If the Tories win the election ,will they kill of the BBC

Comments

• Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »
    A licence fee freeze isn't much of a cut with inflation so low or even at zero.
    The BBC won't change, it will remain the same self satisfied, London-centric organisation with the interests of the media elite at its core.

The freeze is a real terms cut of 20%. That is a huge cut. The freeze must be lifted otherwise services will close. The BBC and our other public services do not belong to 'the right'.
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    I'd like to comment on this, but I know this is a pro BBC forum.
    Totally agree , its the BBC way or the highway on here.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    The freeze is a real terms cut of 20%. That is a huge cut. The freeze must be lifted otherwise services will close. The BBC and our other public services do not belong to 'the right'.

Indeed it is and after the freeze ends I'd like to see the licence fee pegged to inflation so that BBC finances are stable. However, the Culture Secretary might decide on a harsher licence fee regime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed it is and after the freeze ends I'd like to see the licence fee pegged to inflation so that BBC finances are stable. However, the Culture Secretary might decide on a harsher licence fee regime.

Indeed so. A very, very strong message needs to be sent to this right-wing government that millions and millions of BBC listeners and viewers are watching their every move very closely. Whoa betide they do anything to deliberately damage our BBC.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good luck with that then, because I doubt the freeze will be lifted, in fact expect a bit more of it.
    It have still got until 2017 at least before it is looked at.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed so. A very, very strong message needs to be sent to this right-wing government that millions and millions of BBC listeners and viewers are watching their every move very closely. Whoa betide they do anything to deliberately damage our BBC.

I am sure they are shaking in their shoes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I am sure they are shaking in their shoes.

They need to be. You start to take away services which the majority of the country benefit from and value...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Good luck with that then, because I doubt the freeze will be lifted, in fact expect a bit more of it.
    It have still got until 2017 at least before it is looked at.

I still don't understand your desire to destroy one of the best institutions in this country when the alternative doesn't bear thinking about. The BBC makes me incredibly proud to be British. The BBC is so British too.

The freeze must end and the licence fee must rise in line with inflation. Quality costs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still don't understand your desire to destroy one of the best institutions in this country when the alternative doesn't bear thinking about. The BBC makes me incredibly proud to be British. The BBC is so British too.

The freeze must end and the licence fee must rise in line with inflation. Quality costs.
    That is your opinion which you are perfectly entitled to however I rarely watch anything off any of the BBC channels and never listen any BBC radio.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is your opinion which you are perfectly entitled to however I rarely watch anything off any of the BBC channels and never listen any BBC radio.

...and that's fine, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't contribute to it like all our public services. I am sure I contribute to services which you use which I don't. When it comes to public services, we can't just pick and choose which ones we contribute to as and when it suits. Public services need stability when it comes to funding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They need to be. You start to take away services which the majority of the country benefit from and value...

They have been doing it for years or trying to and yet people still voted them in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and that's fine, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't contribute to it like all our public services. I am sure I contribute to services which you use which I don't. When it comes to public services, we can't just pick and choose which ones we contribute to as and when it suits. Public services need stability when it comes to funding.
    But there are plenty of alternatives other than the BBC , the BBC have wasted huge amounts of money over the years and the content these days is generally average just look at their comedy output as an example. Time for a change.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It makes no difference what I want, it is going to happen anyway. Do you really think this government is going to rise the licence fee? Even if they do they will find something else for it to be used for so the BBC will still not benefit.
    Look at now, the licence fee was frozen and yet they had to pay for Digital switch over, now they have to pay for broadband and the World service. So they are paying for more with less money.
    As for being proud to be British, we really have not got much to be proud off, if you think I am proud of the BBC think again. I have never been proud to born British, it is a place was I born and that is it.

You know as well as I do that it will not end, I am expecting another freeze at the end of this one. Quality costs, but the BBC is not quality, thankfully I do not pay for it.
  • Surferman1Surferman1 Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The irony is that Radio 3, Radio 4, BBC Two and BBC Four are the staple diet of millions of Conservative voters. If anyone dares mess with even a small piece of music played after midnight, then war is almost declared. If an episode of The Archers runs a bit late there are headlines in the press the next day. Woe betide the person who is responsible for further austerity on the BBC that closes BBC Four, stops original drama on Radios 3 and 4 or stops the transmission on live concerts on Radio 3. I could also mention the world's largest music festival, the Promenade concerts, provided by the BBC, keeping millions of musicians and artists in work and the huge audiences these get, again predominantly seen by right leaning voters from the professional classes.
    The investment in original British Drama on BBC 1 and BBC 2 should not be underestimated. There is a much higher appetite for this from right leaning voters than left leaning ones. The truth is left leaning voters are the most heavy consumers of ITV, ITV2, C4 and C5 not the BBC. Not only this but Cbeebies is universally loved by parents throughout the land who know the quality of this service for their young children, not a diet of American cartoons and dross.

