F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Comments

• D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dansus wrote: »
    Great production, although its a shame they only gave a cursory nod to the other teams and drivers competing this year.

I agree to an extent, but thought they covered the two main stories brilliantly.

I would say 'better than Sky', except they haven't had a season review, for some utterly bizarre reason.
  • k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    There is a Barrie Sheene doc on BBC2 tomorrow evening presented by Vic Reeves.

From what I gather its in the same mould as the Patrick Stewart meets Sterling Moss and James Martin meets Jackie Stewart docs a few years back.
  • nainznainz Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know if there is a list of the music used in the BBC review. Sounded like a lot of Zimmer's Interstellar was used but there was other stuff I'd like to give a listen to.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    k0213818 wrote: »
    From what I gather its in the same mould as the Patrick Stewart meets ....
    That is going to be a bit tricky to do with our Barry.
  • mjrmjr Posts: 2,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dansus wrote: »
    Great production, although its a shame they only gave a cursory nod to the other teams and drivers competing this year.

I agree that would have made it perfect - even just another 10 minutes or so covering the rest of the teams and news would have balanced it. But still a great show, and infinitely better than Sky's effort, on the basis that they didn't have one.

If Sky were clever they could have made one and broadcast it on Sky 1 etc as well to get interest in Sports subscriptions next year, so I'm struggling to understand why they didn't have one.
  • simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed about Sky, would like to have seen such a review show on Pick...
  • David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this could be the only review your going to get from sky http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/9600373/f1-midweek-report-end-of-season-review

also when do we find out who will be broadcaster of the year?
    i think it will be sky again for the 3rd year running.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do those official "of the year" things even actually mean anything?

Certainly the "Circuit of the Year" (or whatever the official title is) certainly seems to be a "political" award (generally, the new circuit that spent squillions to get on the calendar gets it...).
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    Certainly the "Circuit of the Year" (or whatever the official title is) certainly seems to be a "political" award (generally, the new circuit that spent squillions to get on the calendar gets it...).

Bernie's big pal Putin in more photos then to come I'd guess.
  • FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    Do those official "of the year" things even actually mean anything?

It's the "Promotor" of the year, not "circuit" of the year. And lets be honest here, the Russian Grand Prix was excellently promoted. There was a good crowd, the circuit wasn't falling apart and all in all, for a maiden event, it was very well organised. Nothing political, it's just the facts.
    Forum Member
    this could be the only review your going to get from sky http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/9600373/f1-midweek-report-end-of-season-review

It might be NBC. Their coverage has been gaining traction this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    It's the "Promotor" of the year, not "circuit" of the year. And lets be honest here, the Russian Grand Prix was excellently promoted. There was a good crowd, the circuit wasn't falling apart and all in all, for a maiden event, it was very well organised. Nothing political, it's just the facts.

How do you know what the decision is based upon? Are you involved in the decision-making?

And was Russia the only well-organised event with a decent crowd?

Look at the list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_Promotional_Trophy_winners

In recent times it's Singapore, Korea, Abu Dhabi, India.

Basically it's become just whatever expensive new circuit has appeared that year, it's a sop, certainly over the last few years anyway.

Assuming they happen, want to bet on Mexico and Azerbaijan winning in the future?
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Basically it's become just whatever expensive new circuit has appeared that year, it's a sop, certainly over the last few years anyway.

Yunno except last year, when it was Brazil. :p

The new circuit winning in it's debut year is hardly surprising - nor is it anything recent (look back to 1999 and 2004, and you'll see Malaysia and Bahrain on the list). Having a brand new race means promoting the s*** out of it.

I personally would put money on Russia winning this year, and Mexico/Azerbaijan the next few. But only because it actually adds up.
    Forum Member
    How do you know what the decision is based upon? Are you involved in the decision-making?

And was Russia the only well-organised event with a decent crowd?

Look at the list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_Promotional_Trophy_winners

Assuming they happen, want to bet on Mexico and Azerbaijan winning in the future?
    eladkse wrote: »

The new circuit winning in it's debut year is hardly surprising - nor is it anything recent (look back to 1999 and 2004, and you'll see Malaysia and Bahrain on the list). Having a brand new race means promoting the s*** out of it.

I personally would put money on Russia winning this year, and Mexico/Azerbaijan the next few. But only because it actually adds up.

*Typically* if it's your 1st race, and it is (circuit facilities, track itself etc.) well received by F1 personnel at the event then it'll get the award. It doesn't always happen. I don't think that won it at all, but then again it's facilities weren't the best & it was hardly well promoted after the 1st year. Besides, it's much more difficult for a developing nation to put on an F1 race, unlike Spain who've been doing it donkeys years and who have a decent motorsports heritage.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    More made up nonsense from FOM Fan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eladkse wrote: »

Oh, I'm not saying it's a foolproof measure.

I'm just saying the award doesn't specifically mean all that much.
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    More made up nonsense from FOM Fan.

I'm surprised he's not in the running himself for the award.
  • VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure there is someone that can answer this for me in here.

I have recorded the last two Formula E races, are they worth the time watching them, or are they boring?
  • EchtiEchti Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Korea received the promoter's trophy after its inaugural Grand Prix in 2010...yeah, that was by far the best and most well-organised event that year...
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30597165

love this, more top stuff from the BBC.
    Forum Member
    Echti wrote: »
    Korea received the promoter's trophy after its inaugural Grand Prix in 2010...yeah, that was by far the best and most well-organised event that year...
    Well as it was it's 1st race, I think they did pretty well. Not easy to organise a massive event like that with no experience in the same field before.
  • racefreakracefreak Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VDUBster wrote: »
    I'm sure there is someone that can answer this for me in here.

I have recorded the last two Formula E races, are they worth the time watching them, or are they boring?

They are awesome
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really?...
    Why is it that I'm missing the whole 'AWESOMENESS' thing?

Jp
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    Here's a small New year gift,

2009 Superleague Formula Full season:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbM7X17wy_hvZkMjtyYwHAd86-ht7YxLw
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a small New year gift,

2009 Superleague Formula Full season:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbM7X17wy_hvZkMjtyYwHAd86-ht7YxLw

Cheers stefmeister, nice playlist!

I like how the official website is still up...frozen in time from the end of 2011's reduced season.
This discussion has been closed.