Options

Athletics 2015

Comments

• Options
    Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward in particular to the women's high jump as well, though it didn't quite live up to the hype at last year's outdoor European Trials. Thankfully the best performances in that season were produced when they really mattered, generally speaking.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice work by KJT in the high jump. 1.97m, so far... Morgan Lake wasn't bad either at 1.94.

Dina Asher Smith stamped all over the 60m, and seems to be running good times.

That Vinco streaming was hard work though. I swear they were uploading via a dial up connection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not bad at 1.94?! That's a good one. :p

Looks like GB will have up to three high jumpers at the European Indoors, assuming Isobel Pooley still wants to go there (and if it doesn't clash with the pentathlon). That was a cracking comp, and I really hope they can replicate those jumps in the international championships, particularly in Beijing.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not bad at 1.94?! That's a good one. :p

Looks like GB will have up to three high jumpers at the European Indoors, assuming Isobel Pooley still wants to go there (and if it doesn't clash with the pentathlon). That was a cracking comp, and I really hope they can replicate those jumps in the international championships, particularly in Beijing.

1.94m is an Indoor British Junior Record for Morgan Lake, so not bad at all. In fact 1.97m would have equalled the World Junior Record.

I wouldn't think KJT will go for the HJ as well as the Pent in Prague and I'm not sure if Morgan has declared what she wants to do at the European Indoors, hope it's the Pent though.

Here's KJT's British Record 1.97m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM0wuZQjLFQ
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Lake wants to do the pentathlon in Prague, she might have to do another one before then - she doesn't have the 'luxury' of earning an invite as defending champion, host nation competitor or top-7 European in 2014 heptathlon rankings. She needs to be a top-6 European in 2015 pentathlon rankings on 22 February - right now I think she's 5th, but I think that will change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a shame, KJT missed out on the World Indoors last year because she was ill at her pre championships Pent and then didn't get a wild card.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Lake wants to do the pentathlon in Prague, she might have to do another one before then - she doesn't have the 'luxury' of earning an invite as defending champion, host nation competitor or top-7 European in 2014 heptathlon rankings. She needs to be a top-6 European in 2015 pentathlon rankings on 22 February - right now I think she's 5th, but I think that will change.

I think Lake's preference is for the Pentathlon but as you say that's dependent on her staying up in the rankings. Handy to have the HJ as a back up plan though. What are Schippers plans for Euro Indoors? Is she doing the Pentathlon or the 60m. She's run 7.09 tonight so she looks to have a better chance in that (I wouldn't fancy her chances against KJT at the moment) and it would be a great race against Dina.

Pleased for CJ Ujah winning and qualifying for his first champs as a senior. I wonder if Dasaolu and/or Kilty will be at Birmingham next week. Would be an interesting run off for the final spot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the 2015 EIC timetable.

Pentathlon clashes with the high jump, but not the 60m. I agree that Schippers would be better off choosing the short sprint, especially considering her PB tonight.

Judging by the latest pentathlon rankings (updated after my previous post), Lake is now out of the top 6. Assuming KJT does the pentathlon, her biggest rival will be Thiam; interestingly, neither has done a pentathlon since leaving the junior age-group.

UKA policy is that if you want to be in Prague, you must attend the trials (combined eventers excepted). I think most of the Podium lottery-funded athletes have no intention of doing a full-on indoor season (for varying reasons), including those competing in Birmingham next week.

Here's one for grassmarket - Nina Kennedy of Australia has produced an outdoor WJR of 4.59 in the women's pole vault. :p
  • Options
    FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Pleased for CJ Ujah winning and qualifying for his first champs as a senior. I wonder if Dasaolu and/or Kilty will be at Birmingham next week. Would be an interesting run off for the final spot.

Teams can send up to 3 athletes per event, unless otherwise specified, so I reckon Kilty and Dasaolu will both get picked still IF they plan to compete in Prague and Safo-Antwi (2nd place in trials) doesn't get the qualifying time by the deadline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the 2015 EIC timetable.

Pentathlon clashes with the high jump, but not the 60m. I agree that Schippers would be better off choosing the short sprint, especially considering her PB tonight.

Judging by the latest pentathlon rankings (updated after my previous post), Lake is now out of the top 6. Assuming KJT does the pentathlon, her biggest rival will be Thiam; interestingly, neither has done a pentathlon since leaving the junior age-group.

UKA policy is that if you want to be in Prague, you must attend the trials (combined eventers excepted). I think most of the Podium lottery-funded athletes have no intention of doing a full-on indoor season (for varying reasons), including those competing in Birmingham next week.

Here's one for grassmarket - Nina Kennedy of Australia has produced an outdoor WJR of 4.59 in the women's pole vault. :p

As ever with British Athletics selection it's never that clear cut or simple, including the 'Performance Director's discretion' clause. Ujah has guaranteed selection as I believe has Safo-Antwi. He's just outside the indoor standard of 6.60 this year but the qualification standards also include outdoor times for last year and he ran 10.14 last summer easily under the 10.2 standard and has also demonstrated form & fitness this year. If Dasaolu or Kilty run well at Birmingham next week and want to go to Prague I'm sure they will be on the plane
  • Options
    AkilduffAkilduff Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mutaz Essa Barshim has begun his indoor season with a clearance of 2.40m (WL/AR) in Banská Bystrica, Slovakia. That's his best season-opener...although it didn't happen last season, I'd be surprised if he doesn't jump 2.46m+ this year.

