Radio 4 discussion thread

Comments

• psmpsm Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    This thread is long overdue - well done OP.

If I had to live with just one TV or radio station then it would be R4. As others have observed then it's not all gold standard but taken as a whole it far surpasses any other TV/radio offerings. In the evening 20.00 – 23..00 – the TV is usually switched off and its R4 - to restore my sanity.

There are a few progs which I detest – and Loose Ends is one of them – don’t know who there target audience is – and it is a mish mash of Clive Anderson and guests admiring each other and false laughter.

But the vast majority on progs are laudable – with my ‘must listen’ ones including
    File on 4, Inside Science, Midweek, Natural Histories, Counterpoint, Analysis, The Bottom Line, In Our Time, Westminster Hour, Womens Hour, Life Scientific, Four Thought, More or Less, and of course Today, The World at One, and the World Tonight.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psm wrote: »
    If I had to live with just one TV or radio station then it would be R4.

Yes, I have said exactly that for many many years.
  • alex13alex13 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    As to the early shipping forecast, my guess is that since TO's were withdrawn from Radio 4 Con there would be too much for the announcer to do at start up, so it made sense (to them at any rate, I'd have kept the TO!!) to delegate the shipping forecast to the weather person. Only a guess....

I'm not sure what the setup was before but bear in mind that they only have one announcer on at that time in the morning and their main priority is preparing/reading the news. We, the listeners, don't hear a second announcer until after the Today programme has finished.

So you're probably right in saying that they have too much to do, which is a shame as I agree that the weather forecasters aren't as effective at reading the shipping forecast!
    Further to my tirade against those who rush headlong through the Six O'Clock News, may I say that Luke Tuddenham (who has just read it today) paced in a much more dignified manner.

Luke Tuddenham has been reading the Six O'Clock news for over year now and I agree that he has a good style; I'm also yet to hear him mispronounce a word. That's what I like about him and Zeb Soanes - they both care about pronuncation.
    Given that he's one of the newest recruits to the news reading team I hope he can transmit his calmer approach to - particularly - Diana Speed and Caroline Nichols.

I agree with you there, RE: Diana Speed. Conversely, I think Caroline Nicholls has a calm and clear style.

--

While on the topic of the presentation team, I heard a new male announcer this evening. Is anyone able to discern his accent? He can be heard introducing and closing: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05zgy72
  • willowwolfwillowwolf Posts: 1,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alex13 wrote: »
    While on the topic of the presentation team, I heard a new male announcer this evening. Is anyone able to discern his accent? He can be heard introducing and closing: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05zgy72

Neil Nunes? Just a guess. Anyone else have an idea?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In response to platelet ...can't seem to manage this replying to bits of quotes malarkey, sorry!...

I agree with your comments regarding Jeremy Hardy. Spot on! Thanks for the other shows. They made a refreshing change from The News Quiz and I will definitely continue with Breaking the News when it returns - I think I caught the last show.

I forgot to mention Dilemma and The Infinite Monkey Cage. I love both those shows too. Where would we be without Radio 4?
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now we have the unscripted drivel of Start the Week...

Blimey, that's a bit harsh. I can't think of many morning shows where the presenter would be able to debate the merits of Soviet architecture with a guest. Grimshaw, maybe...
  • water_carrierwater_carrier Posts: 1,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for starting this thread OP. As other posters have mentioned I think there is something for everyone on Radio 4. I enjoy the Today programme too but I also like many programmes,series and documentaries.
    Some of my favourites have to be:
    Don't log off - Alan Dein
    From our own Correspondent
    Short Cuts - Josie Long
    Soul Music - why certain songs or a piece of music reasonates with people
    More or Less
    One to one
    The Listening Project with Fi Glover
    Matthew Parris used to do a programme called Great Lives
    Broadcasting house with Paddy O'Connell
    And yes I do listen to the Archers!
    I think Radio 4 is great and yes there are going to be programmes (and presenters) that people may not like but generally I think it's a bloody good radio station, with quality programming. I think we're very lucky to have it.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    willowwolf wrote: »
    ... and I will definitely continue with Breaking the News when it returns - I think I caught the last show.

You're in luck, It's the Blame Game that has just finished. Episodes 1-3 of breaking the news are on iplayer now, Episode four is on Friday and there's ten episodes in the season so another six still to come.
  • mw963mw963 Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Blimey, that's a bit harsh. I can't think of many morning shows where the presenter would be able to debate the merits of Soviet architecture with a guest. Grimshaw, maybe...

