Options

The underwhelming PS4 announcement. Tablet gaming the future?

Comments

• Options
    CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was visually stunning to be fair.

..but one interesting feature is the pushing for the streaming functionality ...the irony being of course that essentially any console,tablet or even smart tv could do it with the right software..
    ...so you can't help but wonder why bother getting an expensive piece of hardware?

I mean technically it would be possible to create and app for the PS2 which would stream PS4 games.
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    That's cute. Just a shame nobody want to invest in big budget PC exclusive titles these days, eh?

I mean with all that RAW POWER available, surely developers are FLOCKING to the PC.

Like Diablo 3, WoW, Company of Heroes, Starcraft?

The PC has plenty of 'exclusive' games, it has even more games that are developed for the PC, then down ported to the consoles and it has even more games that are up-ported to the PC.

The 'exclusive' console games are few and far between relative to all other types of games.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Like Diablo 3, WoW, Company of Heroes, Starcraft?

The PC has plenty of 'exclusive' games, it has even more games that are developed for the PC, then down ported to the consoles and it has even more games that are up-ported to the PC.

The 'exclusive' console games are few and far between relative to all other types of games.

*facepalm*
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    *facepalm*

well it was exclusive until a day ago. Similar to most console exclusive games really. Halo used to be 'exclusive'. No game is 100% exclusive if money is exchanged hands.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people are never happy. "PS4 will be a flop", yes cos you can really see the future can't you? And all those who also said PS3 would flop were spot on too :rolleyes:
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they want us to buy it in addition to the PS3 rather than a replacement? You'd think they'd realise it would sell faster if people knew they could totally ditch the PS3 and just use a PS4.
  • Options
    thapthapthapthap Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I confess, I was stoked waiting for the announcement but annoyed at the terrible stream feed, right across the net the streams were struggling and finally managed to find a VERY poor quality feed on cnet 240p max to view the upcoming graphics capabilities, plus after over an hour of waffle and speigl I was tiring of hearing about social and simple etc, I wanted to know - When is it arriving and how much do I need to save, I want to know about the power, some of the media based options though I will not be sharing videos with my mates and how many months after Japan do we get it.
    I wanted to know about backwards compatibility and it sounds like its going the emulation route rather than a direct compatibility with PS3.
    Very impressive handling of objects it seems, millions of beads dropping from the sky etc, the physics seem good and the rendering on the old guy with facial features was really good - I could see him chatting with me in elder scrolls xx
    The driving game looked good - enough cars in it and turismo has a challeneger and killzone will no doubt be good, wasn't interested in knack or whatever that little beady dude was called but fine for those around age 6 no doubt.

What are the general details on the console
    Is it a Xmas 2013 release for us or early next year ?
    Pricing ? - I am assuming close to £500
    launch titles ?
    whats inside - guts etc

I heard non of this during the waffly speigl I was fed, mind you the stream was so terrible and kept going off so during 1hour + I probably only received 15 mins properly.
    Thats a big fail for a console that is supposed to be all about networking guys.

non the less, I will be buying one - just need to know when,where and how much.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My prediction after the PS4 announcement is Kinect will take over the motion gaming market. Tablet gaming will take over everything else Ipad will do well. Wii U might be a surprise success. PS4 will be a flop with it's Vita support and lack of wow features.

The move towards social networking will struggle with Smart TV's, Sky, Apple TV offering video on demand already.

For me I doubt there will be a PS5..Sony will head the way Sega went.

In your post, you answered why "core" gaming will never die and the move to the portable market will only be a little thing they do.

PS4 will only compete with whatever xbox decides to do in the console market. Maybe the WiiU, but its not as direct so its no real threat.

Yet the casual market has LOADS of competition, no one lasts long in that market if they are used to the level of sales Sony has been getting since PSx days.
  • Options
    Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microsoft fanboy starts PS4 bashing thread and fails big time. I knew this would happen today, but i thought it would be someone else. :D
  • Options
    mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't feed the troll.
  • Options
    He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    There seems to be a lot of Sony defenders out as well. Anyone who posts any sort of negative opinion in the ps4 thread seems to be jumped upon. It's the reason why i haven't posted in there. I thought the reveal was boring and most of the games apart from one or two looked like ps3 titles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conroy wrote: »
    I guarantee that if Sony showed the box but didn't announce any specs people would still be complaining.