If he jumps 2.44m+ indoors later this season, that'll be an indoor WR as well (he's already tried tonight).

Barshim is competing in an indoor meeting in Ireland on Wednesday, which is being televised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First WR of the season was set by Florence Kiplagat, who clocked a time of 1:05:09 in the Mitja Marató de Barcelona. Three seconds were shaved off the previous mark, which she herself set in the same half-marathon last year.

Ashton Eaton smashed his 60m hurdles PB by 9 hundredths to clock 7.51s in the Millrose Games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Entries confirmed for the Grand Prix at Birmingham this weekend. Some good line ups overall. The Men's 60m looks tasty with Kim Collins and Ryan Bailey lining up alongside the British trio of Dasaolu, Ujah & Kilty and a very strong line up in the sprint hurdles too.

http://www.britishathletics.org.uk/media/news/2015-news-page/february-2015/17-02-15-birmingham-announcement/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Women's 60m looks stacked, Ahye, Jeter, Bartolleta, Ahoure and 'Dasher', to name but a few.

But generally I would say the meeting is not as high a quality as in previous years (no Ian Stewart and his little black book?). Lots of middle distance races , but not many of the top notch Africans and generally a lot of Europeans are missing, particularly the French and Germans. Are they holding their championships this weekend?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a warm up for Birmingham our friend Andy Vermin has got into another twitter spat - this time with a certain Mo Farah Esq.

Livened up a dull Tuesday evening
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, Andy "Mr Angry" Vernon has done it again on twitter, having a pop at Mo this time.

AV: Another stellar field against @Mo_Farah on home turf this weekend at Birmingham. #joke

MF: @AndyVernonGB Shame you didn't make the line up....again #ComeBackWhenYouWinSomethingDecent

AV: Lol @Mo_Farah I think even you can work out that I can make the cut to the Indoor Grand Prix. Lets hope no one loses their shoe...

MF: @AndyVernonGB I wish you did make the cut mate so I can leave you in my dust like ALWAYS!! hahahaha #hatersgonnahate

AV: @Mo_Farah. 1) stop quoting Taylor Swift. 2) I don't hate you Mo. I would just rather watch a race than the the Mo Show. #playersgonnaplay

MF: @AndyVernonGB that's why they didn't put you in the race mate.. Cos you're an embarrassment!! Taylor swift can probably run faster than you!

AV: @Mo_Farah She probably could at the moment. Good luck for the WR attempt
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Wow, Andy "Mr Angry" Vernon has done it again on twitter, having a pop at Mo this time.

AV: Another stellar field against @Mo_Farah on home turf this weekend at Birmingham. #joke

MF: @AndyVernonGB Shame you didn't make the line up....again #ComeBackWhenYouWinSomethingDecent

AV: Lol @Mo_Farah I think even you can work out that I can make the cut to the Indoor Grand Prix. Lets hope no one loses their shoe...

MF: @AndyVernonGB I wish you did make the cut mate so I can leave you in my dust like ALWAYS!! hahahaha #hatersgonnahate

AV: @Mo_Farah. 1) stop quoting Taylor Swift. 2) I don't hate you Mo. I would just rather watch a race than the the Mo Show. #playersgonnaplay

MF: @AndyVernonGB that's why they didn't put you in the race mate.. Cos you're an embarrassment!! Taylor swift can probably run faster than you!

AV: @Mo_Farah She probably could at the moment. Good luck for the WR attempt

Popcorn time!:D:D:D

Seriously though, Andy Vernon seems like a right royal pain in the back side, first he has a go at Lynsey Sharp, and Mo Farah. If Andy reads this if you want the same type of attention as Lynsey and Mo, put in better performances on the track.>:(
  • Options
    Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women's 60m looks stacked, Ahye, Jeter, Bartolleta, Ahoure and 'Dasher', to name but a few.

But generally I would say the meeting is not as high a quality as in previous years (no Ian Stewart and his little black book?). Lots of middle distance races , but not many of the top notch Africans and generally a lot of Europeans are missing, particularly the French and Germans. Are they holding their championships this weekend?

Thank god it's back on the beeb.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Andy Vernon is a complete idiot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jo09 wrote: »
    Thank god it's back on the beeb.

Yep, nothing quite like watching field events over the shoulders of the pundits.:D
  • Options
    Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, nothing quite like watching field events over the shoulders of the pundits.:D

You know you miss the talking whilst the field events re taking place :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see Dasaolu & Kilty have pulled out. And judging by the statement on JD's website the Euro Indoors weren't ever in his plans.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    As a warm up for Birmingham our friend Andy Vermin has got into another twitter spat - this time with a certain Mo Farah Esq.

Livened up a dull Tuesday evening

I don't think there has ever been much love lost between them.