Probably not, but I doubt that the discussion went very deep.

The point I was trying to make was that I'd prefer the "old" Radio 4 where it would be decided that a programme should be made featuring that particular contributor (and other experts) and that particular subject and a stand-alone programme would be the result, billed in the Radio Times, going into the subject properly rather than a few minutes of unscripted hope-something-useful-comes-out-and-that-people-who-are-interested-might-happen-to-be-listening......

It's the serendipity approach coupled with presenters trying to cover too many subjects that to me seems a cheap and somewhat lazy approach to radio.

But it's probably all we can expect from a broadcaster that is strapped for cash and who has - deliberately - tried to move Radio 4 off the very "highest ground" in an attempt - over the last twenty years or so - to make itself more accessible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    You're in luck, It's the Blame Game that has just finished. Episodes 1-3 of breaking the news are on iplayer now, Episode four is on Friday and there's ten episodes in the season so another six still to come.

Ooh, good news then. Thanks!
    Forum Member
    Neil Nunes? Just a guess. Anyone else have an idea?

Definitely not Neil Nunes as this is a new announcer, or at least one doing a try out. I agree with you though insofar that his tones are somewhat similar to Neil's!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alex13 wrote: »
    Definitely not Neil Nunes as this is a new announcer, or at least one doing a try out. I agree with you though insofar that his tones are somewhat similar to Neil's!

Yes the depth of tone is there. I noticed that the show he announced was made by BBC Scotland, so maybe it's a Scottish announcer, hence the slight accent? I did try and listen to a few voice clips but Neil was the only one deep enough and I couldn't really find any specifically Scottish male announcers that fit the profile - anyway, could that be a slight Scottish accent?
    Forum Member
    I think that’s just a coincidence! He was actually announcing all evening and was last heard after the midnight news introducing the weather (check Radio Player), however the shipping forecast just before 1am was read by Luke Tuddenham.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the depth of tone is there. I noticed that the show he announced was made by BBC Scotland, so maybe it's a Scottish announcer, hence the slight accent? I did try and listen to a few voice clips but Neil was the only one deep enough and I couldn't really find any specifically Scottish male announcers that fit the profile - anyway, could that be a slight Scottish accent?

It sounds a bit Welsh to me!
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    It sounds a bit Welsh to me!

Any takers as to how his name translates onto paper?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0606jxt - 11 min 30 seconds
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The closedown of BBC Radio 4 lost its charm when they launched BBC Radio 4 Extra, Through Radio 4 Extra is great to get away from The Archers and PM. Rather just wait until Six O Clock News.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't listen to adio 4 regularly, but I tuned in on Monday as Queen of the Desert was being read. What an engaging listen that book has been. At the end of each episode I feel like my mind has been enriched.

I'm glad Home Front is back where it began. While it was on a break, it was great to hear the repeat of a programme with loads of archive interviews with survivors of World War 1.

From our own Correspondent is a programme I should listen to more.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Nick Robinson to replace James Naughtie on Today. I love Nick and I think he'll ask some searching questions of our politicians.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2015/nick-robinson-today
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Desert Island Discs was not broadcast on DAB this morning. I heard the start on my FM car radio but when I got home and tuned in on my DAB set in the kitchen all I got was silence. I tried other stations and they were broadcasting. I tried other DAB sets in the house and none of them had Radio 4.
    I listened on line but kept the radio on in my kitchen and as soon as DID finished the announcer could be heard.
    Any reason for this, or was it just a technical hitch.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9am is when something weird happens on Radio 4 dab resulting in no signal, Its happened a few times but have no idea what or even where they are doing it.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Probably not, but I doubt that the discussion went very deep.

The point I was trying to make was that I'd prefer the "old" Radio 4 where it would be decided that a programme should be made featuring that particular contributor (and other experts) and that particular subject and a stand-alone programme would be the result, billed in the Radio Times, going into the subject properly rather than a few minutes of unscripted hope-something-useful-comes-out-and-that-people-who-are-interested-might-happen-to-be-listening......

It's the serendipity approach coupled with presenters trying to cover too many subjects that to me seems a cheap and somewhat lazy approach to radio.

But it's probably all we can expect from a broadcaster that is strapped for cash and who has - deliberately - tried to move Radio 4 off the very "highest ground" in an attempt - over the last twenty years or so - to make itself more accessible.

