Options

Gran Turismo 5

Comments

• Options
    chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the long loading times aren't actually loading, but transmitting your current progress to the server so that your friends in game can see where you are up to. The servers would have been extremely busy last night. I played well into the early hours and the "loading times" became almost instantaneous when it got quiet.

Best feature of GT5 for me compared to the earlier versions on PS2/1 is the fact it is running on a system with a hard drive. Being able to save your best lap ghost for every track makes the practice mode a lot more useful.
  • Options
    SPARKIE1984SPARKIE1984 Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mine generally arent 5 mins but i have had a 5 minute load on the main screen before
  • Options
    TMLS313TMLS313 Posts: 3,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm loving it, was up til 2 last night first trying to get that Top Gear gold (managed it in the end - yes, it's scripted and you have to use that, there's basically a line you have to take, once I'd got it I was in the lead by the Follow-Through on the second lap) and then shaving 3 thousands of a second on the old in out bit of the first licence test, which I still can't find - annoying! Have gold on all the others.

Got a cracking little car for the main racing, a '97 Honda Integra that I've made to look like this year's Team Dynamics Touring Car (oh, if only you could do decals! Basically it's white with red wheels) that I've chav'd up to the point where it does 1.17 round the Top Gear track (1.22 from a standing start, so only 4 seconds off a real Veyron!). Sold all my other cars except for the kart to fund it, now I want to save up for the racing kit mod - 110k!

All in all I'm getting what I want out of the game and for me that's £30 well spent. Think tonight I'll start off going for my National A, then do the intermediate specials... then try and get out of the doghouse with my wife (of two weeks!)...
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night I did get stages where you had just the GT logo on black back ground on screen and felt like nothing was happening, but waiting patiently came good and you got to race.

Going offline with the ps3 did stop this and everything was almost instant;)

Did try an online race last night, but failed as ps3 did freeze and could only hard shutdown to clear from it:(

I remember when Modnation racers first came out, on the loading screen that hung for ages and everyone was moaning about that, and all it was were server probs and connecting. Once that was sorted out the load up improved immensely:D

I'm sure these initial problems with servers will also be corrected here on GT5 in due coarse.

Been on for a few hours this morning and am getting well hooked now, even after losing my 1st race and coming 12th:rolleyes:
    The more you progress through this game the better its getting:D

I did unlock the top gear track last night in the special events where you drive those VW camper vans. Finding that hard as you have very little acceleration and you start at the back and you get disqualified for the slightest thing:o
    Any tips on winning that one will be gratefully received!

Go Karts are great fun too, feels very fast just I need to practise that alot more:D
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a great game but it's seriously flawed right now.

Messages saying "connection to the server can't be established".

I found the game hung on numerous occasions going from one section of the game to another, for example from the parts screen to the home screen. I had to quit and restart a number of times. In the end i did sign out of PSN and that did cure it but then i was prompted to sign in regularly. One time when i restarted the game the arrow wouldn't appear on the main menu screen and Jeff Gordon's nascar intro video was running as a backdrop without the sound.

I also found I could use the Lamborghini you get as a bonus for having the collector's edition in the lightweight championship.

So basically there are bugs in the game and there's a serious issue where network connectivity cripples the entire product. I hope these can be patched relatively quickly as if they can it'd be a great product.

For the guy talking about load times, they're pretty slow and i'm someone who played games on a Commodore 64 so i'm aware of the old 8 bit load times. We've progressed since those days though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I feel somewhat underwhelmed, graphics wise its nothing special compared todays racers. Some tracks just look bland and 2D

The engine sounds are outrageous, owning a Ford Ka back when I was 17, i know it does not sound like the KA in the game, in the game it sounds like a high performance sports car.

With the exception of the Karts, i have not had fun with this game, and gaming is about fun.

I feel like I should of purchased NFS Hot Pursuit over this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did unlock the top gear track last night in the special events where you drive those VW camper vans. Finding that hard as you have very little acceleration and you start at the back and you get disqualified for the slightest thing:o

You should be able to take a couple on the inside on the first few bends then keep your speed up and get 2 or 3 more after the follow through and then repeat for the second lap.
  • Options
    Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone got theirs from HMV yet?
  • Options
    SPARKIE1984SPARKIE1984 Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surely your not still waiting chris?????

ring them up and kick some ass man!!! they cant do this to a game like this.

tell them you want a refund and send them a turd in a box
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do I actually participate in races on GT mode? All i can find is B spec where i can direct other drivers??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    craggers wrote: »
    How do I actually participate in races on GT mode? All i can find is B spec where i can direct other drivers??

A Spec is to the left of B Spec on the screen;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ballybally wrote: »
    You should be able to take a couple on the inside on the first few bends then keep your speed up and get 2 or 3 more after the follow through and then repeat for the second lap.

Thanks I'll give that a go later:D
  • Options
    ironlegironleg Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    Has anyone got theirs from HMV yet?

