Current top model Android phones

SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
Forum Member
Something tells me the latest phone is not as desirable as it was 5 or so years ago - they are not getting their own multi-page threads here anyway like they used to.

I own an HTC M7 which after two and a bit years is starting to play up a little (had a lot of use) and yesterday I spent a good two hours reading up about what the newer phones are 'offering' - well it seems not much. Overheating, larger size, shorter battery life, hardly improving cameras...

I ended up ordering another new M7 - I never thought I would be doing that! The M8 and M9 are pretty lacklustre and hardly pocketable (my M7 is already almost too large). Other makes seem to be plagued by other issues too.

So what is happening with the phone market? Are they no longer innovating like they used to? Anything exciting in the pipeline?

Comments

• FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »
    Something tells me the latest phone is not as desirable as it was 5 or so years ago - they are not getting their own multi-page threads here anyway like they used to.

I own an HTC M7 which after two and a bit years is starting to play up a little (had a lot of use) and yesterday I spent a good two hours reading up about what the newer phones are 'offering' - well it seems not much. Overheating, larger size, shorter battery life, hardly improving cameras...

I ended up ordering another new M7 - I never thought I would be doing that! The M8 and M9 are pretty lacklustre and hardly pocketable (my M7 is already almost too large). Other makes seem to be plagued by other issues too.

So what is happening with the phone market? Are they no longer innovating like they used to? Anything exciting in the pipeline?

You obviously missed the really rather good Xperia range from Sony. Battery life is amazing, two days being the norm. Quality is up there with the iPhone as many reviews attest too.

The Compact is around the same size as the iPhone 6 and definitely its equal.
  • mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This forum probably isn't as popular as it once was, but there was a multi page thread about the recently released Galaxy S6. I wouldn't say overheating is an issue, all devices get hot when you stress them but they still function, and if you have a case you don't even feel the heat generated when playing games.

You do see a lot of devices above 5" now. All the flagships are large but you can still get smaller devices with good specs. Battery life isn't getting any better that's for sure, most devices I've used recently give me about 4 hours of screen on time with pretty heavy usage, they are getting thinner instead of adding larger batteries (although the S6 Active has a huge battery).

As for cameras, they have improved massively in my opinion, optical image stabilisation in many devices like the S6, Note 4, Nexus 6, G3 & G4. 4K video recording or 1080p @ 60fps. And the quality of the images and videos is fantastic, take a look at some shots from the Galaxy S6 or LG G4.

I think the hardware is getting so good that it's difficult to differentiate between devices. They all run blazing fast and do the same things, it's now more about which design you prefer or if you care about having a fingerprint sensor.

There's no phone you could buy that will get you anything massively important over the M7, there's incremental step ups every year and what I notice mostly is the speed of current devices vs older ones and how much better the cameras are (front cameras too!).
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has been significant improvement in the two years since the HTC One was released. All the flagships have much better cameras (without the HTCO purple tint as well) and the LG has knocked it out of the park with the camera on the G4, it is just better than anything else right now Battery life is also significantly better for most but maybe not on the S6.

If you look you will find all sorts of issues about every phone. I nearly got a HTCO my self a year ago to turn it into the GPE. However I was put off by reading about it's purple camera, terrible battery life and dodgy quality control. Now I am sure it is actually a great phone and most users are very happy with it. But the point is that you can be put off anything.