Radio 4 discussion thread

I'm sure there's loads of posters who listen to R4 so it's odd not to have a discussion thread. I thought it would be good to share what people are listening to and get recommendations etc.

I personally can't start get going in the morning without a dose of Today over a cup of coffee and Sundays aren't complete without Gardeners Question Time sending me to sleep.

I'm currently keeping up Incarnations which is about 50 Indian lives - absolutely epic and brilliant radio.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Early Mornings are an issue for me, I still miss Radio4UK Theme and why is the weather presenter made to read out the early morning Shipping Forcast; they have had to do it for some years now and even now some read it like it's just been dropped on the desk in front of them with no warning.
  • mw963mw963 Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you about the R4 start up. It is utterly pathetic that the first thing that Pres reaches for is a trail, is that really the best they can do? Smacks of desperation to me.....

As to the early shipping forecast, my guess is that since TO's were withdrawn from Radio 4 Con there would be too much for the announcer to do at start up, so it made sense (to them at any rate, I'd have kept the TO!!) to delegate the shipping forecast to the weather person. Only a guess....

Speaking more widely, I think Radio 4 sounds very very tired and stale. Same old programmes, day in, day out. A quick look at the Radio Times of the 1970s show a deluge of strong, individual subject-based programmes. I remember them well, you tuned in because you wanted to hear someone who knew what they were talking about speaking on a specific matter.

Now we have the unscripted drivel of Start the Week, Midweek, Loose Ends, Saturday Live, You and Yours. All contain the odd gem but I for one cannot be bothered to listen to them in the off chance of hearing something outstanding.

BBC Radio Comedy needs a big refresh, there are a couple of threads on the subject on DS.

Further complaint, and I've logged this a couple of times to the BBC with absolutely no effect: what on earth has happened to the dignified pacing on the News Bulletins, particularly what should be the jewel in the crown, namely the Six O'Clock News. Since a large intake of new announcers pacing has gone out of the window, and even some of the long-standing members of the Pres Team have forgotten the importance of a short pause between subjects.

Particularly bad examples are Diana Speed (Speed by name, Speed by nature it seems on the Six O'clock News) and Caroline Nichols. In other respects they read well but it's all so undignified as they rush headlong from story to story. Even Corrie no longer paces as well as she did, but at least she is a master (mistress?) of voice inflection and so signals a new story by modulating her voice.

Zeb Soames is one of the few who normally paces the news as it should be paced.

Speaking personally I find that Eddie Mair has become a little too big for his boots and - frankly - a little self-obsessed. Before I'm taken to task on that remark I know he has a huge talent and his stint on Radio 5 in the nineties was admirable, but I can't help feeling he'd love to rename PM as "The Eddie Mair Show". Again, because he's pushed himself too far forward on that slot I've stopped listening.

Oh dear, not much to love about Radio 4 in my post, but it shows I'm afraid in practice as I don't listen other than to the Six O'Clock News and the Archers - the latter another can of worms for some I'm sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, now I feel with my previous post that I've killed off the discussion with my criticism.

Please please someone come on here and say that they LIKE Radio 4. I might be critical of it but I know it pleases many, so come on and let's hear what's good about it...!

After all few countries have anything like it, or anything like as well respected....
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Oh dear, now I feel with my previous post that I've killed off the discussion with my criticism.

Please please someone come on here and say that they LIKE Radio 4. I might be critical of it but I know it pleases many, so come on and let's hear what's good about it...!

After all few countries have anything like it, or anything like as well respected....

I love it, More or Less is awesome, just a minute is still superb and even as a bloke there's nothing like getting stuck in traffic and listening to Women's Hour.

I time my supermarket journeys to the Sunday edition of Dessert Island Disks.
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,597
    Forum Member
    Some programmes are outstanding - Just a Minute, More or Less and Last Word being good examples. I have them all downloaded as podcasts.

Sadly I agree about the magazine programming. It may be popular but it seems either like the One Show or, at the other extreme, an opportunity for intellectuals to impress each other. There's too few decent documentaries. I know they're more expensive than talking heads, but perhaps they could collaborate more with international broadcasters to produce them. TV already does this to great effect - Radio 4 seems stuck in an ivory tower.
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    I time my supermarket journeys to the Sunday edition of Dessert Island Disks.
    Just after having completed the main course? :D

It goes well with this.
    Forum Member
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    Just after having completed the main course? :D

It goes well with this.

I'm so sorry :D autocorrect hell I'm afraid.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overall I love Radio 4 but it is like your extended family. Some of it you love, some of it you can't stand and a lot of it you just go along with.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure there's loads of posters who listen to R4 so it's odd not to have a discussion thread. I thought it would be good to share what people are listening to and get recommendations etc.

I personally can't start get going in the morning without a dose of Today over a cup of coffee and Sundays aren't complete without Gardeners Question Time sending me to sleep.

I'm currently keeping up Incarnations which is about 50 Indian lives - absolutely epic and brilliant radio.

Are there other programmes on at that time in the morning, though I did hear a rumour there is something on TV around then.
  • Jack-UKJack-UK Posts: 1,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy quite alot of the dramas on Radio 4 and I listen to alot of them on the iPlayer, even recorded a few of them. I also enjoyed listening to Shared Experience yesterday which had people talking about their experiences of being held hostage.
  • soulboy22soulboy22 Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Overall I love Radio 4 but it is like your extended family. Some of it you love, some of it you can't stand and a lot of it you just go along with.

