Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Old 27-12-2014, 17:34
gomezz
Forum Member

There is a Barrie Sheene doc on BBC2 tomorrow evening presented by Vic Reeves.
gomezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-12-2014, 21:51
D.M.N.
Forum Member

Great production, although its a shame they only gave a cursory nod to the other teams and drivers competing this year.
I agree to an extent, but thought they covered the two main stories brilliantly.

I would say 'better than Sky', except they haven't had a season review, for some utterly bizarre reason.
D.M.N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 00:09
k0213818
Forum Member

There is a Barrie Sheene doc on BBC2 tomorrow evening presented by Vic Reeves.
From what I gather its in the same mould as the Patrick Stewart meets Sterling Moss and James Martin meets Jackie Stewart docs a few years back.
k0213818 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:58
nainz
Forum Member

Does anybody know if there is a list of the music used in the BBC review. Sounded like a lot of Zimmer's Interstellar was used but there was other stuff I'd like to give a listen to.
nainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:37
gomezz
Forum Member

From what I gather its in the same mould as the Patrick Stewart meets ....
That is going to be a bit tricky to do with our Barry.
gomezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:02
mjr
Forum Member

Great production, although its a shame they only gave a cursory nod to the other teams and drivers competing this year.
I agree that would have made it perfect - even just another 10 minutes or so covering the rest of the teams and news would have balanced it. But still a great show, and infinitely better than Sky's effort, on the basis that they didn't have one.

If Sky were clever they could have made one and broadcast it on Sky 1 etc as well to get interest in Sports subscriptions next year, so I'm struggling to understand why they didn't have one.
mjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:00
simongvs70
Forum Member

Agreed about Sky, would like to have seen such a review show on Pick...
simongvs70 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:33
David_Ayling
Forum Member

this could be the only review your going to get from sky http://www1.skysports.com/watch/vide...-season-review

also when do we find out who will be broadcaster of the year?
i think it will be sky again for the 3rd year running.
David_Ayling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:54
solarflare
Forum Member

Do those official "of the year" things even actually mean anything?

Certainly the "Circuit of the Year" (or whatever the official title is) certainly seems to be a "political" award (generally, the new circuit that spent squillions to get on the calendar gets it...).
solarflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:09
pakokelso93
Forum Member

Certainly the "Circuit of the Year" (or whatever the official title is) certainly seems to be a "political" award (generally, the new circuit that spent squillions to get on the calendar gets it...).
Bernie's big pal Putin in more photos then to come I'd guess.
pakokelso93 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:16
FOM Fan
Forum Member

Do those official "of the year" things even actually mean anything?

It's the "Promotor" of the year, not "circuit" of the year. And lets be honest here, the Russian Grand Prix was excellently promoted. There was a good crowd, the circuit wasn't falling apart and all in all, for a maiden event, it was very well organised. Nothing political, it's just the facts.
FOM Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:57
FOM Fan
Forum Member

this could be the only review your going to get from sky http://www1.skysports.com/watch/vide...-season-review

It might be NBC. Their coverage has been gaining traction this year.
Old Today, 12:24
solarflare
Forum Member

It's the "Promotor" of the year, not "circuit" of the year. And lets be honest here, the Russian Grand Prix was excellently promoted. There was a good crowd, the circuit wasn't falling apart and all in all, for a maiden event, it was very well organised. Nothing political, it's just the facts.
How do you know what the decision is based upon? Are you involved in the decision-making?

And was Russia the only well-organised event with a decent crowd?

Look at the list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Trophy_winners

In recent times it's Singapore, Korea, Abu Dhabi, India.

Basically it's become just whatever expensive new circuit has appeared that year, it's a sop, certainly over the last few years anyway.

Assuming they happen, want to bet on Mexico and Azerbaijan winning in the future?
Old Today, 13:23
eladkse
Forum Member

Basically it's become just whatever expensive new circuit has appeared that year, it's a sop, certainly over the last few years anyway.
Yunno except last year, when it was Brazil.

The new circuit winning in it's debut year is hardly surprising - nor is it anything recent (look back to 1999 and 2004, and you'll see Malaysia and Bahrain on the list). Having a brand new race means promoting the s*** out of it.

I personally would put money on Russia winning this year, and Mexico/Azerbaijan the next few. But only because it actually adds up.
eladkse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:28
FOM Fan
Forum Member

How do you know what the decision is based upon? Are you involved in the decision-making?

And was Russia the only well-organised event with a decent crowd?

Look at the list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Trophy_winners

Assuming they happen, want to bet on Mexico and Azerbaijan winning in the future?

The new circuit winning in it's debut year is hardly surprising - nor is it anything recent (look back to 1999 and 2004, and you'll see Malaysia and Bahrain on the list). Having a brand new race means promoting the s*** out of it.

I personally would put money on Russia winning this year, and Mexico/Azerbaijan the next few. But only because it actually adds up.
*Typically* if it's your 1st race, and it is (circuit facilities, track itself etc.) well received by F1 personnel at the event then it'll get the award. It doesn't always happen. I don't think that won it at all, but then again it's facilities weren't the best & it was hardly well promoted after the 1st year. Besides, it's much more difficult for a developing nation to put on an F1 race, unlike Spain who've been doing it donkeys years and who have a decent motorsports heritage.
Old Today, 13:50
BenFranklin
Forum Member

More made up nonsense from FOM Fan.
BenFranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:14
solarflare
Forum Member

Oh, I'm not saying it's a foolproof measure.

I'm just saying the award doesn't specifically mean all that much.