Nope, still waiting too!!! And they were one of the first to send out dispatch emails. :mad:
    Already sent an email to them, I'm thinking of getting it from Tesco and sending HMV's back when (if) it turns up. They have a notice on their site saying anything bought between 1st Nov and Xmas can be returned for full refund. I'll then badger them for the postage.
  • Options
    scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironleg wrote: »
    Nope, still waiting too!!! And they were one of the first to send out dispatch emails. :mad:
    Already sent an email to them, I'm thinking of getting it from Tesco and sending HMV's back when (if) it turns up. They have a notice on their site saying anything bought between 1st Nov and Xmas can be returned for full refund. I'll then badger them for the postage.

As long as it's in the cellophane wrapping it will be fine to take back regardless of time of year. Go and get it now!!! You're missing out on a great game.

:) Mark
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks I'll give that a go later:D

This is how I did it, will spoiler tag it in case it really is the same for everyone...
    Despite being under a realistic speed for slip-streaming (drafting) there does seem to be some effect on the vans - so make sure you keep directly behind the van in front to the first corner. Take the first part of it flat, then a very quick dab on the brakes for the second part - you shouldn't drop any lower than 43mph. You should then be on the back of the 11th placed van.

Out-brake 11th and 10th into Chicago, if you've done the corner right you should just take 9th too on the exit. Now here's the first obvious scripted part, just after you get your split time (you want to be 7 seconds or less behind the leader at this point) the van in 8th will move to the left and brake just before the braking point for the entry to hammerhead - pass him ON THE OUTSIDE and brake just as you're level to him. Take that first part of hammerhead aggressively, accelerating and then hard braking for the second part and you should be able to slip inside 7th.

Try and let the van drift out of hammerhead onto the line to get in the slip-stream of 6th, you can take him just before the follow-through. Now slip-stream slip-stream slip-stream and you should get on the back of the 2nd-3rd-4th-5th battle by Gambon, after entering Bacharach flat (start your braking for Gambon on the apex of Bacharach) and you can pass all of them by the first corner.

You then have to chase down the leader. Take your corners cleanly as you know what it's like for disqualifying you for being slightly out! As you exit the hammer-head you should be right on the leader's tail, if you've exited properly you should be able to slip-stream past into the follow-through - then it's just a case of keeping it clean for the rest of the lap.

Basically, the key to it all is keeping your momentum up and using the slip-stream.

It's not as easy as it sounds though! Took me loads of goes, basically planning all that out a bit at a time (which is why it's easy for me to recall, it was like learning a script myself!)
  • Options
    Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apprently my Game has finaly arrived
  • Options
    ironlegironleg Posts: 115
    Forum Member

Has just turned up, second delivery of the day or he forgot first time!
    At least I have it now!!! :)
  • Options
    WafcSeanWafcSean Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    still nothing for me so far and the postman has been once, if it isnt here today shopto have a lot to answer for!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    ordered from amazon still nothing and posties been. i am really pissed off right now ****ing amazon dispatched it on tuesday.
  • Options
    WafcSeanWafcSean Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    ordered from amazon still nothing and posties been. i am really pissed off right now ****ing amazon dispatched it on tuesday.

mine was dispatched on monday and i was told i was guarenteed it on wednesday or even tuesday!!

Here we are a day after release and nothing, pathetic Royal Mail.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    WafcSean wrote: »
    mine was dispatched on monday and i was told i was guarenteed it on wednesday or even tuesday!!

Here we are a day after release and nothing, pathetic Royal Mail.

annoying isnt it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member

The first time I go round the Top Gear Test Track which I've been looking forward to for ages is in a bl$$dy VW camper Van with a top speed slower than a snail. Whoever though that was a good design choice is an idiot, First time I've wanted to throw my controller (wheel) through the TV for a long time :mad:

As mentioned by TMLS313 it's all about slip streaming :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    I feel for you guys, a chap at work who ordered it the same day as me hasnt received his either, im trying not to talk to him about it.

If its any consolation when it does come the servers may be working properly so you may not experience the delays i did lat night.

Hope its here for you soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scoobysi wrote: »
    The first time I go round the Top Gear Test Track which I've been looking forward to for ages is in a bl$$dy VW camper Van with a top speed slower than a snail. Whoever though that was a good design choice is an idiot, First time I've wanted to throw my controller (wheel) through the TV for a long time :mad:

As mentioned by TMLS313 it's all about slip streaming :)

I didn't find it too difficult to be honest. Took me 3 proper attempts (if you discount the once I sneezed and went off the track and the one time a van came into the side of me and got stuck there so neither of us could move).

I unlocked the intermediate race for it last night at level 7 I think and then next race is using
    an Elise 111R
    so that should be a bit more entertaining. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ballybally wrote: »
    I unlocked the intermediate race for it last night at level 7 I think and then next race is using
    an Elise 111R
    so that should be a bit more entertaining. :D

It handles like a pig though, but I was too tired to adapt to it so went to bed!