Options

has anyone used "couchsurfing" or "airbnb" when travelling abroad?

Mikey293Mikey293 Posts: 144
Forum Member
i was researching this and it sounds really good. there were obviously a couple horror stories i read, but they were from hosts who had bad experiences of their possessions stolen by guests. most seem really positive.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    No, but i intend to try it too. I do have friends who have used airbnb for their places and reported back positively so I think its worth a try. Couchsurfing is only good if you are willing to let strangers from abroad kip at your place too so it's a bit more complex.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've used airbnb to stay in someone's flat in Paris. Book somewhere with lots of positive reviews and you should be fine.

My only complaints were that the bedding was smelly and the toilet bowl brown, both of which cannot be seen from pictures! It was odd because other reviewers had commented on the high standard of cleanliness.

As for couch surfing, is it possible to join just before your trip and then cancel straight after so you don't have to have anyone stay? Or do you have to have one person stay before you can stay at someone else's?
  • Options
    redstar81redstar81 Posts: 1,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We used airbnb three times during a month in the USA. Two were fine and the third one had no sheets. They were not contactable with the numbers they left. Luckily we had friends living in the city at the time so could borrow sheets. I would still recommend using it though, it's much better than hotels. Although I think some states (NY?) are trying to legislate about it for tax reasons. Also some states have very strict rules about renting, NYC again.
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used airbnb for a weekend in Paris, it was great value, clean and welcoming. Much cheaper than a hotel.
  • Options
    denddend Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've used air bnb twice, and both times were great experiences. Much better than a hotel. Hosts were very friendly and happy to recommend things to do and how to get around the city etc. Cannot fault it.