan and Tubeway Army, Squeeze, Buggles, Ian Dury, Blondie, Racey, Elvis Costello, Roxy Music and Dr Hook. With dance sequences by Legs & Co

Sounds a HUNDRED times better than the Christmas Day 2014 episode to me! This 1979 episode will also be shown at 11:30pm on Christmas Day. Plus before that at 10:30pm the Christmas 1978 episode, which I don't think I caught last year.

Another idea for me, I could record that 1979 episode tomorrow night. And watch it at 2pm on Christmas Day instead of the 2014 episode!
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member

Hmmm.... same old thing by the sounds of it. And the line-up isn't very appealing to me personally. I knew Ed Sheeran would probably be featured on it! I have loyally watched the Christmas Day Top of the Pops since I was a kid back in the 1970's. But I think this year for the first ever time I will give it a miss during our little Christmas Day family get together, and put something else on on DVD instead. An hour of our time better spent! Later on within a few days I will skim through the episode on Iplayer though for anything of interest to me that might be featured on it, which would probably be no more than 10 minutes.

According to Popscene:
    December 25 1974 the presenters were Jimmy Savile/Tony Blackburn
    December 27 1974 the presenters were DLT/Noel Edmonds

There doesn't seem to be info on who presented Dec 25 1984 but it seems Lenny Henry did Dec 27 1984. Odd choice if this is correct.

December 25 1994 the presenters were Take That.

Out of interest the presenter of the regular December 22 1994 edition was Gary Glitter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Popscene:
    December 25 1974 the presenters were Jimmy Savile/Tony Blackburn
    December 27 1974 the presenters were DLT/Noel Edmonds

There doesn't seem to be info on who presented Dec 25 1984 but it seems Lenny Henry did Dec 27 1984. Odd choice if this is correct.

December 25 1994 the presenters were Take That.

Out of interest the presenter of the regular December 22 1994 edition was Gary Glitter.

Cheers.

Having looked it up further, yes there was an episode broadcast on December 27th 1984 hosted by Lenny Henry. And the Christmas Day 1984 episode unusually didn't actually feature any of the regular DJ's atall, but instead the artists featured performing did the links themselves! A clip of it is on YouTube https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Db_1IXyj7ENk&ei=mNeZVLPmEIquU_Pag7gL&usg=AFQjCNFdCHw9pj23ETmhCZpPDOsGkx2raA
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,102
    Forum Member
    I really enjoy the yearly top of the pops, the hype in the audience at the recordings is excellent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About 14.15 between songs there is a person dressed up as a snowman, he went on to hug a couple of girls, we all thought it's the ghost of Christmas TOTP past. Wonder if he was smoking a cigar.
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    Very blokey lineup. Have the girls not done much this year?
  • iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst the Christmas edition of Top of the Pops this year is somewhat uninspiring in terms of range in the artists featured I must praise Sigma, Ella and Mr Probz in terms of vocal performance.

I do think it's high time we had a new set of presenters to bring a fresher feel to the show and update it for the '10s.

Funnily enough there's been no mention of it turning 50 this year?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Five minute promo for Simon Cowell at the end.
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it (and saw myself plenty of times :p)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pothuthic wrote: »
    I enjoyed it (and saw myself plenty of times :p)

You were not the snowman with all the bling?
    Forum Member
    A.D.P wrote: »
    You were not the snowman with all the bling?

I wasn't, although I havd since invested in a snowman onesie
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,026
    Forum Member
    I was very disappointed that there were no Countdown from Number 40 to Number 1 this year,
    plus two songs were from the adverts on ITV1 - Real Love being one
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old proverb says....

If it ant broke don't fix it.

So presumably that also means "if it is broke, fix it"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    Very blokey lineup. Have the girls not done much this year?

After reading the description of the episode on the BBC website I thought that it would be another "blokey lineup" again this year. I think last years episode and the year before and maybe even the year before that have had a very blokey lineup too - pretty much all male solo artists and male groups!! It would be good if they can at least when planning the lineup, to feature some sort of balance of male and female artists appearing.

As mentioned for the first time ever in my living memory, I didn't bother to watch todays episode. Sounds like I made a good decision! I will skim through the episode on Iplayer at some point in the next week, and I'll let you know how long it took me to watch the bits of the show that interested me. I'm not expecting it to take me any longer than 10 minutes max!
  • david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five minute promo for Simon Cowell at the end.

A promo for simon cowell? It was a music video, that's all. Some people look into things farrr too muchhh.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A promo for simon cowell? It was a music video, that's all. Some people look into things farrr too muchhh.

Well done for missing the point entirely.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seemed like 90% of it was like pretty substandard early 90s dance music.

Music is pretty poor the last few years