Options

How awful do you think life was in medieval Britain?

marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
Forum Member
✭✭✭
taking the bad weather conditions and food supplies into consideration, how bad do you think life was back in the dark ages?

Comments

• Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on whether you were a noble or serf. For a noble, life would not be so bad. If you were a serf, pretty horrible. I would like to time travel back there for a day, and on balance be a serf. That way when I return to my humdrum 2014 life, I would appreciate how easy I have it.
  • Options
    chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It must have been absolutely shite. Cramped houses, earth floors, beds full of lice, no water on tap, no democracy, barbaric surgery, high risk of death from disease, just horrible.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was probably worse than you could ever imagine.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    It was day to day life, the normal existence and quite manageable, and way better than living in mud huts or caves like their predecessors did.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't knock the weather ;-) Remember the so-called "Medieval Warm Period" between mini-ice ages or downturns in mean temperatures.

As for the quality of life - it improved immensely after the Black Death; did you ever see Betany Hughes' Seven Ages of Britain series? In the wake of the Black Death, with a quarter of the population dead, even serfs had it better because they could up sticks and go to where people offered them better wages for their efforts ;-) Even the physical labour of the lowest in society became a valuable commodity when it was in short supply.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No smartphones, no MacDonalds, no foot-spas, no Plenty towels, no fuschia toilet paper impregnated with shea butter: life must have been intolerable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you were rich it would have been a lot better. I would like to go back to experience it but only if i was rich. Living in a castle with a queen.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As compared to today's standards, pretty bloody awful obviously, but then they'd have said the same thing about their ancestors, just as our descendants will about us. We still have serfs and nobles, poverty, inequality, territorial wars etc today. Nothing's really changed.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect they sat round the fire of an evening thanking their lucky stars they had not been born in the bad old Iron Age or Dark Age.
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on whether you were a noble or serf. For a noble, life would not be so bad. If you were a serf, pretty horrible.

I'd say the standard of living I enjoy today, as a humble "serf", is far better than a "noble" living in medieval times.
  • Options
    SalfordPrincessSalfordPrincess Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    horrific I imagine.No dental care or drugs for women in labour.I for one would not have coped back then
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having watched "Tudor Monastry farm" looks like hard work, but not without some reliefs and comforts. Very much like "The Good Life" so many people today claim to want;-)

If you managed to survive infancy then you could probably look forward to a life span not really bettered until the 20th century (health took a big knock during Industrialisation).
    Of course the Black Death was bad, and there were plenty of wars you could get caught up in like "The Anarchy" during the 12th century, the Norman invasion and Viking raids. But between times it was probably better as a serf than, say, a Victorian factory worker/miner.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    It was day to day life, the normal existence and quite manageable, and way better than living in mud huts or caves like their predecessors did.
    ^ This. All the rest are pointless comparisons with modern day life.... a life that didn't yet exist.

I mean really, think about it. Apart from the social pecking order, how would you know anything better? What was there to compare to?
  • Options
    GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mean really, think about it. Apart from the social pecking order, how would you know anything better? What was there to compare to?

Agreed. They had no idea that they had no chemically tangoed bimbos, 'pop moguls' or reality TV, so could never know how truly blessed they really were.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as has been mentioned, there was nothing to compare it with except previous times which werent that different. in 1300 you were at the most developed humans had ever been at, so youd know no better.

hard work, dirty homes, animals, rats, poor sanitation, the threat of death or disease never far away. no wonder christianity took off with its promis of a 'better place' to go to after death.

but on the plus side... meadows full of flowers, abundant butterflies, birdsong would be plentiful, no pollution, i dont think it would be too bad for many youd just be used to it.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    It would probably be okay as long as you were young and healthy, as soon as something went wrong physically it would be a bit rubbish though. It would be far less secure as well I expect, unless you were rich you were really only one bad season away from being hungry, and there were no real safety nets for people who were unlucky and lost everything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to mention the "Tudor Monastery Farm" series earlier; very little changed from the High Middle Ages into the Tudor period, even the fashions were very much the same. IIRC the only reason that those reconstructionists attempt life on the particular farms/environments they do is they have virtually 100% complete records of life on the ones they select.

Monasteries were hotbeds of agricultural life from the Dark Ages on - when they literally were little bubbles of light and life amid the tribal chaos all around. By the Middle Ages they were highly productive agricultural colonies, exploiting every single natural resource in Church land...

When they vanished as economic powerhouses with the destruction and havoc wreaked by Henry VIII, their place in the economy was taken by the estates of the landed gentry, by the early 1800s, "service" and its guarantee of a living for life (if you didn't fvck up!) was what people aspired to - up to one in six of the entire population was in service in England in 1805, for example.

However - as for the people of the Middle Ages not knowing any better, I wouldn't assume so ;-) They had all the remnants and ruins of "the Old Romans" around them, some of it still in use - a late Dark Age/early Medieval monastery here in Northern Ireland was discovered a few years ago to have been using a design of tidal water mill cribbed exactly from the Roman era! They would have seen and been familiar with the remains and ruins of villas with underfloor heating, aqueducts for piped water etc. etc...

...and away beyond the horizon there was still, all through the Dark Ages and the early Medieval period, a miraculous place where all this still worked! Where the Old Romans still had their civilization...
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd imagine it was very smelly.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No 50" tv :o
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marc_p88 wrote: »
    taking the bad weather conditions and food supplies into consideration, how bad do you think life was back in the dark ages?

Well anyone hoping to claim benefits would be in for a shock...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No 50" tv

...but live, all-star, public executions!
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I would imagine it was very, very smelly.
    Baths only once a year.
    Bedding of furs that were never cleaned.
    Excrement and rubbish everywhere.
    It must have reeked to high heaven.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I need to wear specs/contact lenses, if I was around back then I would be half blind! I would have also suffered really badly from my colitis as the medication I need wouldn't have been around.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Probably as 'awful' as life now will seem to people in the year 3000.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I imagine it was great if you were a dwarf, because you would be called "The Imp" and get to perform at executions or at other shows for the King.