The Wii U was officially announced in 2011 (a week before E3 in fact) but the specs were only confirmed a year later at E3 2012 and clock speeds weren't confirmed (unofficially) until after it went on sale, 5+ months later. Nintendo still haven't officially confirmed the CPU or GPU clock speeds.
    I don't think you'll ever get CPU speed from Sony.

Too many people aren't aware that the number no longer means as much.

Jaguar runs at 1.6GHz by default. So it will be around that figure. The leaks that got the specs right (so far as what Sony has officially announced) say it was clocked at 1.6GHz with shared 32MB cache with the GPU clocked at 800MHz.

If Sony said it had a 1.6GHz 8-core CPU, people will look past 8-core and go "HA-HA! JUST 1.6GHZ MY CELERON PC FROM 1999 HAS A FASTER CPU THAN THAT!"

Just like people are saying 8GB RAM isn't enough when actually it was probably the biggest shock of the evening and very expensive, as it is GDDR5.
  • Options
    Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i cannot understand the OP seriously if you want ipad gaming go for it. Jeez
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My prediction after the PS4 announcement is Kinect will take over the motion gaming market. Tablet gaming will take over everything else Ipad will do well. Wii U might be a surprise success. PS4 will be a flop with it's Vita support and lack of wow features.

The move towards social networking will struggle with Smart TV's, Sky, Apple TV offering video on demand already.

For me I doubt there will be a PS5..Sony will head the way Sega went.

Thats a funny post :D Might be a load of bollox, but funny yes. :D
  • Options
    BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats a funny post :D Might be a load of bollox, but funny yes. :D

As somebody who would benefit immensely from the PS4 failing, it is indeed a hilarious statement to make. But them, the OP has never been known for his deep thoughts or even evidence of any thought at all.

I think the PS4 will do just fine. It's a solid machine, and we've still to here the meat of what it will do, what's going to be released on it and when we can all get our grubby mitts on it.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    That's cute. Just a shame nobody want to invest in big budget PC exclusive titles these days, eh?

I mean with all that RAW POWER available, surely developers are FLOCKING to the PC.

Err, you should probably educate yourself on League of Legends and Starcraft 2.

Crazy money is thrown at those games.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh dear:yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh dear:yawn:
    Man even the Nintendo fan boy is oh dearing!

Why is everyone glossing over the fact that the no used games was bull crap, always online was bull crap!
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    As i said in my earlier post, the Ipad or android device could be used only as a device to receive a stream of ps4 games with a ps4 controller plugged in.

In that sense the future of gaming may no longer be in a physical device called a ps4 or xbox, but instead be in an app called ps4 that you can download onto your device, be that a smart tv or mobile device, then simply log into your ps store account and plug in your controller and away you go.

If streaming takes off with this generation of consoles, i'd put £5 on it being the last proper games console made by sony.

Everything will come with playstation or xbox software ready to go out of the box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    As i said in my earlier post, the Ipad on android device could be used only as a device to receive a stream of ps4 games with a ps4 controller plugged in.

Not true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not true.

In what way?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In what way?

In that it only streams.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In that it only streams.

Sorry, i dont know what you are getting at:confused:

An App installed onto an ipad would connect to PSN and your controller would connect to the app and control the game.

That is how ps3 are going to run on the ps4 and how ps4 games will run on the vita.

How else do you think the vita will run ps4 games?

It will be a stream.
  • Options
    bluesmurfbluesmurf Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »

If Sony said it had a 1.6GHz 8-core CPU, people will look past 8-core and go "HA-HA! JUST 1.6GHZ MY CELERON PC FROM 1999 HAS A FASTER CPU THAN THAT!"

Just like people are saying 8GB RAM isn't enough when actually it was probably the biggest shock of the evening and very expensive, as it is GDDR5.

The actual speed of this chip will be interesting to know, as by default Jaguar is not an 8 core chip but 2 or 4.

The 4 core version is only a 15 watt chip and that is with graphics included, the 2 core version is 9 watts. So 8 cores should easily be less than 30 watts. I wonder if they have bumped the clock speed up a bit as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, i dont know what you are getting at:confused:

An App installed onto an ipad would connect to PSN and your controller would connect to the app and control the game.

That is how ps3 are going to run on the ps4 and how ps4 games will run on the vita.

How else do you think the vita will run ps4 games?

It will be a stream.

Ok, i see what you mean.