So, by all means, the Tory ideologists can make their case to do their worst to the BBC, but it will be their own voters who will rise up in their millions and make the most noise. I'm not sure how many Conservative MPs will be happy to push such things through, with a wafer thin majority, when their mail bag starts to fill up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But there are plenty of alternatives other than the BBC , the BBC have wasted huge amounts of money over the years and the content these days is generally average just look at their comedy output as an example. Time for a change.

I'll concede one thing to you, you clearly don't watch BBC television because what you have said is complete rubbish. I suggest you watch the BAFTAs tonight and see quality rewarded. Looks to me like you just read the Daily Mail and repeat the words of Paul Dacre robotically. Congratulations on your successful brain bypass. Now go and read the Sun and agree with the words of Katie Hopkins too.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely right. Look at the behaviour of his media empire during the last few weeks or so. Frightening the British public into voting for a right-wing government. Absolutely dreadful and totally undemocratic. He isn't even a UK citizen.

Plus the votes have not being done right.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    The real time cut of 22% is a whole of nonsense.

First of all, the TVL was priced way too high and still is. Second of all it doesn't reflect the harshness the private sector has gone through within changes to the TV landscape, with internet piracy, IPTV services and catch-up TV eating into the commercial revenue space. Third, is that the audience also watches internet feeds and videos and other entertainment options mean that less audience share are watching TV as a whole.

The BBC has been immune (and in fact increased its income from commercial activities) to all this and has real no right to ask for more cash, yet it continues to do so.

I do think that since the freeze was implemented it has made TV in this country much more bearable, with all broadcasters making improvements. Hopefully, this will continue to be the case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There really aren't. That's why the Beeb is so important. It is the standard bearer. It is where all the quality is. It forces the commercial sector to bother. The market produces a race to the bottom. That benefits no-one. Actually study what the BBC does before dismissing it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    The real time cut of 22% is a whole of nonsense.

First of all, the TVL was priced way too high and still is. Second of all it doesn't reflect the harshness the private sector has gone through within changes to the TV landscape, with internet piracy, IPTV services and catch-up TV eating into the commercial revenue space. Third, is that the audience also watches internet feeds and videos and other entertainment options mean that less audience share are watching TV as a whole.

The BBC has been immune (and in fact increased its income from commercial activities) to all this and has real no right to ask for more cash, yet it continues to do so.

I do think that since the freeze was implemented it has made TV in this country much more bearable, with all broadcasters making improvements. Hopefully, this will continue to be the case.

40p a day per household is not to high.

The commercial sector gets higher income than the BBC and Pay tv gets even more...yet the quality and variety is all on the BBC. Private is never ever the answer. It never results in what people think it will. It's always a poorer 'service', more repeats, lower investment in original UK programming, more imports (who wants to see American imports? Not me), interruptions for ads (if they carry ads too) and much higher charges too.

Private = elitism. The BBC provides quality for all. That is a good thing and that is how it should remain.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    There really aren't. That's why the Beeb is so important. It is the standard bearer. It is where all the quality is. .

It isn't. It has become a boring mono culture borefest.

Even George Osborne points this out!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you have evidence of George's quote? You clearly don't watch or listen to the BBC much do you. I know because what you say doesn't match reality at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The evidence isn't in your favour and it would seem you are in a minority with your opinion. The BBC is more popular in both its share of viewers and in audience appreciation than 5 years ago. I don't know what Osborne has got to do with anything. He's not exactly a beacon for the creative arts industry and his personality and tastes are best described as boring and dullness.
  • fatboy75fatboy75 Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    if the tory government got rid of BBC privatisation bet they would still keep LF or whatever they change it to £4 billion tax money is a lot of money you know
    And if there's no BBC what do you think will happen to freeview do you think itv c4 and c5 will keep it going
    Or would uncle Murdoch will come in and save the day with his paywall TV
    And how much more do you think he'll start charging then
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surferman1 wrote: »
    I'll concede one thing to you, you clearly don't watch BBC television because what you have said is complete rubbish. I suggest you watch the BAFTAs tonight and see quality rewarded. Looks to me like you just read the Daily Mail and repeat the words of Paul Dacre robotically. Congratulations on your successful brain bypass. Now go and read the Sun and agree with the words of Katie Hopkins too.
    Wrong on so many fronts , for starters I never repeat never buy nor read online the Daily Mail and The Sun certainly not. I've never claimed to not watch the BBC in fact my wording was I watched very little and we never use the BBC radio for me the license fee represents poor value. No amount of insults will change my opinion. ;-)
  • Steve1977Steve1977 Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Start by dealing with Murdoch. He is far, far to powerful. Everyone should be concerned about it and the influence he wields.

Well Labour didnt do anything about it did they? It's only the Tory led coalition that actually did something about Murdoch and his papers and they even got the News of the World shut down. "not on my watch" was David Cameron's response and he's the only prime minister who's had the guts to do anything about it.