This is so true! and what an excellent thread It's like a soundtrack to my day. Wake up to Today and go to bed with the World Tonight.
  • willowwolfwillowwolf Posts: 1,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite Radio 4 shows are: The Unbelievable Truth, I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, Museum of Curiosity and The News Quiz (though it has gone downhill lately). I also love anything psychological with Claudia Hammond, and the science show (can't remember its name at the moment). Some of the dramas are good too. Other than that I find it all a bit repetitive these days and I've never liked the Archers - don't hate me! The music just turns me cold. I, perversely, like the Shipping Forecast at night as it's soothing. I still miss that quirky British music mix they used to play before the National Anthem, though. I never did understand why they got rid of it.
    Forum Member
    willowwolf wrote: »
    My favourite Radio 4 shows are: The Unbelievable Truth, I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, Museum of Curiosity and The News Quiz (though it has gone downhill lately). I also love anything psychological with Claudia Hammond, and the science show (can't remember its name at the moment). Some of the dramas are good too. Other than that I find it all a bit repetitive these days and I've never liked the Archers - don't hate me! The music just turns me cold. I, perversely, like the Shipping Forecast at night as it's soothing. I still miss that quirky British music mix they used to play before the National Anthem, though. I never did understand why they got rid of it.

What was British music mix? I was the aware of this.
  • JERRY HIPKISSJERRY HIPKISS Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=martinwatkins;78525981

Zeb Soames is one of the few who normally paces the news as it should be paced.

.[/QUOTE]

Further to my tirade against those who rush headlong through the Six O'Clock News, may I say that Luke Tuddenham (who has just read it today) paced in a much more dignified manner.

Given that he's one of the newest recruits to the news reading team I hope he can transmit his calmer approach to - particularly - Diana Speed and Caroline Nichols.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's the one. Thanks for the link. They used to play it last thing as well as in the morning and I still miss it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the one. Thanks for the link. They used to play it last thing as well as in the morning and I still miss it.

I still miss it too.It was actually called the UK Theme. I don't recall it ever been played last thing at night though.

Here is a Wikipedia page about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_4_UK_Theme
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still miss it too.It was actually called the UK Theme. I don't recall it ever been played last thing at night though.

Here is a Wikipedia page about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_4_UK_Theme

Well, I never heard it in the morning, only at night so I know they played the UK Theme then. Wikipedia isn"t gospel about everything!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I never heard it in the morning, only at night so I know they played the UK Theme then. Wikipedia isn"t gospel about everything!

OK, maybe I'm misremembering. I have always been a night owl and was sure I heard it at night before Sailing By and the Shipping Forecast. However I can't turn back time and check and everything I googled states that it was played in the morning. I must be wrong then. Apologies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, maybe I'm misremembering. I have always been a night owl and was sure I heard it at night before Sailing By and the Shipping Forecast. However I can't turn back time and check and everything I googled states that it was played in the morning. I must be wrong then. Apologies.

That's OK, no probs. we all misremember things, and I certainly agree with your comments on Wikipedia, I've said the same on DS myself.

I still wish they still had it and certainly hope they never get rid of Sailing By. What is better than been safe in bed,loved one by your side, rain or wind battering your window and Sailing By gently coaxing you to sleep.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sailing by is only on BBC Radio 4 FM and DAB just before the World Service simulcast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sailing by is only on BBC Radio 4 FM and DAB just before the World Service simulcast.

Really? I don't listen to Radio 4 LW very often (Cricket commentary occasionally) but what is on Long Wave while the Shipping Forecast is on. I would have thought it would be on long wave as that signal goes futher so anyone at sea who still relies on the shipping forecast could hear it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    The shipping forecast is always on LW (unless a problem in freq switching happens), even when TMS is on.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite Radio 4 shows are: The Unbelievable Truth, I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, Museum of Curiosity and The News Quiz (though it has gone downhill lately)

I'd seriously recommend Breaking the News & The Blame Game as alternatives to the News Quiz. I know neither are R4 and the odd joke gets lost on me due to the obscurity of NI politics but I find both a lot fresher than Jeremy Hardy's perpetual sneering.

Comedy wise I'm also a big fan of Dilemma, Fair Cop, In and Out of the Kitchen, but I'm sorry I haven't a clue and Just a Minute are by far my favourites despite the fact that they haven't really had a "new" joke for 40 years
    ...and the science show (can't remember its name at the moment)

The Infinite Monkey Cage and The Life Scientific are two of my favourites. I also occasionally listen to the Science Hour (World Service) depending on the subject matter

Beyond that, Any Questions, The Moral Maze, Money Box, and The Kitchen Cabinet are all regular listening for me. I really love the Kitchen Cabinet as it's Gardeners Question time but with cake and pies instead of veg & flowers :)
  • JERRY HIPKISSJERRY HIPKISS Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got into bed post-pub last night, found that Five Live had golf on - a sure cure for insomnia - so for the first time in years I listened to Counterpoint - thoroughly enjoyable, AND I managed some of the answers! :-)