Will they recast Peter or leave the door open for Ben?

Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
Forum Member
DTC said when he came in that he wanted to put the Beales back at the heart of the show. He's certainly done that this past year, but will he be able to continue so with two of them gone in the space of a few months? I'd have liked them to bring in a reformed Steven in his place and positioned Cindy in Lucy's but Peter seems to go to live with him in New Zealand so it looks like Cindy will be the only Beale kid for a while unless Peter's recast.

Comments

• kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I doubt they'll do anything until Jac Jossa is ready to come back from maternity leave as i'm fairly sure Peter and Lauren will leave together. At that point i guess they'll sound Ben out and start thinking about a recast depending on his reply re coming back.

Personally I'd rather they wait for him as i think he has been excellent as Peter and as far as I'm concerned is the adult version. But no one actor is bigger than the show, Peter is an important character for the legacy of the show and if Ben is unwilling to return, i think he will have to be recast in time.
  • MissMonkeyMooMissMonkeyMoo Posts: 3,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DTC said when he came in that he wanted to put the Beales back at the heart of the show. He's certainly done that this past year, but will he be able to continue so with two of them gone in the space of a few months? I'd have liked them to bring in a reformed Steven in his place and positioned Cindy in Lucy's but Peter seems to go to live with him in New Zealand so it looks like Cindy will be the only Beale kid for a while unless Peter's recast.
    I really hope they don't recast. Peter's been played by a few people now and I think considering how fundamental he has been to the show in the last ten months it would be odd if he came back in a few months with a new face. If they left it several years maybe, but even then....

maybe it would be good if Steven came back, if Peter tells him what really happened he could come to get justice for Lucy. After all, Lucy was his half sister but he's not actually related to Bobby. At the very least he could come and stir up trouble for Jane which would be very welcome by me cos I think she's dreadful for what she's done :D
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see how Peter can be on the Square with Jane.

I agree Steven coming back to revenge the treatment of Lucy by Jane is the way to go.
  • West End BoyWest End Boy Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At some point the character of Peter will have to come back to the square. Ben has been good in the role, as was the previous peter Thomas Law. Perhaps if Ben did not want to return Thomas may do so?
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Ben not being lined up for a role in X men
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Is Ben not being lined up for a role in X men

He was in the frame but one of the others was cast.
  • StroudyStroudy Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Hate it when a certain character keeps getting recasts, It took me while to get used to Ben as Peter.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Stroudy wrote: »
    Hate it when a certain character keeps getting recasts, It took me while to get used to Ben as Peter.

I wasn't keen on Ben at first but he really impressed me in the live ep. As I say in the OP, I'd rather they bought Steven in till he was ready to return (within reason), than recast again.
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Ben was pretty silly to be honest. He left because he was so over-confident in himself that he thought he was going to get a role in that X-men film.

If he was approached next year, he'll come back no doubt.

I wouldn't like Steven to return. I don't think he belongs in the Beale's and I can't stand his face! If he was recast, maybe I'd allow it. ;-)
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »
    Ben was pretty silly to be honest. He left because he was so over-confident in himself that he thought he was going to get a role in that X-men film.

If he was approached next year, he'll come back no doubt.

I wouldn't like Steven to return. I don't think he belongs in the Beale's and I can't stand his face! If he was recast, maybe I'd allow it. ;-)

We'll have to see. Quitting so quickly for a possibility of a Hollywood film probably was foolish but i actually think he is a good actor and may well have impressed casting directors with the Lucy plot, especially his work in the live segments. He could still get a lot of work off the back of this.
  • West End BoyWest End Boy Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben had also been in the West End before doing his stint on EastEnders. I am sure he will do many things.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't keen on Ben at first but he really impressed me in the live ep. As I say in the OP, I'd rather they bought Steven in till he was ready to return (within reason), than recast again.

Ben showed he is a capable actor. The thing is the Peter Beale character is hardly the most challenging. Ben has done well with the funeral stuff and the other night but he is the steady Beale. They don't need anymore nutter Beales. Ben is better getting other stuff on his CV. If they want a long term Peter they need an average plodder actor in role.
  • Fallon9Fallon9 Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've really grown to like Ben Hardy's Peter, without him we're lacking a solid young male leading man. I like Peter and Lauren together a lot too, I was looking forward to a big Beale/Branning wedding.

I think I'd leave the door open for Ben for a few years but if he's adamant about never returning look into recasting. Peter seems too vital to be gone for good.
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We always hear about so and so getting some big role and it rarely materializes, just going to an audition does not guarantee anyone a role. I'm sure 100s auditioned for whatever X-Men part he went for.
    Forum Member
    We always hear about so and so getting some big role and it rarely materializes, just going to an audition does not guarantee anyone a role. I'm sure 100s auditioned for whatever X-Men part he went for.

Yes i'm sure you're right. Hundreds, possibly thousands will have auditioned but to even get that far is an achievement. As i said in a prior post, giving up this role after less than 2 years for a chance at a Hollywood film is possibly foolish but eually, what if he'd signed another 2 year deal which stopped him filming this huge Hollywood break and he never got another one? If he is willing to face unemployment if this big break didn't happen, then that might be foolish or might be brave. Equally maybe he is happy to juggle unemployment with short term theatre work to hone his craft whilst auditioning for that big break.
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, I think it good they attempt it but its ridiculous how when the media gets wind of someone attending an audition they make out like the actor is question is being "considered" as though the film makers are thinking of handpicking said actor for a role.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would make sense if they gave it a couple of years, I heard Thomas Law was offered a return last time but turned it down
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm amazed Ben bothered to sign at all, I'd give it a couple of years before Ben returning or a recast
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting tired of all these recasts these days. I personally preferred Thomas Law as Peter, he'll never return though.
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going to miss Ben/Peter, his grief for Lucy was the only one who was true to form.

I hope they do his exit right, he should leave with vengeance and hate for Ian and Jane, I hope he doesn't even say goodbye to them. It would be totally unbelievable for Peter to forgive Ian or Jane.
  • Bart_MitchellBart_Mitchell Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Ben showed he is a capable actor. The thing is the Peter Beale character is hardly the most challenging. Ben has done well with the funeral stuff and the other night but he is the steady Beale. They don't need anymore nutter Beales. Ben is better getting other stuff on his CV. If they want a long term Peter they need an average plodder actor in role.

The best answer of all :D