Radio 1 Masterpieces - why?

deepfroatdeepfroat Posts: 1,727
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?extend.2561

Zane Lowe will be playing four classic albums in their entirety on his Radio 1 show in the second week of November so that listeners can hear them as the artists intended.

The albums are:

Nirvana - Nevermind
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am etc
The Strokes - Is This It?
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV

Nice idea, but does anyone else think this is more suited to Radio 2 or 6 Music than poptastic Radio 1?

Comments

• Headless DickinHeadless Dickin Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about I just put the CD on myself? :confused:

Very lazy broadcasting. Another reason why Radio 1 should be got rid of.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I don't really see the point of this either...I assume it's not going to be accompanied by any comments from the band or anything?
  • Von TrappVon Trapp Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Yes, but do people in the age of I Tunes actually listen to a whole album or just download their fav stuff?
    Other download sites are available :)
  • boniobonio Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    The more I hear Radio 1 recently the more I think they're hijacking some of Xfm's programming.

Seriously, Xfm recently did a brave thing - they played a whole album track by track - Radiohead's new one. There's also the every track on an album playbacks John Kennedy does on Xposure...and what do you know...Zane is now using this format.

Xfm have been running the Residency with stars of music for months...and now R1 has it's 'Legends' feature.

Things are happening with enough regularity to make coincidence being the cause unlikely in my book, unless i'm being a little cynical.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a dumb idea. Has he completely missed the point of a radio show?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,174
    Forum Member
    There's going to be an hour-long documentary before the album gets played. Tonight, there'll be an interview with Dave Grohl, plus interviews with people influenced by the Nirvana album, including Ash.

The funny thing is, they'll be leaving the gaps in, and on Nevermind, there's a 12 minute gap between the "final" track and the bonus track, will Radio 1 leave that in without tripping the emergency override?
  • topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    I love the idea of it I think thats a great idea. Some people will have never listened to these classic albums
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The funny thing is, they'll be leaving the gaps in, and on Nevermind, there's a 12 minute gap between the "final" track and the bonus track, will Radio 1 leave that in without tripping the emergency override?

No - that would be very stupid, wouldn't it? Zane has said himself that 12 min gap will be cut.

Can I just say also, that the posts on this thread are very negative (apart from the one from topcat2). The whole point of this feature is to introduce their new younger audience (and of course, any older audiences) to four fantastic albums.

I don't think it's lazy at all - they have promoted it more than enough and it would be more lazy to continue with the same format every week. Am I right?

Yeah sure, we could just stick on the album ourselves, but what about people that have not heard of Led Zeppelin? This could open a whole new path for them, and they would have Radio 1 to thank. Or, if anyone has forgot how great these albums are, it may relive old memories!

Nobody can dispute that these are influential and fantastic albums - so where's the harm done in listening to it again?

I think this is an innovative idea and I am publicly praising Radio 1 for this new feature. Maybe more to come in the future Zane, eh?

Well done Radio 1.
  • east_boy_16east_boy_16 Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - that would be very stupid, wouldn't it? Zane has said himself that 12 min gap will be cut.

Can I just say also, that the posts on this thread are very negative (apart from the one from topcat2). The whole point of this feature is to introduce their new younger audience (and of course, any older audiences) to four fantastic albums.

I don't think it's lazy at all - they have promoted it more than enough and it would be more lazy to continue with the same format every week. Am I right?

Yeah sure, we could just stick on the album ourselves, but what about people that have not heard of Led Zeppelin? This could open a whole new path for them, and they would have Radio 1 to thank. Or, if anyone has forgot how great these albums are, it may relive old memories!

Nobody can dispute that these are influential and fantastic albums - so where's the harm done in listening to it again?

I think this is an innovative idea and I am publicly praising Radio 1 for this new feature. Maybe more to come in the future Zane, eh?

Well done Radio 1.

I second that, didn't anyone hear Zane with Chris Moyles this morning. That was quite funny.
  • dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I second that, didn't anyone hear Zane with Chris Moyles this morning. That was quite funny.

yeh my first impression of him changed, he is a good laugh and doesnt take music too seriously.
  • cubwolfcubwolf Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    I thought that you couldnt play more than 3 songs from one artist an hour? I seem to remember reading that in some prs/mcps stuff recently.
    That was in the stuff they sent to a community station so it must be different for Radio 1:confused:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as i really like the idea of this on my ipod. I think this is radio 1 running out of ideas as they now know that the station is doomed.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pgfmedia wrote: »
    As much as i really like the idea of this on my ipod. I think this is radio 1 running out of ideas as they now know that the station is doomed.
    errrrr yeah.... very doomed :/
  • rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about I just put the CD on myself? :confused:

Very lazy broadcasting.

Just what I was thinking.

Fair enough if they did a series on classic albums featuring lengthy excerpts of all tracks and background interviews throughout, but just playing the whole thing through??

Why don't they just offer the whole album as a free mp3 download and be done with it?!
  • davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange choice of albums, Hardly 'masterpieces' I suppose we should be thankful something as archaic (to R1) as a Led Zepp
    album got in at all.
  • Richard JohnRichard John Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a problem with the albums EXCEPT Arctic Monkeys.
    How the **** can they call that a masterpiece?!
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Led Zep IV (also known as symbols, or man with sticks) should be great....Misty Mountain Hop, Battle of Evermore, and of course, Stairway to heaven...
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly in the DS Music forum they're generally more positive about the albums chosen for these shows than posters in this forum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,174
    Forum Member
    Zane's said a few times that there may be a second series of this with four other albums.
  • hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Interestingly in the DS Music forum they're generally more positive about the albums chosen for these shows than posters in this forum.
    Because most here think it's a crap idea. However, when do you see GCap station trying to think of new "musical" features for their shows? None at all! (Except for the national stations).

Radio 1 is always trying to be innoative and this I think will be successful. Most here are thinking "Oh, they're only going to play the album all the way through". I'd say give it a listen. They've maixed fan reactions, interviews and all-sorts around it to be a nicely rounded feature.