Options

Constantine

Comments

• Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [Glenn Wool] America; where guns are fine, but words are spooky! [/Glenn Wool]
  • Options
    margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    There is no swearing on American network TV at any time.

I have just watched the trailer and he definitely used the word boll***s. As the article from den of geek says It looks like they will use British swear words like sod***g etc which I prefer to the US when they use another f word instead of f**k. I think because they are British swear words I think the network will allow it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

That's great! I had forgotten about that scene and how good Buffy could be. I must say I think Americans only have one swear word that I have ever heard in TV or the movies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just reading hat Fox are jumping on the bandwagon and going for DC comics Lucifer. I really think there s a danger that viewers will become sick of all this.
  • Options
    111roy111111roy111 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Anyone watch this last night?
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Constantine first episode is also available on Amazon Prime Instant Video so I guess this is both UK and US pace thread for the show now!

I've yet to watch the first episode yet as I plan to watch it later!
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    It was an okay opener; think this will be another slow start that'll pick up toward the end though as series' go. Bit crap that Liv's character wont be a regular (cause Lucy Griffiths is quite hot) but I suppose they can always bring her back at a later date if they so desire.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ditching Lucy Griffith's was the best idea they did. Dreadful actress. Pretty though, but i like talent over looks anyday.
  • Options
    K2kK2k Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Not a fan.

Constantine is supposed to be a bit of a loner, but it looks like they want to partner him up with someone.

In the comics, the character can get away with saying cheesy lines because we are aware of his past and how tough he his, but in the pilot, he sounds really bad and nonthreatening.

They've taken quite a few liberties with the character history, most notably Chaz being somehow supernatural.

The accent is particularly bad. I know the actor is Welsh, but he isn't even trying with the accent. He sounds like Rhod Gilbert.

The worst thing was that the Keanu Reeves film was much more interesting and clever and we all know how most people feel about that.

I'll watch next week as it seems they've retooled the show. The original pilot that came out a few months ago had a different ending where he teams up with Lucy Davis, but they've tacked on a new one where she leaves him a note saying she's returning to her home planet or something,

Very disappointed with the pilot, but I will give it 3-4 more episodes just in case as I really wanted this to be good.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the opener. I also enjoyed the film with Reeves but that's all I've seen of this character before.
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Is this only on Amazon in the UK?
  • Options
    F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seem to be going against the grain here but I really enjoyed that. Is she not sticking about though? I got the impression she was a main character, did that all change after filming the pilot?
    Can't beat a bit of latin and enokian symbols. The only criticism I have of it is that A - The paint must have dried really quickly for her to be able to sit on it and not have a white arse. B- Who the hell does he think he is? Stealing Castiels trench coat... Outrageous!
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, her character was dropped after the show was picked up. The show went into a different direction after the pilot. They made a small change to the pilot to explain what happens to her character.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, her character was dropped after the show was picked up. The show went into a different direction after the pilot. They made a small change to the pilot to explain what happens to her character.

I certainly hope they've gone on a different direction because there seemed to be no direction to talk of in the pilot. I don't know anything about the Constantine universe (haven't watched the film) but if K2k's synopsis of him is correct, I look forward to watching a loner-type superhero character. So I hope episode 2 is an improvement on the pilot.
  • Options
    myselfandimyselfandi Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    There is no swearing on American network TV at any time.

Constantine said sh*t and f*ck, as well as bollocks. Not that it added anything to the viewing experience, mind you.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    The problems with the source material is it's hard adults only horror, which as you say won't work very well on mainstream US tv..

So move it to HBO. The first episode was excellent, and true to the character, unlike Keanu Reeves attempt. This was John Constantine, to the core, and millions of Hellblazer fans will love that.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    I have just watched the trailer and he definitely used the word boll***s. As the article from den of geek says It looks like they will use British swear words like sod***g etc which I prefer to the US when they use another f word instead of f**k. I think because they are British swear words I think the network will allow it.

Oh, the American networks absolutely don't care if a word is considered a swear word in the UK. I have heard "w*n**r" plenty of times on US networks (said by British characters). Frankly, I was surprised when I learned that the w-word is considered a swear word in the UK. For the longest time I thought it was just ordinary British slang.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    myselfandi wrote: »
    Constantine said sh*t and f*ck, as well as bollocks. Not that it added anything to the viewing experience, mind you.

I watched the episode. He absolutely did NOT say the s-word or the f-word. Maybe you misheard him and thought you heard something you didn't. The b-word, absolutely. But as I noted in the comment above, US network censors don't care if the Brits consider a word a swear word. If it isn't considered a swear word in the US, they have no problem with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So move it to HBO.

You can't just move things that other channels have the rights to to other channels, let alone to HBO (as if HBO would even want something that is on network TV).:)
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought the pilot was ok and will give it a couple of more episodes.

It will have to get better than Ok to keep me watching though, there's only so many shows featuring Demons/angels I can watch at any one time :D
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1etch wrote: »
    Seem to be going against the grain here but I really enjoyed that. Is she not sticking about though? I got the impression she was a main character, did that all change after filming the pilot?
    Can't beat a bit of latin and enokian symbols. The only criticism I have of it is that A - The paint must have dried really quickly for her to be able to sit on it and not have a white arse. B- Who the hell does he think he is? Stealing Castiels trench coat... Outrageous!

Yes, a nice homage to Hellblazer.:)

I thought it was ok.

With Lucy binned, it will be interesting to see the direction it takes.

For people unfamiliar with his character I'll put my opinion in spoilers, although some may disagree of course.:D
    Constantine is not a hero, nor does he have a 'Scooby gang' or 'batcave', he is selfish and gets into situations, against his better judgment, putting his friends in danger or killed. How this would fit into a network series remains to be seen.
  • Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading an earlier comment that the show was retooled after the pilot has encouraged me to give it a few more episodes.

The pilot was so lacklustre that half-way through i shrank the video to half-size, increased the playback speed to 1.3x and browsed the web while it was playing in the corner of the screen.

Hopefully episode 2 will be an improvement but so far this show looks like it won't find a viewer in me.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Constantine first episode is also available on Amazon Prime Instant Video so I guess this is both UK and US pace thread for the show now!

So is this not being shown on television in the States? Can you only watch it on Amazon Prime Instant Video?
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the pilot, thought it was okay.

Does Constantine actually have powers or does he just talk demons into submission all the time?