I've been listening to R4 since my late teens in the 80s. I was in Germany (Army) and suppose I got into it via LW / BFBS relays.

When I retire I will probably have R4 on all day if occasionally turned down. Today is for me unmissable. if I left the house without listening to it I would feel unprepared for the day!

I'm not a fan of the comedy and had a serious fall out when they dropped Material World / Quentin Cooper. I simply refuse to listen to the dumbed-down "Inside Science" that replaced it.

I also love The week in Westminster / From our own correspondent MOL (which demolishes most of the statistic that have been in the headlines recently) and BH. The one program that makes me rush to the off button is Saturday Live. As soon as Today finishes on Sat at 9 - click.

R4 is the only BBC radio that I listen to but I gladly pay my 40p just for that.
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Desert Island Discs was not broadcast on DAB this morning. I heard the start on my FM car radio but when I got home and tuned in on my DAB set in the kitchen all I got was silence. I tried other stations and they were broadcasting. I tried other DAB sets in the house and none of them had Radio 4.
    I listened on line but kept the radio on in my kitchen and as soon as DID finished the announcer could be heard.
    Any reason for this, or was it just a technical hitch.
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    9am is when something weird happens on Radio 4 dab resulting in no signal, Its happened a few times but have no idea what or even where they are doing it.
    The BBC National mux is dynamic and can be reconfigured several times per day.

This can confuse some radios, e.g. the Sony XDR-S1.

For example, if I'm listening to Yesterday in Parliament it changes from 80kbit/s to 128kbit/s at 9am when it rejoins R4FM. It then sounds terrible, as if the speakers were out of phase, until I select R4 again. It drops back to 80kbit/s again for the Daily Service at 9:45am when Desert Island Discs ends, so that's what's causing the problem.

Try a rescan, or try selecting R4 from the menu list instead of from a preset (or vice versa).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    The BBC National mux is dynamic and can be reconfigured several times per day.

This can confuse some radios, e.g. the Sony XDR-S1.

For example, if I'm listening to Yesterday in Parliament it changes from 80kbit/s to 128kbit/s at 9am when it rejoins R4FM. It then sounds terrible, as if the speakers were out of phase, until I select R4 again. It drops back to 80kbit/s again for the Daily Service at 9:45am when Desert Island Discs ends, so that's what's causing the problem.

Try a rescan, or try selecting R4 from the menu list instead of from a preset (or vice versa).

Thanks for the info. I did use the pre-sets (Although when I first listened it was already on Radio 4 from listening to Today) so next time it happens I'll try a select from the menu.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday is my favourite radio day and radio 4 plays a large part of that. Always catch the last 5/10 minutes of Farming Today, followed by Tweet of the Day, then Today. Desert Island Discs is always worth a listen. Between 12 and 2 I always flick between Radio 2 and Radio 4 depending on what's been discussed in the various shows on at that time. Then,later, Last Word, always a fascinating insight into peoples life's, many of whom I have never heard off until the show is on. Feedback, can be frustrating but always worth a laugh at what some people find to complain about. Then PM and 6 O'Clock news. Currently The Now Show is enjoyable enough. Then, over to Radio 2 til 10 for some much needed musical relief.
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I totally agree with the earlier comment that Eddie Mair has turned into a bit of a silly 'comedian' with his repetitive phrases and stings. So tedious! I can't take him seriously anymore.

A word of praise for the wonderful Sue MacGregor and Reunion when DID is off. Both programmes are wonderful.

I listened to Saturday Live this morning, purely to catch Matthew Bourne's Inheritance Tracks, and it was worth waiting for, but the rest of the show was utter tripe, apart from a report from a hospice.

I think Jonathan Dimbleby should be replaced on AQ. Like his brother on QT, he can't remember anyone's name, and called Peter Hitchens "Christopher", who is deceased. Didn't even apologise. He also buts in far too much. I also prefer Julian Worricker on the Saturday follow up programme, rather than Anita Anand, who likes the sound of her own voice too much. I tune in to hear the caller's views, not hers.

There are times on Broadcasting House when I feel I must be living in a different country. 3 incredibly posh people plus the presenter just to do a 15 min Sunday paper review. Steve Allen does a much better one solo on LBC. This is how the BBC wastes alot of money. In fact I read an excellent article from former R4 announcer Patrick Muirhead this week that was written 10 years ago, but so relevant today.